PDA

View Full Version : Eldar hands

FarseerMatt
01-03-2008, 14:17
I just finished reading Hammer of Daemons and was interested to note that Ben Counter described Eldar as having many-jointed fingers, something I'd never heard about before. Can anyone well-versed in Xenology or obscure fluff confirm or deny this bit of Eldar biology?

Eulenspiegel
01-03-2008, 15:02
Look at your own fingers, they are many-jointed, too, arenīt they? ;)

In Xenology the Eldarīs hands/fingers are not mentioned as being special. On the picture they donīt look extraordinary and despite being slender and long, the fingers donīt look special at all.

Same with the Eldar models. They seem to have the regular (human) number of joints.

Vesica
01-03-2008, 15:41
thier is nothing human about those foul xenos, they are alien to the extreme and should be purged.

Anyway if they have longer fingers they may have more joints in them than say a human hand.

malika
01-03-2008, 16:15
So far there is no proof whatsoever of having more joints in their fingers than humans.

CELS
01-03-2008, 16:32
Of course, it makes little sense to point out the hands being many-jointed if they simply have two joints like human fingers. I mean, by a similar token you could say that humans are many-legged, but if aliens are described as having many legs, I would assume that we're talking about more than two.

On the other hand, it is obligatory to point out that Ben Counter is not widely worshipped for his presentation of Eldar.

Imperialis_Dominatus
02-03-2008, 07:49
Few authors are, however.

NashTrickster
02-03-2008, 09:52
BL books are canon, wether we like it or not.

It could however simply be Alaric's interpretation of something he saw or was told... Eldar may have more joints in their fingers than humans, and/or be able to turn their joints both ways. Or it could simply be that Eldar manual hability/speed is so much beyond a human's that those who have witnessed it have misinterpreted what they have seen...

elvinltl
02-03-2008, 13:18
Maybe he meant graceful finger motions as if their fingers had many joints?

chris.seraphim
02-03-2008, 13:50
thier is nothing human about those foul xenos, they are alien to the extreme and should be purged.

Anyway if they have longer fingers they may have more joints in them than say a human hand.

Or they may have the same number or less!

For exanmple, the Giraffe has a helluva long neck, but has the same number of neck bones as a human.

The human pattern for hands has evolved as it is the best for tool making and manual dexterity (gotta love them thumbs!) and it is perfectly logical that completely alien species (Tau, Eldar, Orks, whatever) would evolve similar or identical patterns.

Promethius
02-03-2008, 15:44
I have to admit that my reading of the same passage was that the eldar in question had more joints in his fingers than a human; it's also the first time I've come across such a reference in 15 odd years of reading GW publications. Having said that, I quite like the idea. It's about time the eldar had a few more alien features to them.

Essia
03-03-2008, 02:29
was interested to note that Ben Counter described Eldar as having many-jointed fingers

All the more joints in the fingers to break my dear......:evilgrin:

Imperialis_Dominatus
03-03-2008, 08:27
All the more joints in the fingers to break my dear......:evilgrin:

That... is a fine, fine post. I wish I had come up with it. Kudos to you, you decent, Emperor-loving, alien hating paragon of Humanity!

Alessander
03-03-2008, 21:45
I'd say it's a dexterity reference. You ever see a skilled street magician glide a coin across his fingers? You'd swear there were extra joints in there too...

Annoying @ Best
04-03-2008, 03:06
Its also entirely possible that he was referencing a feature that is commonly referred to as being 'double jointed.' I’m not a medical expert, so I’ll just be lazy and link one.

http://intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/9273/35323/403921.html?d=dmtHMSContent

If you read the article, much of what is talked about sounds like something that the Elder should be capable of doing.

Of course, I haven’t bothered reading the book, so I could just be talking out of my **** here. But it does seem to make some sense.