PDA

View Full Version : Corax and the Raven Guard

Kerrahn
28-02-2008, 02:30
Anywhere I can find background on the Raven Guard and their Primarch Corax, other than from their Adepta Astartes WD article?

I rather like the background I've read about the Raven Guard, and they're my favourite of the Chapters since I read them in my first WD (almost a year before even starting 40K), so I'd like to find out a little more about them.

Are they included at least a little in the Horus Heresy books (hopefully more than a little bit about them being massacred at Horus' fortress)?

Khaine's Messenger
28-02-2008, 02:40
Corax makes a few cameo appearances in Fulgrim, since he was part of the loyalist spearhead at the Istvaan Dropsite Massacre. But he doesn't really say much, and none of the scenes really revolve around him as much as they do Ferrus Manus.

Nazguire
28-02-2008, 05:49
Anywhere I can find background on the Raven Guard and their Primarch Corax, other than from their Adepta Astartes WD article?

I rather like the background I've read about the Raven Guard, and they're my favourite of the Chapters since I read them in my first WD (almost a year before even starting 40K), so I'd like to find out a little more about them.

Are they included at least a little in the Horus Heresy books (hopefully more than a little bit about them being massacred at Horus' fortress)?

The Raven Guard, along with the Salamanders and Iron Hands, are one of those 'neglected' Chapters of the Space Marines. The Black Templars and Blood Ravens have twice as much coverage and background and have been in the spotlight for half as long.

Pretty much, what is in the IA article and Fulgrim novel is basically what is there.

The Sabretooth card game would have some background on them surely, when it reached the Drop Site Massacres.

Tonberry
28-02-2008, 09:44
Raven Guard (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Raven_Guard)
Corax (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Corax)

Lexicanum ftw ;)

daemonkin
28-02-2008, 09:55
Removed for stupidity. I read Corax and assumed that Khaine's Messenger was talking about Shrike.

D'oh.

Spartan
28-02-2008, 10:29
Always check wiki I would Raven Guard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raven_Guard) probably much the sames as the Lexicanum

daemonkin
28-02-2008, 10:55
The old I:A article for Raven Guard had the squad colouring on the left shoulder trim:
Tactical Green
Assault Red
Devastator Yellow

But in the new SM codex they are depicted as all red on both shoulder trims.

If you look at my sig website's gallery I have continued the older markings on my army and carried it onto the vehicles as well.

The only official fluff is in I:A and I am sure is replicated elsewhere.

Hope this helps and you continue with the Raven Guard. They were a great army to play with, especially against my World Eater opponent in 3rd ed where they hated all 4 heresy chapters involved in the Drop site massacre. There is nothing like hitting on 3s against an opponent who had a helluva lot more attacks than you and fending him off in combat. We always had very close games where both our HQs would die to each other in combat.

D.

D.

leo_neil316
28-02-2008, 16:56
The reason they have red shoulder trim in the newest SM codex is that raven guard are depicted as being almost compleatly codex (ignore the stupid traits) and all the models shown are members of the third company.

Third company marines have red trim according to the 'shoulder markings' bit of the codex. Probally because the raven guard special character is the third company captain and they wanted to have a properly unified look.

Kerrahn
29-02-2008, 08:16
Thanks for the info guys.

I haven't actually started playing them yet, but I had planned to. Unfortunately, I didn't have the funds to play them in the 3rd Ed, and didn't think much of them when they were redone in 4th Ed (Tactical and Assault Squads only getting Furious Assault, and the loss of focus on guerrilla warfare and deepstrike tactics killed them in 4th Ed for me), so I instead spent the money I had then on improving my 'nids and SoB.

Hopefully they'll bring back even some of their old rules in 5th Ed. I even heard about them maybe getting their own Codex like the DA, BA, BT etc. Hopefully this does happen, then I'll see about collecting them...

Still, one day I plan to make my own Corax model (although nowhere near as cool as the Primarchs seen in GD comps).

Grindgodgrind
29-02-2008, 10:39
I always wanted to do Raven Guard, but I don't think the traits given in the current SM codex do them justice, so I kinda made a White Scar/Raven Guard hybrid for my White Panthers.

leo_neil316
29-02-2008, 14:55
The fact that the chapter whos described as deploying by drop pods more than anyone else gets limited transports is just crazy.

It going on to give the chapter who don't like the blood angels and got in a fight with the luna wolves because they thought charging at the enemy at the first chance real fast and slicing them up lots and lots of assault marines with furious charge was just the kicker though.

different13
29-02-2008, 20:22
...how is that strange?
They often deploy by dropping from atmosphere in pods, and therefore don't need to be driven around in tanks..

As for the fight with Horus, I thought that was between Corax and Horus, and was more about the latter's grandstanding personality compared to Corax's quiet (sage?) nature.

And the Raven Guard (as well as the Night Lords) have always been described as having lots of jump-packs.

Btw, OP, if you're wanting ideas on how the operate, just read Night Lords fluff and remove all instances of chaos and terror-tactics - that's pretty much all that's been described, afaik.

Highball
01-03-2008, 04:37
...how is that strange?
They often deploy by dropping from atmosphere in pods, and therefore don't need to be driven around in tanks..

Because if you take a Drop Pod, it counts as a Transport option and takes up a Fast Attack slot.

Yes, I agree that that part of the trait makes no sense.

different13
01-03-2008, 13:11
Ah, forgot about that.
Yes, TT-wise that makes no sense at all, but fluff-wise it fits perfectly.

Anyway, I hope to see Corax in a HH book, possibly one split with either Vulkan or Curze.
There's plenty of material - the split with Horus, the dropsite massacre, the rapid-growth marines, etc..

Either that, or see him appear in more books in the same way he did in Fulgrim (as a minor character, bit more fleshed out though - as Ferrus Manus was in the same book)