PDA

View Full Version : Friendly units, pursuiit into a fresh enemy (picture situation)

juample
29-02-2008, 10:03
Look at the picture.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/83/silvanos2yc3.jpg

When the errant knights (yellow) kill his enemy, they decide to overun.

Can they charge against glade guards flank by wheeling a bit(enought movement and more to cach them) or they only move forward and stop in contact with his friendly unit (wich is closer)?

Masque
29-02-2008, 13:27
They will stop when they contact the friendly unit. If they would have contacted the Glade Guard then they would not simply make a straight forward overrun move and would be allowed (and required) to make a single wheel to maximize models in contact.

juample
29-02-2008, 13:32
But they are allowed to try the wheel to engage glade guards?

Masque
29-02-2008, 13:34
Only if they would have contacted them with forward movement. They won't as there is a friendly unit in the way.

juample
29-02-2008, 13:37
Thanks Masque.

Atrahasis
29-02-2008, 13:39
I think the idea is that you click thanks OR post thanks, not both :P

Tarax
01-03-2008, 18:46
Look at the picture.

I am looking. And what strikes me most is that you have 11(!) Knights lined up alongside each other. As we're talking about Bretonnian Knights, it just makes it more curious.
No offense, but I have seen this more often from you, and it is always followed by some question about moving that unit. Wouldn't it be much more simpler to have the unit in Lance Formation? Or at least 5 models wide, where you get a rank bonus?
I'm sorry if this sounds a bit like a rant, but the questions come from situations which IMO at not likely to appear on tabletop and need not be answered.

Benigno (WE)
01-03-2008, 18:55
That was a real situation, the other day... The tactics of having a single row KE unit is another topic.

The thing is that, do you must make a straight forward movement while overruning? or can you turn to hit an enemy?

The picture shows also that if the other bretonian unit were not there, the KE can charge the glade guards by the left flank, but if you can turn while overruning, you must make a frontal charge in order to avoid the friendly unit contact.

Weird >_<

So the main question is:

do you must make a straight forward movement while overruning?

Tarax
01-03-2008, 19:27
Yes, it's a straight line in the direction the fleeing unit is moving, or straight forward in case of a destroyed opponent. Only it this straight forward move would take you into an enemy unit would you make a wheel.

Obfuscate
02-03-2008, 19:38
The actual overrun is treated like a new charge so you dont strictly have to move in a straight line. All that's really important is that you have LOS at the time of overrun and you can make it with one wheel only.

juample
02-03-2008, 20:52
The actual overrun is treated like a new charge so you dont strictly have to move in a straight line. All that's really important is that you have LOS at the time of overrun and you can make it with one wheel only.

Overun or pursuit move, both are forward directly. If this movement makes you able to be in contact with the enemy this is considered as a charge, so you must bring as many models in combat if possible by wheeling once. But if you dont touch any enmy unit movig forward only you can't wheel.
Pg 43-44 of the BRB.

One-S
03-03-2008, 09:26
Fleeing troops move directly away from their enemy in a straight line, they turn around whit their backs towards the enemy and run away as fast as possible (no bending, wheeling, or whatever) BRB p40.

The unit going after the fleeing unit also does this in a straight line.( they want to kill the fleeing troops ASAP, no time for sightseeing).

BRB P43: (I have the BRB in dutch here, I try to translate ,but check your own BRB in case of doubt.)

Pursuiers always move the rolled distance (3D6 inch in this case), unless they come in contact whit a new opponent (see BRB P45 for details on this situation), a friendly unit or impassable terrain. In all these cases they stop moving immediately.

This leaves no place for discussion, the Knights come in contact with friendly forces, they stop moving. Since the friendly troops are closest, the knights won't be able the charge into the glade guards.

It appaers from your picture that you're only 1 inch away from your other knights, so regardless of what you rolled, the enemy gets away ( he goes at least 2 inch) and you don't get to charge the glade guard.

Benigno (WE)
03-03-2008, 10:18
It appaers from your picture that you're only 1 inch away from your other knights, so regardless of what you rolled, the enemy gets away ( he goes at least 2 inch) and you don't get to charge the glade guard.

I disagree, because you compare the rolls before moving any units, and if the unit that is trying to chase the fleeing one, has a better roll, the fleeing one is destroyed. I will try to find later de BRB reference.

But anyway, they cannot charge the glade guards.

One-S
03-03-2008, 11:33
I disagree, because you compare the rolls before moving any units, and if the unit that is trying to chase the fleeing one, has a better roll, the fleeing one is destroyed. I will try to find later de BRB reference.

I checked and it appears that you are right.

BRB P40 (again a translation from the dutch BRB)

If the pursuit distance is equal or higher then the flee distance, then you catch- up with the fleeing unit and they are destroyed there where they are standing. The troops are struck down when they turn around to start fleeing.