PDA

View Full Version : Lost Odyssey

The Laughing Man!
02-03-2008, 11:03
Anybody got this yet? Opinions?

I don't normally go in for this kind of game but Lost Odyssey looks like it could win me over but then again it might not.

So come on people give me someone to blame if I buy it and don't like it:p

MadJackMcJack
02-03-2008, 18:44
It's pretty good, but unashamedly old school. If you liked FF7, you'll like this, but it won't make a convert out of someone who dislikes Japanese RPGs.

That said, it's *******' gorgeous, and the storyline doesn't so much tug at the heartstrings as lash them to a truck and slam down on the pedal. Plus the main character is only slightly girly. Huzzah!

The Laughing Man!
02-03-2008, 22:45
It's pretty good, but unashamedly old school. If you liked FF7, you'll like this, but it won't make a convert out of someone who dislikes Japanese RPGs.

That said, it's *******' gorgeous, and the storyline doesn't so much tug at the heartstrings as lash them to a truck and slam down on the pedal. Plus the main character is only slightly girly. Huzzah!

Yeah I decided to take advantage of Games return policy and buy it, keep it for a week and return it for Army Of Two if it turns out I don't like it.

FF7 is the exception to my dislike of JRPGs and I've never cried over anything in a computer game (only once from a movie. I was far too young to accept Optimus Prime dying but I'm over it now.) But the bit about Kaim's daughter and those god damn flowers, Jesus Christ I was so close. Then I snapped out of it, pulled my self together, punched a bear, reasserted my manhood, etc, etc.

It's pretty good so far and it is indeed very pretty but its so slow in terms of pacing, I've been playing it for about 2 hours and very little has happened although what little HAS happened has been epic, Huge battle with some seriously pissed looking armoured beast men types (although that whole scene at the beginning did just seem to be the war of the silly hats.), then a giant magic tank with a hammer, oh and the comet ... THAT FALLS ON YOUR FACE.

Plot wise its already won me over its just the game play or rather the lack of it so far that I'm still on the bench about so it has until Friday to win me over.

Gaz
02-03-2008, 22:45
well im glad it sounds to be worth it, 'cause its what the missus is getting me for my birthday lol :D

The Laughing Man!
02-03-2008, 23:02
Also 4 discs:wtf:

Dirty Fingers
03-03-2008, 01:58
well, i haven't played this myself, but was talking to a buddy of mine tonight who has it.

He was saying that he really wasn't a fan and has thus far just found the game to be incredibly slow and boring. this isn't fps sorta guy either, in fact he barely plays fps at all and seems to play everything BUT fps. hell, he didn't even find blue dragon that bad. This one though, he said he was well into the second disc and was just bored by the strict, old-school turn based combat, the overwhelming number of cutscenes and what he called "too much reading."

Gaz
03-03-2008, 12:03
Also 4 discs:wtf:

That's shocking for a 360 game....does anyone have any idea what the average game play time is for this?

Tonberry
03-03-2008, 12:10
I picked it up on Saturday, and, as a fan of Jap-RPG's, am in love. The combat is nice and old school turnbased, none of this ATB or wanna-be action game rubbish. One improvement over most Jap-RPG's is the fact that the main character has actually passed puberty, a possible first?
I'm not in much of a position to comment on the overall story, as I'm only on disk 2, but some of the scenes were quite emotional, and I think the dreams are quite well done, with the sound effects and the images in the background.
My one hope is that is has some decent, uber-hard optional bosses, which doesn't seem a likely prospect as of yet, but I can only hope.
I also look forward to new downloadable content, Oblivion style.

Gaz
04-03-2008, 14:38
I picked it up on Saturday, and, as a fan of Jap-RPG's, am in love. The combat is nice and old school turnbased, none of this ATB or wanna-be action game rubbish. One improvement over most Jap-RPG's is the fact that the main character has actually passed puberty, a possible first?
I'm not in much of a position to comment on the overall story, as I'm only on disk 2, but some of the scenes were quite emotional, and I think the dreams are quite well done, with the sound effects and the images in the background.
My one hope is that is has some decent, uber-hard optional bosses, which doesn't seem a likely prospect as of yet, but I can only hope.
I also look forward to new downloadable content, Oblivion style.

yay for a non pansy character :D

How much play did you get out of disk one?

The Laughing Man!
04-03-2008, 17:26
yay for a non pansy character :D

How much play did you get out of disc one?

I literally just finished disc one in just over 11 hours. No idea if thatís fast, slow, or just plain average though.

It did start to pick up a lot at the end of the first disc so hopefully there will be more in the others.

sanctusmortis
04-03-2008, 18:59
40 hours is the norm. 60 if you want to find everything.