PDA

View Full Version : The Maelstrom

WastedWhiteBoy
27-02-2008, 07:51
Alright, I could bore everyone with how I'm new and all that jazz, but I'm really interested in...well, what the title says.

The Maelstrom is basically a mini eye of terror. A real space/warp overlap, massive warpstorm, ect. It is said to contain a large amount of Word Bearers, the Red Corsairs and countless other pirates seek refuge from the Imperium to plan their raids within it, and there are something like +20 ork empires or some such. Oh yea, and I guess a lot of Hrud infestations. I learned most of this from the 40k Starmap, but I've known about the Word Bearers and Red Corsairs for some time.

But is there much else? Or is all that is explained is its a mini eye of terror? +20 ork EMPIRES (not simply planets) suggests its huge. So I guess my main questions are:

1.Size of this place? I'm guessing that like the eye (or at least how I kinda imagine the eye) is that you really can't give it a specific size: may only look so big on the outside, but once you enter it may seem truly massive, able to contain far more planets and stars than what would seem possible at first glance.

2.How screwy is it with reality? May seem kinda vauge, but I guess what I'm getting at is it like the eye where planets can range from places like Medrengard, which has a white sky and a totally black sun with towers that rise impossibly high and dungeons penetrate to the core, to planet sized daemons that roam around and devour starships to ever changing landscapes with seas of blood one moment and of carmel the next (lame I know) or are the worlds a tad bit more normal?

3.Mutants Galore! Or not? We all know the eye contains trillions upon trillions of mutants and heretics, spawn, daemons, and creatures even more dangerous than these. However, does the maelstrom have the same tendency to replace your left arm with a tentacle or give you a two foot long daemonic tongue?

4.Whim of the gods? Not 100% sure, but as far as I know anything that is in the eye is basically the plaything of the gods. Whole planets can do battle, its inhabitants cut to the last, only to have the gods ressurect and make them do battle yet again. Same with the maelstrom?

I could think of a few more, but I don't wanna present everyone with a mass of questions. But most of all, this thread was made to just discuss the maelstrom itself. Searched across multiple forums, and online, and have found very little information about it, so I'm very interested to see what people have to say regarding it.

Sidri
27-02-2008, 08:04
As far as I remember it is quite huge, although not so dangerous. The warp storm here is some kind of natural and daemons are not common in there. Yeah, Huron has different temples an other things, but no such daemonic activity and places like Medrengard... Just dangerous...

Progena
27-02-2008, 09:38
Slightly odd point; the Word Bearers, under Kor Phaeron based on Ghalmek in the Maelstrom, seem to be taking orders from - or are at least in contact with - the Council of Dark Apostles on Sicarus in the Eye. This indicates that the Eye and the Maelstrom are connected in some way, though perhaps not physically. Might of course just be your average Chaotic Über-Psychers sending messages through the Warp in a way no Imperial Astropaths would ever dream of... Anyway, got most of this from BL's Dark Apostle.

The Maelstrom is also infested with pirates. Don't remember if that was mentioned.

The Judge
27-02-2008, 10:16
I'm unsure about Kor Phaeron *taking orders* since he is the second in command of the Word Bearers - maybe he has a degree of autonomy from the Primarch and does not have to keep in contact.

Ikkaan
27-02-2008, 12:02
Aside from not occupying as much realspace, the maelstrom is just as dangerous as the eye of terror. It lacks of detailed fluff though. Treat it as a smaller version if the ocularis terribus with less chaos forces but the same environment. The inhabitants are probably not able to perform military actions in the size category of a black crusade, but are still a threat to surrounding warp lanes and systems.

Lord Malice
27-02-2008, 22:50
The Maelstrom is a naturally occuring Warp Space/Realspace overlap with an increased amount of daemonic activity in comparrison to normal areas of space but not to the same magnitude as the Eye.

The Eye of Terror leads to the Heart of Chaos and the Realm of Chaos and so while daemons can invade worlds within the Maelstrom more easily it is not specifically a Chaotic region with a direct route to the Chaos Gods like the Eye. It won't have daemon worlds or daemons flying hither and thither as in the Eye for this reason. It is dangerous for Warp travel because it's a warp storm with increased deamonic activity as mentioned, where the Astronomicon is dim and the Imperium holds no sway, and so it is a refuge and bastion for renegades, pirates, fugitives, alien empires and various other scum et cetera.

It's like how the Eye of Terror was back in Rogue Trader.

Nazguire
28-02-2008, 00:26
I'm unsure about Kor Phaeron *taking orders* since he is the second in command of the Word Bearers - maybe he has a degree of autonomy from the Primarch and does not have to keep in contact.

Unless he wants to get knocked off right quick by the other fanatically-loyal-to-their-Prophet Primarch-Lorgar members of the Word Bearers I'd say no, he'd keep in regular contact with how he is enacting his Primarch's holy crusade (dum dum dum...):D

Leftenant Gashrog
28-02-2008, 01:24
I agree there probably is regular contact, but I doubt it would be all that frequent: if Kor Phaeron couldn't be trusted to handle the day to day running of the unholy crusade (or if Lorgar was a micromanaging control freak) then Lorgar would never have given him control over half the legion and sent him to the far side of the galaxy, let alone left him in charge for 10,000 years.

WastedWhiteBoy
28-02-2008, 02:55
Thanks for answers, though it seems that GW left the maelstrom (as some said) with little fluff, or at least much less than its counter part. Main reason I ask these questions is my chaos lord and his followers are based in the maelstrom, and I was trying to get an accurate description of their home (and the size of it, so I could make an appropriate army)

Also, another quesiton on the Word Bearers: Is Ghalmek their one world, or do they have many more in the maelstrom? I know that renegade word bearers really doesn't fit, so I'm kinda getting the image of a single, heavily fortified corrupted forge world housing all their forces within the maelstrom, much as I imagine Sicarus to house most of their forces in the eye.

BrainFireBob
28-02-2008, 06:20
It's large, the most important "local" imperial presence is the White Scars, whose homeworld of Mundus Planus (I mean, really, Plainsworld?) is nearby. In addition to pirates of all stripes, there are several entire Ork Empires within the span of the Maelstrom, giving you an idea of its size. Warp travel is extremely dangerous if the warp isn't friendly to you, and the Emperor attempted to clean it out during the Great Crusade- and decided that if he wanted enough forces left to conquer the galaxy, he'd better come back later.

The most notable forces in the Maelstrom we are aware of are the Word Bearers driven back from Calth by the Ultramarines under Kor Phaeron, whose numbers are therefore open for speculation, and the forces of Huron Blackheart, who actively recruits and loots gene-seed from other chapters. At a guess, there's one or two Daemon worlds in areas of particularly high warp activity, but thinking it of more of a series of worlds entrapped in irregular, frequent warpstorms would probably be the best image.

Gorbad Ironclaw
28-02-2008, 07:32
Just a note, but Ork Empires doesn't actually have to be all that large. Technically any independent Ork force in controll of an area is an Ork Empire.

And where does it say there are 20+ of them? I know there are some, but I don't remember it being that many.

Consider it the 'bad part of town'. It's not the "Gates to Hell" that the Eye of Terror is, but it's a place where Imperial forces can't go, and where all sorts of bad guys can seek refuge and use as base of operation.

As said, it's more like an area engulfed in permanent warp storms with I imagine localised rifts rather than the massive warp/realspace overlap that is the Eye of Terror. So not many demon worlds but plenty of chaotic worlds, if that makes sense?

WastedWhiteBoy
28-02-2008, 07:56
Got most my previous info from this WH40K Starmap (http://www.joachim-adomeit.de/wh40k/spacemap/map.html), so I'n really unsure how accurate the whole "+20 ork empires" deal is.

BrainFireBob
28-02-2008, 08:35
Yes, but if there are several, one imagines at least one of them is large. Because if I were an Ork leading a small Ork empire with several other small empires nearby, I know I'd strap on my klaw and get krumpin'.

Progena
28-02-2008, 18:37
Perhaps the most obvious difference between the Eye and the Maelstrom is that instead of a single stable exit-point leading from the Anomaly (i.e. the Cadian Gate) the Maelstrom has a multitude of possible entry or exit points.

As a sidenote, there is one other large Warp/Realspace overlay in Imperial Space; the Emperor's Wrath (or something along that line), but that's more of a constant unpenetrable Warp Storm if I remember correctly. It's even less written about, and I can't recall the exact piece of fluff, but I think it destroyed the forces of High Lord Vandire towards the end of the Reign of Blood (event attributed to the Emperors intervention).

Kandarin
28-02-2008, 18:40
It's large, the most important "local" imperial presence is the White Scars, whose homeworld of Mundus Planus (I mean, really, Plainsworld?) is nearby.

I believe the translation you're looking for is "Flat Land". Not very creative, but then, neither is "Earth".

BrainFireBob
29-02-2008, 05:40
I was trying to give them credit. Ferrus Manus was bad enough, Angron just embarassing, but Mundus Planus bothers me more than all the rest. Even naming Berzerker squads "squad killy-ax" doesn't bother me nearly so much.

Kandarin
29-02-2008, 06:09
I was trying to give them credit. Ferrus Manus was bad enough, Angron just embarassing, but Mundus Planus bothers me more than all the rest. Even naming Berzerker squads "squad killy-ax" doesn't bother me nearly so much.

Except that translated, it doesn't mean what it sounds like.

BrainFireBob
29-02-2008, 06:29
Mund, as I recall my Latin classes, means "dirt" more than "land." I was giving them the benefit of the doubt on Planus, because poetically I could see it translated as "plain," although flat is in fact more accurate.

Crazy Tom
29-02-2008, 09:32
I believe the translation you're looking for is "Flat Land". Not very creative, but then, neither is "Earth".

Dude, that's why we call it 'Holy Terra'. (Hang, that's not much better, is it? ;) )

Chaos and Evil
29-02-2008, 11:51
It's large, the most important "local" imperial presence is the White Scars,

I wouldn't call 1000 Marines an important 'local' (The Maelstrom is quite a large sector) presence.

10 Billion Guardsmen is a large presence... 1000 Marines are a tiny spec of dust. :)

IyandenAvatar
29-02-2008, 12:42
...wait doesn't Bezerker mean bear-man in old Scandinavian?
Sorry,I got kinda lost reading these threads

Gdolkin
29-02-2008, 14:10
Mundus Planus is the Imperial name for it, but the natives call it Chogoris, right?