PDA

View Full Version : Converting Mahud to Araby

IronBrother
28-02-2008, 05:44
With the new release of the Mahud for LoTR, I have been thinking really hard about how to make it into an Araby for fantasy. I have a lot of ideas to convert and make it look cool, but I am struggling as to what rules to play "counts-as". Basically I am looking for ideas.

Drogmir
28-02-2008, 05:53
Simple Dogs of War rules

IronBrother
28-02-2008, 06:05
i want more flavour than that, i was thinking empire but how is the question

Gorbad Ironclaw
28-02-2008, 08:45
I know one guy who did an Araby army used Dark Elf rules for it. Seems to fit okay, especially if you focus on the Warriors(both with and without RXBs) and Dark Riders with maybe a unit like Executioners as elite guards etc.

Wolfblade670
28-02-2008, 10:59
What about using the Bret list like that one GW guy did for Cathay?

Duke Georgal
28-02-2008, 11:15
Use High Elf rules.

Great BS for archers, right equipment, SoA, spears in three ranks, awesome cavalry, & good magic.

You can't go wrong.

mrtn
28-02-2008, 12:47
I wouldn't use neither kind of elves, I don't see why Arabyans would be faster than ordinary humans.

Feefait
28-02-2008, 13:22
This is something I've been trying to do for years. I had given up till the Mahud models. I think the Dark Elf idea actually is one of the better ones. I don't think 1 list is going to be perfect, and definetly don't choose it because it's the most powerful. I think a blanance of some Dark Elf and Empire troops would work best. I've always felt that djinn would need to be in the list, and efreeti, so that would mean a new monster type. I aven't found anything to match.

The wood elf list might not be bad either. THe lore of magic would have ot be changed, and of course lose the move in woods stuff. But wardancers as bravos/duelists, warhawks could be desert hawks or flying carpets. Glade riders as horse archers. It would fit with a mobile archery centered army. Thing is I think you would have to worry about the movement being 5 and all that, so the points values would be off. Grrr! So close, yet so far... lol

Keep us posted on what you figure out.

mrtn
28-02-2008, 13:36
How about using Chaos? Marauders and marauder cavalry, chariots. Djinns could be some kind of daemon unit (horrors?). Add DoW archers and a couple of mages.

IronBrother
28-02-2008, 16:33
i have thought about brets as well (mainly pegasus as a flying carpet unit), chaos would be a nice fit too, for the fact that they are/can be hard hitters and tough. elves have never donned on me mainly because of their much increased movement (especially cav). i will have to debate over chaos and brets.

Duke Georgal
29-02-2008, 02:04
Flying carpets with two attacks?

Stormbrow II
29-02-2008, 03:19
Flying carpets with two attacks?
I take it you've never slipped on a carpet and smacked your head off the floor?

IronBrother
29-02-2008, 03:32
they could have all those frilly things off the sides and when those get swinging it should have impact hits (only kidding). brets seem like the best to me, although how to do the genie is kind of beyond me.

Sir Charles
29-02-2008, 03:45
i have thought about brets as well (mainly pegasus as a flying carpet unit), chaos would be a nice fit too, for the fact that they are/can be hard hitters and tough. elves have never donned on me mainly because of their much increased movement (especially cav). i will have to debate over chaos and brets.Cavalry speed could make sense Araby is suppose to have good cav.

MountainMammoth
29-02-2008, 23:59
What about wood elves?

Awesome core fast cav, which is sort of central to the nomadic arabic flare (the camel things could count as wild riders and the regular horse archers could be glade riders)
whirling dervishes (watcher of karna or some other two scimitar swinging fig=wardancers)
Elephant (use a treeman)
Light flying cav/ flying carpets (warhawk riders)
Djinn (dryads/branchwraith w/ forest spirit and some casting powers and sprites)
Light infantry (spear haradrim=eternal guard, bow haradrim=glade guard)
assassins (hasharrii=alter kindred or scout kindred even have access to poison like arrows)
Eagles (do the arabi have roc?)

It would function more like a desert ambush than Brets would, but if you have ever seen Lawrence of Arabia, that might not be such a bad thing. And as to them having elven iniative, they are using scimitars which makes them faster? As to movement, they are nomads since they have to do more moving around they are better at it than the sedentary empire or seafaring chaos.

IronBrother
01-03-2008, 02:29
@mountain, I guess I never thought about that, but WE's seem aslmost perfect thanks a lot. That pushes me a step in the right direction.

Dux Ducis
01-03-2008, 04:06
Nice idea! I'd use either Empire or DOW rules. Think about what matches your models more.

IronBrother
01-03-2008, 05:17
I think for the product range, the WE's make sense, more than I would have thought.

NakedBarbarian
01-03-2008, 07:05
If it were me, i'd get the Kislev supplement for Empire and use that, i believe the make up of the armies would be very similar with regards to mounted-archers, etc. The only problem would be the flying carpets :)

IronBrother
02-03-2008, 00:30
That is true, but GW's development team has not adjusted the rules for the gryphon legion and the winged lancers to fix their panic charging and stuff; basically you end up paying a lot more for medium cavalry. They also lack any cool magic without buying special characters and other DoW units (which I want to avoid)

rodmillard
02-03-2008, 01:03
I'm working on an araby force for the conflict tournament which is (litterally) a mix of empire and DOW. If nothing else, consider using the Bridmen Of Catrazza rules for flying carpets, and maybe a DOW Giant as a "Djinn". TBH, if you want to accurately depict araby as it's done in Warmaster you will need to include a DOW contingent, as no one army covers all of the options. On the other hand, if you want a set of rules to cover the Harad range from LOTR, maybe with some conversions thrown in, then WE seems like the best bet (it's not one I'd thought of, as I don't have the book)

IronBrother
02-03-2008, 03:37
I have not played Warmaster in a very long time, certainly not with Araby around. What is the feel of the army for that system?