PDA

View Full Version : How many veteran sergeants for fluff army?

northoceanbeach
01-03-2008, 06:32
I was just thinking while I determine what to put where for my fluff salamanders army, what numbers would there be.

I mean, say I have 6 squads, fluffwise, how many would have a veteran sergeant. Thanks.

NashTrickster
01-03-2008, 06:56
Well, there would be at least 10 Veteran Sarges in any codex chapter, those of the first company. As far as the other companies are concerned, it would depend on the company and on the chapter.

Veteran status is fluff-wise an honourific title, while rule-wise it simply represents an individual with good leadership skills and some better equipment.

There is actually no definite answer to your question. At some time a company may have all its sarges bearing veteran status and at others (after heavy losses for example) only one or two...

Moreover, since you're going with Sallies, which don't really follow the Codex, it's even more open to interpretation ;)

northoceanbeach
01-03-2008, 07:43
Ok, I wasn't sure if it had been written somewhere how that worked, or if I just upgraded as I saw fit. This is my first attempt at an army based on fluff over effectiveness/randomness, so I'm not wanting to give all my squads sergeants with thunder hammers, and just get crazy with the theme if it's not right, or too over the top.

CELS
01-03-2008, 08:03
This thread name is the best I've seen in ages. In fact, it's quite sig worthy. And as Nash Trickster says, you can have as many veteran sergeants as you want for your fluff army.

trigger
01-03-2008, 09:43
All marine squad sargents would be veterans , look at the codex DA and BA!

Supremearchmarshal
01-03-2008, 13:44
The 3rd edition SM codex says that the Ultramarines have 33 Veteran Sergeants. But, as said, there's no fixed number. Use anything you feel fits with the fluff.

battle captain corpus
01-03-2008, 23:10
Fluff wise the Salamanders have a vast history of being professional forgers,and have access to a wider variety of ornate armour and weapons. As such I would see no problem with you fielding every Sgt as a veteran.
I myself have a vet sgt in every squad. And I dont even play Sallies! :)

Leftenant Gashrog
02-03-2008, 00:06
All marine squad sargents would be veterans , look at the codex DA and BA!

Rules and fluff are two separate things.