PDA

View Full Version : I am BORED

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
27-02-2008, 12:37
Please, suggest me a semi-new game that doesn't require a million-dollar PC..

No-no list:
Racing
Shooters
World War 2 Games
Simulators,

I'm currently looking for an RPG or a strategy game, no MMORPG (lest it be free)

Halp?:o

The pestilent 1
27-02-2008, 12:44
Baldur's gate 1 & 2 and Expansions - You can pick them up in Game for Fifteen quid I think it is.
Same goes for Neverwinter Nights 1 and it's expansions.
(NWN2 is rather computer intensive)

Knights Of The Old Republic (1 and 2) are also good games, even if ragingly annoying at times (I get captured HOW MANY TIMES!)

The Lord Of The Rings: The Battle For Middle Earth is surprisingly great fun, marching vast armies across Middle Earth and pummelling Humies is way too much fun.
The Expansion may be worth a gander too.

Outlaw289
27-02-2008, 12:53
Sins of a Solar Empire :)

Chaos and Evil
27-02-2008, 13:00
Try TA Spring.

The Spring Project (http://spring.clan-sy.com/)

It's free, and awesome.

Penitent
27-02-2008, 13:30
I imagine "a million-dollar pc" is a relatively subjective term.

I have heard great things about, and played through a bit of, The Witcher.

The listed minimum requirements are very modest, though minimum requirements shouldn't be trusted. Still, with a relatively current PC and some form of dedicated graphics card, you should be able to run the game fine.

Abhorash
27-02-2008, 13:36
Ragnarok online.

Hicks
27-02-2008, 13:46
How about Oblivion? It's pretty cheap right now and it can keep you occupied for a long, long time.

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
27-02-2008, 14:50
Very nice suggestions all^^

NWN 1 has been finished,+ expansions
NWN2 Lagged :(
Baldurs gate will be bought in the future (found a box with 17! games for 300kr [not much])

Knights is.. star wars, somehow i can't find the feeking in it, sry..

Lotr will be tried aswell :)

Oblivion: lv ~l 26 Norse finished it

Spring will DEFINETELY be tried!

But thx anyway, keep em comin'

The Guy
27-02-2008, 22:09
Runescape?
Dawn of war?
Stronghold 1 is a very good game. If you can find it [very cheap now] then get it. ahh the hours spent trying to perfect a helm's deep map...

Kordos
28-02-2008, 04:30
Galactic Civ II (now in a cheap gold edition)

Gothic 3 (now in a cheap box set thingy)

I know you said no racing games but Trackmania Nations is a free single player and multiplayer trackmainia game (I dont like racing games but i am loving this)

Titan Quest (again now in cheap box set thingy)

Raellos
28-02-2008, 05:29
Galactic Civ II (now in a cheap gold edition)

Kudos to Kordos for suggesting that. Galactic Civilisations 2 is a brilliant game. I bought it ages ago and it still keeps me busy. In fact, now that you have brought it up, I might play that instead of finishing off the Dark Crusade campaign.

New Cult King
28-02-2008, 07:34
I just dug out my old copy of Homeworld 2. It's good, but the learning curve is near vertical.

Typheron
28-02-2008, 07:39
I just dug out my old copy of Homeworld 2. It's good, but the learning curve is near vertical.

Homeworld 2 is good, and if you get the right mod on it it can be better, im seconding this suggestion.

Learning curve on it is hell however.

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
28-02-2008, 08:45
Yet more nice suggestions, i am thinking of re-investing in dawn of war when the new expansion hits the market, and stronghold 2 perhaps? the first one was veeeeeery fun indeed ^_^

Homewrold 2? will have to take a look then ^^

athamas
28-02-2008, 08:50
if you can find homeworld play that aswell, great game, not so good graphics, but hellish fun...

homeworld 2 is also very good!

Satan
28-02-2008, 10:23
Oh dear god, can't believe no-one has said this yet...

I'm a big fan of the BG and Icewind Dale series and if you haven't played them yet then you're in for a world of months of RPG-goodness.

But the best RPG ever released by the developers of said games is definitively -

Planescape Torment.

Kinda hard to find in swedish stores nowadays but should be a bargain if you get it from cdon.com or similiar. I know EB games stock Balgur's gate and Ivewind series as a single package.

Tommygun
28-02-2008, 10:34
Space Hulk!
Several versions out there.
SpaceHulk-SP download @ Game Downloads (http://free-game-downloads.mosw.com/abandonware/pc/board_games_i_z/spacehulk_sp.html)
SpaceHulk-SP download @ Game Downloads
Indie: Space Hulk 1.0 released - NeoGAF (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9828145)
Indie: Space Hulk 1.0 released - NeoGAF
http://r.vinot.free.fr/spacehulk/download.html

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
28-02-2008, 11:44
Hum, Satan, i have seen that box, and i MUST get it!

Cheap!

Planescape is about what?

Satan
28-02-2008, 11:54
Withut wanting to rant, Planescape is probably the only ROLE-PLAYING game I've ever experienced where focus is on the story and dialogue rathr than combat.

It's basically D&D set in the city of Sigil (Planescape setting) and revolves around a guy who wakes up in the morgue without a memory. I think most people will agree that the story is GOOD to say the least.

Blagrot Squigbreff
28-02-2008, 12:33
Planescape is excellent, made by the same guys that did Baldur's gate and uses mostly the same engine. IIRC it's possible to finish the game only actually fighting 3 battles if you run away from the random fights and most of the side quests you can talk or bargain your way through as well.

Arcanum is another RPG where you can talk your way through a lot of things and is also loads of fun, even if I kept forgetting where the next bit of the plot wanted me to be :P.

Anarchronox is very buggy on the release version but one of the funniest RPG's I've played, plenty of good characters and scenes. Just make sure you get the patch.

You might also want to try Kohan 2 as a good fantasy RTS, the company system works really well and I've never seen another game use that although DoW units follow the same sort of idea. The first one is nowhere near as good though.

Finally another vote for Homeworld and the Gal Civ games.

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
28-02-2008, 12:51
Kohan 2? Will look into,

I just discovered that.. i do not enjoy baldur's gate (atleast not the beginning) due to the engine, but maybe it needs getting in to?

Satan
28-02-2008, 13:32
I second homeworld and arcanum.

Maybe it does. Most of us played it on its initial release back in the 90's when the engine was smoking hot and 3d was mostly just a joke. But you need to see its retro-charm; it'll grow on you. And the story and atmosphere, despite the game being about 10 years old, still beats most of what comes out on the market today.

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
28-02-2008, 13:59
Hum, it very well may, will have to wait until i get the box then :)

The pestilent 1
28-02-2008, 14:09
I second homeworld and arcanum.

Maybe it does. Most of us played it on its initial release back in the 90's when the engine was smoking hot and 3d was mostly just a joke. But you need to see its retro-charm; it'll grow on you. And the story and atmosphere, despite the game being about 10 years old, still beats most of what comes out on the market today.

"DEMAGORGON IS FREE!" still gives me chills.
Awesome.

hairyman
28-02-2008, 15:35
I'd suggest any of the Total War games, or Europa Universalis 2 or 3. Total War is great fun (although I imagine you've already played it), while EU2 and EU3 are just awesome (but complicated) historical simulations. There's a big long EU3 thread around here somewhere that will give you an idea of the game.

Someone above mentioned Witcher.... I've got a pretty good PC but it crawled through this game, and I got bored well before the finish.

edit: EU3 thread here: http://warseer.com/forums/computers-consoles/67490-europa-universalis-3-a.html

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
28-02-2008, 17:15
Total war: Totally finished all but Medieval 2 :D

Soulless Enigma
28-02-2008, 20:32
Someone already mentioned The Witcher. Admittedly, it is very computer intensive, probably more so than NWN2, but once you get it running...

Wow.

I've stated this elsewhere on this forum, but the Witcher is not a game, but a work of art. The free-form aspect to the game is jaw-droppingly amazing.

I will give this warning though - it is a very dystopian setting. There is no black and white, only grey. Even the protagonist, Geralt of Rivia, is an anti-hero at best (depending on how you play him of course), which makes for a nice change. Oh, and he's made of kickass.

The Guy
29-02-2008, 06:48
Also red alert 2. You can pick it up verrrrry cheaply now and it's provided me with at least 100+ hours of entertainment.
Maybe that's just because I'm sad though :p

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
29-02-2008, 10:03
Red Alert 2 is also finished :D

Jade_Dragon
29-02-2008, 14:06
Heroes of Might and Magic 2

Killmaimburn
29-02-2008, 18:06
Anarchronox is very buggy on the release version but one of the funniest RPG's I've played, plenty of good characters and scenes. Just make sure you get the patch.Thats the other one!! (I have two games in my attic that I installed, didn't give a chance unloaded and went on to the next big thing and never looked back (the other was clive barkers undying) All this chat about them both is making me actually think of bringing them out of the vault:D

Planescape Torment.

Kinda hard to find in swedish stores nowadaysI don't know if it helps but some sections of the webcommunity consider it abandonware (note tenuous legal thing) if you search for it you'll probably find some site has previously offered it for free, then been smacked by some firm that has bought the rights to the bargain bin sales and those sites should be able to hook you up with those new distributors.
didn't play the game much, but the soundtrack kicks but, (its another one that I rotate in the background whilst 40k-ing :D)