PDA

View Full Version : The Fellowship

takenoko
05-10-2005, 12:36
Ok, thanks to them new Khand miniatures, I now have to start playing this game once and for all. Actually, I made that decision several years back, before the release of the first film (anyone remembers Sawyer's editorial, where he admired the new Fellowship models, and claimed that everyone should get them? I believed him and bought them :rolleyes: )

Now, while awaiting the release of these pretty little dark guys from the East, I intended to paint up my original fellowship. And buy the rules. But I have a simple question first: Is it still possible to play with the Fellowship as an army on its own? Or do you have to be scenario based to use them all together?

Answers would be nice, so I know if I'm wasting my time by not simply getting a Dol Amroth army instead...

Garoth
05-10-2005, 13:46
Well it possible to put together just about any kind of army in the LOTR rules, even armies that only contain heroes. So using the Fellowship in a standard Points Match game is possible. Only problem is that the Fellowship without any extra wargear is 740 pts (in the new rules), and normally the limit of 500 pts is recommended (and therefore often used) in the Points Match games.

But if you get your opponent to agree on 750 pts game, you could play with the Fellowship. But I'm pretty sure that the Fellowship can be easily wiped out with a 750 pts army that is well put together, as armies of heroes are out numbered so badly.

There is one way of squeezing the Fellowship into a 500 pts army by doing a bit of "scaling down" for the heroes. Use the models of the Fellowship, but use rules of cheaper heroes to represent this. This way you won't be able use actual rules Aragorn etc., but your army goes under the standard points limit, so it could be used even in a tournament. Here is how I would put it together:

Original --> Use rules of this character

Frodo --> Sam
Sam --> Hobbit Militia
Merry --> Hobbit Militia
Pippin --> Hobbit Militia
Gandalf --> Gandalf (there is no good cheaper alternative here)
Aragorn --> Faramir with bow
Boromir --> Eomer with shield
Legolas --> Elven Captain with bow
Gimli --> Dwarf Captain with two handed axe

That is a 499 points army (in the new rules). Heroes are not as mighty as they originally were, but rules can still represent the characters of the Fellowship more or less. But I still think that even this version of the Fellowship would lose to a normal 500pts army. I might bring this army to a tournament one day just to see badly they get beaten...

Of course this requires that your opponent remembers "who is who", but with only nine models there, it should not be too hard.

Baggers
05-10-2005, 15:55
Its fun for the odd one of games or the paticular scenario, but its better to play with an actual army as it lot more fun and exciting

Odin
05-10-2005, 16:01
Its fun for the odd one of games or the paticular scenario, but its better to play with an actual army as it lot more fun and exciting

Hmmm, I've only recently started with LotR, but it's the scenarios like Balin's Tomb which attracted me. If I end up just playing 500 point pitched battles I'll just give up (that's why I'm bored with WHFB - 2000 point pitched battles every ******* time).

takenoko
06-10-2005, 07:47
I understand that a regular army offers a lot more in ordinary battles than the Fellowship does, but right now it is a monetary matter. I can't afford an army right now, not with new WFB Dwarves and Easterlings soon to be released. I was mainly interested in getting to know the rules, getting aquanited with the system and so.

I guess I'll just get the basic rules and try finding an evil player to play the scenario based battles with. There must be someone out there, even though this is not the most commonly played GW game.

Thanks for the advice, though!

Baggers
06-10-2005, 12:43
To add to my earlier point

I have found to be using a force made of characters really boring, unless it is in the context of the scenarios as Aragorn, Legolas, Gimili and Boromir are all very overpowered when combinend with each other.

Pertinax
06-10-2005, 15:37
I recently played against three nazgul on fell beasts. Effectively, it didn't give a good game because the opponent had the speed to carch me where ever I was, and to Heroic move all his guys into combats, effectively removing the priority.

Give me an army of figures any day.

takenoko
07-10-2005, 09:44
I do find it odd that there are no limitations on characters in LOTR. Or is there in tournaments?

rkunisch
07-10-2005, 10:35
I do find it odd that there are no limitations on characters in LOTR. Or is there in tournaments?

The only one I know of is: no double characters. I also found Tom Bombadil is not allowed most of the time. All others are fine.

Have fun,

Rolf.

Baggers
07-10-2005, 12:10
there are limits.

No more than 50% of the force can be characters

Tom, and Goldberry, are outright banned and Gollum as well I think

Odin
07-10-2005, 12:41
there are limits.

No more than 50% of the force can be characters

Tom, and Goldberry, are outright banned and Gollum as well I think