PDA

View Full Version : Need a good Tyranid fleet name...

omera
02-03-2008, 11:07
I was thinking on using Hive Fleet Cyclops but it doesn't seem to fit well. I also noticed the wiki states that there were hive fleets named Tiamet and Ouroboros, which don't sound like large mythological beasts. I believe only the major Tyranid fleets are worthy of big sounding names.

brother alinski
02-03-2008, 11:16
try Hive Fleet Diegon

omera
02-03-2008, 11:20
What does Diegon mean?

NashTrickster
02-03-2008, 11:40
Well, the names of the Gorgons (Stheno, Euryales and Medusa) could do the trick... Also, from Norse/viking myths, Jormungand (the Midgard Serpent), Nidhogg (a giant worm), or Fafnir (a dragon) would work IMO...

And BTW, Tiamat is the name of a mesopotamian dragon-goddess and Ouroboros is the name of the serpent/dragon which eats its own tail...

omera
02-03-2008, 12:00
I'll go with Euryales.

chris.seraphim
02-03-2008, 13:37
Think basically any evil old monster, from whichever olf earth legend appeals to you.
The official ones so far have been Behemoth, Kraken and Leviathan, which all mean great big nasty sea monsters (evil from the deeps, which appeals to the Tyranids sens of this ancient, enormous menace from the intergalactic depths) so I'd recommend these mythic sea beasties, although the conventional wisdom seems to be you can name a Hive Fleet after any given mythic monster (but somehow Hive Fleet Sasquatch doesn't sound right....Lictor and the Hendersons....!?)

Charbydis (Greek sentient whirlpool)
Coinchenn, from whose bone the Gae Bulg is made in Celtic mythology
Curruid, the sea monster who killed the Coinchenn
Jörmungandr, the Norse Midgard Serpent.
Proteus
Scylla, of Homer

or if your feeling humourous, then Hive Fleet Nessie would be really cool, although they'd never be able to prove it was there.....

and yes, I got that list of names from wiki, but if you dig deeper you might find some even more useful and esoter4ic sea monster names.

omera
02-03-2008, 13:46
Curruid sounds better mefinks...

Shibboleth
02-03-2008, 13:49
I was going to make a 'Hive Fleet Shibboleth', but never got round to it, so it's free if you want.
It was a password the ancient Israelites used, because foreigners couldn't pronounce it properly. I thought it sounded in keeping with names like Leviathan and Behemoth but would also fit in with the secrecy of a genestealer cult...

omera
02-03-2008, 14:11
A genestealer cult is a group of people who worship the nids right?

Moral Wiz
02-03-2008, 14:14
But are infected with them somewhat. (I'm not a nid expert, and know no more, but they are infected somehow; and end up producing Geensteelers)

omera
02-03-2008, 14:17
I'm guessing the cultists burst open and Tyranid babies come out?

Moral Wiz
02-03-2008, 14:22
Nah This is from Lexicarnum

The Genestealer is a species of Tyranid. They are considered to be among the most deadly creatures in the galaxy, combining high cunning, lightning-fast reactions and movement, with large, extremely sharp claws that can rip through the toughest armour in seconds.

Most insidious is their ability to implant their alien genetic material into other creatures, turning them into virtual slaves which will then breed hybrid-Genestealers, giving rise to the Genestealer Cults that grow in secret within human and other societies.

They are also a major part of a Hive Fleet's forces, often the first creatures committed to planetary invasions.

Genestealers form the first wave of a Tyranid invasion, either infiltrating a suitable world hundreds of years before the actual invasion, or in the much more short term, where they are deployed onto a planet by spores by the hive fleet. In both cases they pave the way for the invasion by weakening the planet's defenses.

There you go.

omera
02-03-2008, 14:26
Nah This is from Lexicarnum

There you go.

Thanks for that :P

Moral Wiz
02-03-2008, 14:28
No worries. Always happy to help.

Now, where did I leave my flamer? ;p

omera
02-03-2008, 14:31
No worries. Always happy to help.

Now, where did I leave my flamer? ;p

Oh, it's behind those Hormagaunts...
That are behind that Carnifex.

Moral Wiz
02-03-2008, 14:37
Ah.

Good job I got those tech priests to install that remote fire thing. ;)

At the risk of being terminnally off topic, is it just me, or did the two "easten fringe" Hivefleets seem to be targeting the Tau? Any reason for that?

Vesica
02-03-2008, 14:49
Because tau are blue? or maybe they are scared of a real fight =p

omera
02-03-2008, 14:51
My best guess is from what I know about the Tau. The Nids probably knew about the Tau's efforts to try and unite the races (they are trying to do that correct?) so they tried to stop them.

Moral Wiz
02-03-2008, 14:55
But on the galactic scale, the Tau are a minor threat. They haven't got the FTL tech to do real damage to the Imperium, or any other power. They can only expand slowly. What got the Nid's worried enough to launch two major attacks there?

omera
02-03-2008, 15:04
Maybe they chose to pick weak targets first so they can produce more bugs from the planets biomass to become more powerful for the bigger threats.

Moral Wiz
02-03-2008, 15:15
That makes sence. Only problem?

IIRC, the first fleet got destroyed on that eldar world, right? Then it was the fleet that hit Maccrage (Can't remember correct spelling. SMUrf central). That is the probable first major contact with the IoM.

Then, after a long pause, we have Hive fleet Laviathan. Which hits the Imperium, from no where near the Tau Empire. They IDd the IoM, and went after them.

But why, before were they.....

Well, logically....

The first fleets were an advance party, coming along the main route. The third fleet was split off from the main body, and sent on a different route.

Which means, if the main bulk of the Hive Fleet does arrive; it'll end up on the Tau's doorstep. They'll slow it down enough for an IoM counterforce, or possibly the Tau will stop it themselves. Either way, when the Nids show up, the Blueskins be first in the line of fire. ;D

Moral Wiz
02-03-2008, 15:23
Bah. That's wrong. Got my dates scrambeled. But this is even odder.

Attack on Mccrage was first. Then, Behemouth and Laviathen, at more or less the same time. (5 years different, nothing on this scale)

Now, how much Nid's know about the IoM is not clear. But Behemouth and Laviathen might have been intended as a two pronged attack; one to get those annoying SMUrfs out of the way, the other to hit the Tau.

Possible?

omera
02-03-2008, 15:24
No clue :confused:

chris.seraphim
02-03-2008, 15:28
Shibboleth sounds cool, very Lovecraftian, which is another big 'Nid influenced methinks.

I'd say that the Nids wern't targeting the Tau, it's just that when the Nids were introduced (3rd Ed?) they placed their plane of attack at the opposite side of the galaxy from the EoT to give the imperium two distinct theaters of war.

Then, over a few years GW seemed to decide that anything NEW needed to be mostly in the Eastern Fringe (which makes sense) 'cause thats the area most sparsely populated by the Imperium, most dodgy for astronomican based navigation and most of the existing backstory was set in the galactic north west/centre/west (EoT/Squat Homeworlds/Core/Terra respectively) so the Eastern Fringe was pretty clear.

So the Tau empire was inserted into the Eastern Fringe, in the previously unrearked upon are of the Peredus Rift (although it is intimated in Fulgrim, that this area is made up of Eldar Maiden WEorlds, so whether the Tau will have some issues with the Eldar in time to come, or are indeed an Eldar creation remains to be seen.)

Moreover, the campaigns to establish the Tyranids (Behemoth and Jraken) occured before the Tau had even been considered as a full race, and I believe that both campaign happened in the fluff chronooloigy BEFORE the Tau's expansion truly began, because let us remember it is VERY recent in galactic terms - and I really really HATE backwards retconning to accomodate new races.

SO I think the Tau and Tyranids have been set on a completely accidental collision course, which is all the more interesting for their complete oppositeness in doctrine and battle tactics.

omera
02-03-2008, 15:33
Another question...
Isn't a magnetic field required for an object in the universe to have a north, south, east, west etc?

Moral Wiz
02-03-2008, 15:45
Well, McCrage might be a bit out (It's M41,750 I think, just before the start of the Tau's ascent). But the other 2 are very recent (995, and 997, or there abouts) The Tau are in their current shape by then.

And it's not just the fact that they are in the same area of space, it's that, judging by their course, both fleets were actually en route to the tau empire.

http://www.joachim-adomeit.de/wh40k/spacemap/map.html

Top right hand corner.

(BTW, I'm aware that it might just be a design choice by GW, but that lining up on the starmap... just looks a little bit too coincidental IMO.)

Moral Wiz
02-03-2008, 15:45
@omera; yes, but we need directions. I don't know how they're measured.

brother alinski
02-03-2008, 19:43
could be they are trying to wipe out the kroot so the kroot dont absorbe there DNA

Moral Wiz
02-03-2008, 20:05
Could be. I don't know.

Clown_Elf
02-03-2008, 20:14
Ziz is the name of the demon of the Air in the bible
this completed the three beings including Leviathan (water) and Behemoth (land)

Clown_Elf
02-03-2008, 20:23
Also

Tarasque
Broxa
Dybbuk
Mazikeen
Re’em
Bahamut
Ayia Napa

chris.seraphim
03-03-2008, 08:42
Also
Ayia Napa

BWahahahahahahahahaha! :evilgrin: I laughed. Out loud.

Also, all proud that one of my suggestions has gotten used - gotta love that celtic mythology.

Apart from that, it does seem that the Tau (by mistake I'm sure) do seem to be in the 'Nids main line of fire (should they continue to advance along the line suggested by Behemoth and Kraken), but if GW would rather have the next big 'Nid fleet face someone else they could always have them attack from anywhere along the galactic rim - the north east and south west have been pretty untouched by major fluff developments to date...

And yeah, the designation 'galact' north, west or whatever is pretty subjective, it's just that GW have almost always shown galactic maps with Terra underneath and to the left of the galactic core, and the EOT above and to the left. The spiral arm to the right of ther map was eventually designated the Eastern fringe, and so this makes Terra in the galactic southwest (although still quite central) and the EoT is the galactic northwest.

It has no scientific basis, and is totally subjective (in the HH books, they talk about direction as 'spinward' using the direction of the galactic rioattion as a navigational tool) but for those of us without PhDs in astral navigation and stellatr cartiography, nailing it down on a 2D map (which GW only just started to take advantage of the 3D nature of the universe with Leviathan's 'under the galactic plane' advances) with a N, S E , W axis makes it so much easier for us to understand, write about and have silly campaigny fun with.

IMHO it's just another part of the hobby where a little applied science, but not too much makes it fun and involving, rather than an exercise in futility.

Johnnyfrej
03-03-2008, 09:22
How about Hive Fleet Cthulu...
Nothing says Loveraftian, all-devouring unstoppable, incomprehesible, ancient monsterous beast like Cthulu.
Only problem I can see from that name is probably not very original, most likely 500plus other Hive Fleet Cthulu's.

Edit: Idea! Hive Fleet Godzilla! You can paint all your models green with blue spines on their back and models with acid spit can have blue fire shooting out of their mouths!

-Private Jon

omera
03-03-2008, 11:24
BAH! I have chosen my hive fleet name as Curruid. Now it's time to deal with Moral's fluff problem.
But I still have no clue.

Lisiecki
03-03-2008, 19:48
BWahahahahahahahahaha! :evilgrin: I laughed. Out loud.

Also, all proud that one of my suggestions has gotten used - gotta love that celtic mythology.

Was it?

2/3 of the fleets named so far are named after mythical sea monsters, makes sence to keep that idea going

Grey Seer Skretch
04-03-2008, 12:07
Anything HP Lovecraft inspired is fun, ie Daggon, Shoggoth, Shub-Nigurrath. Alterantively, I've always had a fondness for 'Hive Fleet Dave'... :D

Lisiecki
05-03-2008, 00:05
Anything HP Lovecraft inspired is fun, ie Daggon, Shoggoth, Shub-Nigurrath. Alterantively, I've always had a fondness for 'Hive Fleet Dave'... :D

He makes a good point, larger list is here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Old_One) there all good "in human" names, and really do fit the theam of slow moving glactaic evil

EVILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Grindgodgrind
05-03-2008, 00:20
Nyartholotep? (More Lovecraft)
Cerberus? (3 Headed Guardian Dog Of Hell)
Djinn? (Islamic Demons....)
Cu Sith (Demons ala Celt)

imperial_scholar
05-03-2008, 14:51
Hive Fleet 'Yo mamma! yea I went there'. Epic? I think so :D

Meathook
05-03-2008, 15:33
Hive Fleet Ogopogo named after the myth of the Okanagan tribes of a great beast in a lake. And it kinda sounds funny. I though it was bad, but Hive Fleet Sasquatch totally beats that.

Progena
05-03-2008, 19:18
I like "Hive Fleet Cthulhu". He's a mythological sea monster after all. It's prolly been done to death already, but it offers neat modelling opertunities.

Was thinking of doing a Tyranid Splinter Force consisting of a Patriarch pluss some Genestealers and Lictors, all with feeder tendrils.

:p

EDIT: Hive Fleet Nessie?

!Bob
29-10-2009, 15:43
Paint them yellow.

Call it Hivefleet Banana :D

Thread Necromancy as my first post...........going well.

Aliarzathanil
29-10-2009, 20:40
I've always assumed that the Tyranids are simply targetting the Tau because they're delicious. Things with hoofs usually are.

spacewolf_sven
18-11-2009, 00:11
try Hive Fleet Diegon

this made me think of dagon some old god thing.
if you like disc world there's bel'shamharoth or just find a litin dictionary and find a word that means something significant that you also like the sound of

Tanith4Ever
18-11-2009, 19:55
I'd suggest something classical (i.g. Scorpagius)

Tyruin son of Ages
18-11-2009, 20:26
Harbringer

Enough said.
Tyruin out.

puppetmaster24
18-11-2009, 20:29
hive fleet sothoth or hive fleet cthulu.

ChaosBeast
18-11-2009, 21:17
what about hive fleet Typhon, who was a half snake man from greek mythology. he had 100 heads and was designed to destroy the gods, he even ripped out zeus's hamstrings. now thats epic.

Obyri
19-11-2009, 14:06
what about hive fleet Typhon, who was a half snake man from greek mythology. he had 100 heads and was designed to destroy the gods, he even ripped out zeus's hamstrings. now thats epic.

That also ties in nicely with the GW ethic of thinking of a cool name and using it............... and re-using it................. and re-using it..................... and re-using it................................................ .................

BlackLegion
19-11-2009, 15:20
Hive Fleet Hekatonkheiros
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hecatonchires

Hrw-Amen
19-11-2009, 16:31
What name do the 'nids have for the fleets, do they even have a language for them to have names? Is it just some hive mind feeling of a name that has no actual sound and is more of a sensation That is the name you really want to give it, but how to go about finding it out?

kylsnik ironhead
19-11-2009, 18:24
I called my Hive fleet Gorm the Wolf in Norse Mythology who is sopposed to eat the sun During Ragnorok

Temmy
19-11-2009, 22:44
Hive Fleet Magog
Hive Fleet Carcharoth
Hive Fleet Marduk
Hive Fleet Abzu
Hive Fleet Moloch

Putty
20-11-2009, 00:19
I was thinking on using Hive Fleet Cyclops but it doesn't seem to fit well. I also noticed the wiki states that there were hive fleets named Tiamet and Ouroboros, which don't sound like large mythological beasts. I believe only the major Tyranid fleets are worthy of big sounding names.

Hive Fleet Toe Jam
Hive Fleet Syphilis
Hive Fleet Pododermatitis
Hive Fleet Necrophorum

He Who Thirsts
20-11-2009, 00:26
When you decide, please post it. I might use it in my story of one of the lost legions.

Zothos
26-11-2009, 16:44
Hive Fleet "Bob" for the win!!