PDA

View Full Version : Wolf's Honour - First Impressions (Spoiler Alert)

keatsmeister
29-02-2008, 11:46
OK, just finished reading Wolf's Honour in the wee hours of this morning. Given the standard of the previous Lee Lightner attempt at a Space Wolf novel, I was a little apprehensive, but Wolf's Honour is a significant step up from Sons of Fenris (well largely it actually having a conclusion helps!).

Where in previous Space Wolf novels, we have almost exclusively followed Ragnar, Wolf's Honour is a departure in that we follow two threads. Ragnar's saga continues with it's usual unrelenting pace, accompanied again by Torin, Haegr and Gabriella. We also get a thread following the trials and tribulations of Mikal Sternmark. Early on, Berek is critically wounded, and the mantle of leading the Great Company falls to Mikal Sternmark, and we follow his tale as he is watched ever vigilantly by the skald Morgrim Silvertongue. This was a decent way to help bring Ragnar's tale into the context of the larger picture, and certainly was an interesting addition to the series, where previously the characters of the Wolf Guard had been very much held off at a distance.

I did enjoy Wolf's Honour. Some minor gripes revolve around consistency with the rest of the novels. Sure a departure can be a good thing, see my note above, however I did find it a little odd that the characters, to a man/wolf unexplainedly begun to refer to the Emperor as the Allfather, a previously unheard of term throughout the series. I also found my nerves grated a little by the constant use of the phrase "young Space Wolf" as the default description of Ragnar. Periodically this would be fine, but the frequency of its use was an irritation. That said, these are just a couple of minor gripes.

Spoiler Alert! - Highlight to read
Those of you looking forward to some 13th Company action, YOU GOT IT! Ragnar and the Wolfblade encounter a warband of the 13th Company, and join forces in their attempt to bring down Madox and recover the Spear of Russ. A particular highlight as compared to the horrifically bad attempt at trying to write in the Fallen Angels in Sons of Fenris.

On a continuing theme, the Wulfen feature heavily, Ragnar spends virtually the entire novel trying to prevent himself becoming a Wulfen, a fate that does befall a major character in a very bloody sharp left turn.

BPK
29-02-2008, 13:50
meh it feels unfinished somehow. i know theres a conclusion, but when i read it it didnt even flow as well as the hyades one. it seems unfinished and people are saying that its the last in the series. ? is this correct ?
the series took ragnar from being a human to being a space wolf. i feel we should at least learn how he became a wolf lord.

Plus spoiler, dunno how you hide it so please ignore.

NOOOO Hageer why god why !

reds8n
29-02-2008, 14:03
OK, just finished reading Wolf's Honour in the wee hours of this morning. Given the standard of the previous Lee Lightner attempt at a Space Wolf novel, I was a little apprehensive, but Wolf's Honour is a significant step up from Sons of Fenris (well largely it actually having a conclusion helps!).

Where in previous Space Wolf novels, we have almost exclusively followed Ragnar, Wolf's Honour is a departure in that we follow two threads. Ragnar's saga continues with it's usual unrelenting pace, accompanied again by Torin, Haegr and Gabriella. We also get a thread following the trials and tribulations of Mikal Sternmark. Early on, Berek is critically wounded, and the mantle of leading the Great Company falls to Mikal Sternmark, and we follow his tale as he is watched ever vigilantly by the skald Morgrim Silvertongue. This was a decent way to help bring Ragnar's tale into the context of the larger picture, and certainly was an interesting addition to the series, where previously the characters of the Wolf Guard had been very much held off at a distance.

I did enjoy Wolf's Honour. Some minor gripes revolve around consistency with the rest of the novels. Sure a departure can be a good thing, see my note above, however I did find it a little odd that the characters, to a man/wolf unexplainedly begun to refer to the Emperor as the Allfather, a previously unheard of term throughout the series. I also found my nerves grated a little by the constant use of the phrase "young Space Wolf" as the default description of Ragnar. Periodically this would be fine, but the frequency of its use was an irritation. That said, these are just a couple of minor gripes.

I pretty much agree with you 100% here, overall it was much better than I was expecting.

Also

The banter and stories the 13th company were telling merely fueled my lust for a Wolf Heresy novel.

I thought that Berek was going to die in this one, although I guess given the situation it would have been hard for Ragnar to become a Wolf Lord in this book.

Somewhat bemused as to why this would appear to be the last one in the series though ?:confused:

keatsmeister
29-02-2008, 14:13
meh it feels unfinished somehow. i know theres a conclusion, but when i read it it didnt even flow as well as the hyades one. it seems unfinished and people are saying that its the last in the series. ? is this correct ?
the series took ragnar from being a human to being a space wolf. i feel we should at least learn how he became a wolf lord.

I don't think it'll be the last, but I don't know if any further Wolf novels will bear the same author creditation. The back end of the back did seem somewhat short in length and depth, and of Ragnar's fate you learn little other than [SPOILER] he is recalled from the Wolfblade.

I think you may see a final novel of his time as a Wolf Guard, as really that is all that remains of the existing fluff to cover, and it really wouldn't need to cover much other than his being welcomed back into the Great Company and the incidents leading to his elevation to Wolf Lord. I'd like to see it rounded off, but I think it's important that it is completed in a way that doesn't feel like it's been cobbled together from ideas scribbled onto post-it notes and stuck in a blender.

imperial_scholar
29-02-2008, 14:37
Thanks for putting in proper spoilers... I still want to read it..
Can someone provide a rating out of 10 please?

keatsmeister
29-02-2008, 15:40

Overall, I'd probably go with a 7 out of 10. Sure it has issues, but it is entertaining enough, has at least some aspects of originality and although the inclusion of a certain group does reek of being gimmicky, at least you could argue that their inclusion did at least bear some relevance, where the inclusion of the Fallen Angels thread in Sons of Fenris was just OTT.

Wolf Scout Ewan
29-02-2008, 17:08
My favourite character of all time is Ragnar and Lightner has done him a great service so far. I was sick of him being shelved before.

I have enjoyed every single book so far. Thanks for the spoilers and everything but I will hold off judgement till I have finished it myself.

BPK
29-02-2008, 17:16

i'd give it a 6-7 out of 10.

Chaplain Dionitas
29-02-2008, 17:56
From what you guys are rating, it sounds a hell of alot better than Sons of Fenris. I'll be picking this up of course.

Captain Stern
01-03-2008, 01:38
Fan fiction.

Lastie
01-03-2008, 12:33
Fan fiction.

But isn't that all BL stories anyway? :evilgrin:

reds8n
01-03-2008, 14:05
From what you guys are rating, it sounds a hell of alot better than Sons of Fenris. I'll be picking this up of course.

It is much better.

Won't say too much, but it actuallt follows up on a couple of ideas from "sons of ".

Damien 1427
01-03-2008, 14:24
Fan fiction.

Given that the author is no doubt a fan (They'd need to be), and it's fiction, yes, that's true... But it's still canon, officially published and licensed Games Workshop fiction.

Eulenspiegel
01-03-2008, 14:59
The banter and stories the 13th company were telling (...)
I am not going to read the book, because I did not read the previous ones (save for Wolfblade, and I did not like it), but I am very interested in what you´re hinting at. Would someone please be kind enough to elaborate?

reds8n
01-03-2008, 15:11
Sure

At one point in the story Ragnar and Co. encounter some of the 13th company who have been in the EoT for 10,000 years performing their mission. They exchange a few stories with Ragnar and the others. Of course to Reagan and friends Leman Russ is a figure of myth and mystery, whilst the guys in the 13thC knew him as a man. Whilst they obviously loved and respected him, they also knew he could be a bit of a pain in the ass at times. The Spear that Ragnar lost (part of the plot of this and the previous book) is a venerated object to the 41st century wolves as a blessed weapon of Russ. It's revealed however that Russ hated the bloody thing and only really brought it out for ceremonial occasions as it was a gift from the Emperor. He frequently used to lose the thing and one time he got storming drunk on.. Stormwine I think it was... and tried to throw it at the moon. Took them 4 days to find it. Another story they relate is how one time Russ and Horus almost came to blows and had to be separated by the Emperor himself. In his rage Russ punched the Emperor in the mouth ! At which point the Emperor hit him back and laid him out for a whole month. The quietest and most peaceful month the Wolves had apparently.

imperial_scholar
01-03-2008, 15:36
It is much better.

Won't say too much, but it actuallt follows up on a couple of ideas from "sons of ".

I gave Sons Of a 3.5/5 (7/10) on a review on Amazon.com.
I'm sure I'll give it an 8/10 as I was a little hard on the book in my review... but I'm still not compelled to recommend it to other SW readers.

reds8n
01-03-2008, 15:48
I agree there, "Sons" just lacked in too many areas. I was glad to see the series carry on though, and if this is the last book then at least it's a good one.

Lt.Bradford
01-03-2008, 17:57
Sure

At one point in the story Ragnar and Co. encounter some of the 13th company who have been in the EoT for 10,000 years performing their mission. They exchange a few stories with Ragnar and the others. Of course to Reagan and friends Leman Russ is a figure of myth and mystery, whilst the guys in the 13thC knew him as a man. Whilst they obviously loved and respected him, they also knew he could be a bit of a pain in the ass at times. The Spear that Ragnar lost (part of the plot of this and the previous book) is a venerated object to the 41st century wolves as a blessed weapon of Russ. It's revealed however that Russ hated the bloody thing and only really brought it out for ceremonial occasions as it was a gift from the Emperor. He frequently used to lose the thing and one time he got storming drunk on.. Stormwine I think it was... and tried to throw it at the moon. Took them 4 days to find it. Another story they relate is how one time Russ and Horus almost came to blows and had to be separated by the Emperor himself. In his rage Russ punched the Emperor in the mouth ! At which point the Emperor hit him back and laid him out for a whole month. The quietest and most peaceful month the Wolves had apparently.

Thats Hilarious.

Eulenspiegel
01-03-2008, 19:22
I agree, it is :D
Thanks you for that, reds8n!

Wolf Scout Ewan
01-03-2008, 19:29
Thats Hilarious.

Now... that is what I'm talking about! The wolves are not some namby pamby vanilla chapter.

Russ and his lads have more spirit than the rest of the chapters put together!

Nazguire
02-03-2008, 05:19
Sure

Not sure how to approach it. Some seems cool in a humourous way....others seem...silly. And I am a big fan of the Wolves

imperial_scholar
16-04-2008, 15:54
Hey.. 115 more pages to go :D.
I'm enjoying this book so far.. but I find the author(s) are falling into the same mistakes they did with Wolf Blade. There seems to be a lot of substance that doesn't advance the stories... and I tend to find that any new character that is introduced generally gets killed off.

I miss bill king :(

Luthor's Shadow
16-04-2008, 16:32
I purchased the book on a whim. Sure Sons of Fenris made me cringe a little, but I thought, what the hell, I love Ragnar, always did think the Wolves were one of the best chapters and got the book.

From the spoilers, I am thinking I may enjoy the book overall. Was kind of hoping we got to the conclusion of Ragnar going: I am now the Wolf Lord. I'm hoping we get to read that book before or around the release of the Space Wolf codex.

Wolf Scout Ewan
16-04-2008, 17:02
Best one so far.

Though it was kinda sad at the end.

Gabriella thinking RB had betrayed her, or at least RB thinking she felt that way. She finally saw what is really like to run with wolves.

Its an interesting parallel with the beast that all men must contain when it comes to hormones.

I cant wait to see the final stand of Berek!

nedsta
16-04-2008, 18:40
recently there was a pic on black library website of Ragnar by Adrian Smith, http://www.blacklibrary.co.uk/news.asp?id=497&page=1&disp=25

Dont know anything about it so i'm not gonna start guesstimating about a new book as there is nothing in the news section or coming soon,anyways,

I sort of enjoyed Wolf's Honour,not the best of the lot but readable anyway

Iuris
17-04-2008, 07:49
That quote about Russ had me blinking in disbelief that GW would admit it (it HAD to be so, if you read a bit between the lines), and quickly became one of my favourite quotes in 40k ever.

Russ was a barbarian at heart, uncultured. Never mind picking out the right one out of 5 forks for the salad, he was a heavy drinker (remember the tests he offered the Emperor?). He was also extremely boasful, "full of himself", quite obnoxious. Lacked self control, too.

In other words: like all primarchs, the perfect body with a basic human mind...

Amornar
20-04-2008, 18:31
recently there was a pic on black library website of Ragnar by Adrian Smith, http://www.blacklibrary.co.uk/news.asp?id=497&page=1&disp=25

Dont know anything about it so i'm not gonna start guesstimating about a new book as there is nothing in the news section or coming soon,anyways,

Well I don't know about the rest of you but that new piece of art looks pretty good, all except one minor detail.....what the hell is wrong with Ragnar's face????:confused::confused: He looks wayyyyyy too wulfen, his teeth, eyes and whole face in general looks just wrong......

Armour looks cool though.

Cheers,

Amornar

Seved
20-04-2008, 20:42
Well I don't know about the rest of you but that new piece of art looks pretty good, all except one minor detail.....what the hell is wrong with Ragnar's face????:confused::confused: He looks wayyyyyy too wulfen, his teeth, eyes and whole face in general looks just wrong......

Armour looks cool though.

Cheers,

Amornar

Yes, his face is very strange. He just don't look like a wulfen, but it is some bird of prey in there too.

Nazguire
21-04-2008, 01:29
Emphasises the feral nature of the Space Wolves quite well I think, always a struggle between inner beast and man. I quite like it.

Drakon
21-04-2008, 07:31
dam i loved the ragnar series it was my first BL series to read and im hoping that there will be more.

Why so much hate for sons of fenris i thought i was phat especially the way they kick the DA's a*s*.

I would give this one a 8/10 just cause the end seemed a little crammed to me. Meaning that you read the story and then in the last couple of paragraphs there and then this this and this happened the end :wtf:

NashTrickster
21-04-2008, 09:25
Well, it seems I'm the only one so far who feels he's been lied to when he first picked the book: Why the Changer of Ways on the cover when there's none in the book?

And also a part which made me seriously frown: Magnus ruining the hundred-years-in-the-making plan simply because Ragnar threatens to throw the spear at him again? That same spear had failed to kill him once already and the eventual additional wound he'd have taken would have assured his ultimate revenge on the Wolves! Is Magnus such a stupid coward?

Oh, and for those who are saying "OMG! It was the last book yet it doesn't go all the way to Ragnar becoming Wolf Lord!": this book is simply the conclusion to the Wolfblade era of Ragnar's life, just like Grey Hunter was the conclusion to Ragnar's time as a Blood Claw... Expect a third trilogy depicting his time as Wolf Guard.

Amornar
21-04-2008, 14:19
And also a part which made me seriously frown: Magnus ruining the hundred-years-in-the-making plan simply because Ragnar threatens to throw the spear at him again? That same spear had failed to kill him once already and the eventual additional wound he'd have taken would have assured his ultimate revenge on the Wolves! Is Magnus such a stupid coward?

I think that Magnus only had two options in that case, one take the hit from the spear again, get hurt, need to recuperate and loose concentration and therefore control over the spell, or just leave without getting hurt and loose control over the spell anyway. In which case each option results in ruining the ritual except he doesn't get speared in the eye in one case

NashTrickster
21-04-2008, 15:06
I think that Magnus only had two options in that case, one take the hit from the spear again, get hurt, need to recuperate and loose concentration and therefore control over the spell, or just leave without getting hurt and loose control over the spell anyway. In which case each option results in ruining the ritual except he doesn't get speared in the eye in one caseWell, that's one way to see it, and I'm pretty sure it's how the author thought it off (that and the implied "irony" of the whole moment) but nevertheless I can't help but think that the situation was very different from Magnus' POV this time...
First, Magnus is one of the most powerful psyckers ever, second only to the Emperor prior to his ascencion to daemonhood (which would have certainly increased his powers)...
Also, the events of the end of Wolf's Honour are taking place on a world within the Eye of Terror where Magnus' power are obviously at their best.
And finally, this time he was "forewarned" that Ragnar was about to throw the Spear at him again...
The question would thus be: would "diverting" a bit of his power from the spell to deflect the Spear be beyond his abilities and/or have stopped the spell?I don't think so...

Nazguire
21-04-2008, 15:59
Well, that's one way to see it, and I'm pretty sure it's how the author thought it off (that and the implied "irony" of the whole moment) but nevertheless I can't help but think that the situation was very different from Magnus' POV this time...
First, Magnus is one of the most powerful psyckers ever, second only to the Emperor prior to his ascencion to daemonhood (which would have certainly increased his powers)...
Also, the events of the end of Wolf's Honour are taking place on a world within the Eye of Terror where Magnus' power are obviously at their best.
And finally, this time he was "forewarned" that Ragnar was about to throw the Spear at him again...
The question would thus be: would "diverting" a bit of his power from the spell to deflect the Spear be beyond his abilities and/or have stopped the spell?I don't think so...

Perhaps it was simply fear. Regardless whether he could of fried Ragnar or not, obviously remembering the pain that the Spear of Russ (You know, the personal weapon of his most hated enemy and rival, Leman Russ) was enough to deter him. Whether Magnus is a daemon primarch or not, I'm sure deep down somewhere he still feels fear or apprehension or something similar.

imperial_scholar
22-04-2008, 13:46
I think this book is a 6.5 out of 10. Not worth a 7 but still worth a read. All of Lee Lightner's books are rushed at the end. At least in my opinion. This book was even more rushed.. and I always feel like there is way more content in the book that needs to be. Given it makes it more interesting... but I don't think it ends up being a useful plot device. Either way...

Lastly,
I think the spoilers you all are mentioning (about the ending and certain demon primarch) was just a rush job on the author's part.

Johnator
23-04-2008, 15:29
I really enjoyed the book and would give it an 8. Lot of solid action and good pacing. A lot better than Sons of Fenris for sure.

Amornar
23-04-2008, 19:32

Or perhaps..
a spear given to Russ by the Emperor and infused with "Space Wolf Energy" would be beyond Magnus's sphere of influence and therefore he would be unable to effect it no matter how hard he tried, or simply because the spell was so large and powerful that any lapse in "diverting" power to defend himself would ruin the carefully planned spell.