PDA

View Full Version : Halo Wars discussion

Aun'aart'al
02-03-2008, 16:54
so what are peoples views on the upcoming Xbox 360 game Halo Wars? personally I would have preferred it on the PC, myself, as it would make everything easier, and quite possibly more enjoyable, but that's just me, and there could be countless people who feel the totally opposite way

what sort of campaign missions or even storyline do you think will be in it? will the entire game take place on Harvest, or will it go to a couple planets?

what do you think?

The Laughing Man!
02-03-2008, 17:00
Doesn't this belong in the computer games sub-forum?

Any way I'm quite looking forward to it, although I to would have prefered it on the PC. I love my consoles but but RTS games don't.

Aun'aart'al
02-03-2008, 17:18

it isn't on the computer, it's just on a gaming console. I was hoping that it would be on the PC, though

Any way I'm quite looking forward to it, although I to would have prefered it on the PC. I love my consoles but but RTS games don't.

exactly, even though they've said that they created the game from the ground up, specifically for the Xbox 360, I still don't think it will make it easy to do all of the moves you could do with a mouse

The pestilent 1
02-03-2008, 17:38
Which is why it's called Computer And Consoles.

Don't care enough for Halo to be bothered about this pretty sub standard looking RTS, especially one on a Console.

Dengar
02-03-2008, 17:52
Its looks ok seeing as its halo most people out there will think that it should only come out on the 360 as for what its about well i think its about the fall of Reach i could be wrong there though.

Wraith
02-03-2008, 17:58
I'm uncertain, is there something special about this RTS other than it's based in the Halo universe? It seems to keep coming up every so often in discussions I read online...

The pestilent 1
02-03-2008, 18:18
I'm uncertain, is there something special about this RTS other than it's based in the Halo universe? It seems to keep coming up every so often in discussions I read online...

As far as I can tell, the only special thing is that it's Halo!!1!1!1!!
So yeah. I'd play C&C for mindless RTS and get Kane in the process.

Wintermute
02-03-2008, 18:18

It is in the Computer Games forum.

We changed the name and description of the forum yesterday :p

Wintermute
The WarSeer Inquisition

Forbiddenknowledge
03-03-2008, 08:42
I'm going to get it, as it looks quite fun, but I wish it was on PC. Consoles just don't do RTS's well enough.

Still looks nice though, although CnC Red Alert 3 and Kanes Wrath excite me more.

Kahadras
03-03-2008, 10:49
I wasn't impressed by Halo Wars TBH. I watched a promotional video a while back in which the developers were talking about the game. Graphicaly it looked nice but the game really didn't seem to bring anything new to the table.

The developers would say stuff like...

'In normal RTS games you have to build a base and the same is true for Halo Wars'

'In most RTS games you get access to more powerful weapons later on and this is the case for Halo Wars as well'

By the end of the demo when they were talking about the orbital lazer needing charge up time I just felt like the game could have been called Command and Conquer: Halo Wars. I kept expecting them to say 'this is how it's done in other RTS's so we're doing it different'. Lots of people had said the same thing in the comments section, looks nice but that's about it. It'll sell well because it's Halo but I feel that it's a bit of a lazy effort. They don't seem to have tried to make it stand out from any other RTS game out there.

Things may have changed by the time they release the game but I'm not too optimistic.

Kahadras

Killgore
03-03-2008, 12:51
im looking forward to seeing how well the game is to control due to Halowars being designed totaly with the xbox controler in mind

i wonder what new covenant and human military resources will be reveiled in the game

Aun'aart'al
03-03-2008, 13:45
personally I was hoping got a more space battle oriented game for the Halo universe..

Stella Cadente
03-03-2008, 16:25
I dunno why some people feel console RTS games are bad, they work very well *points to command and conquer* the controls are so easy my 6yr old niece can do it

TheBigBadWolf
03-03-2008, 19:39
I dunno why some people feel console RTS games are bad, they work very well *points to command and conquer* the controls are so easy my 6yr old niece can do it

My feelings excatly, consoles are built to play games and games alone. Im looking forward to halo wars, might wait for someone else to buy it then have a shot

Strikerkc
03-03-2008, 22:42
My main big complaint at the moment is that the combat seems a little bipolar in the video that's out. The warthogs look awesome when they're screaming along a desert trail, jumping rifts in the map, and doing donuts, but when they get to combat they just sort of throw on the parking brake to sit there and slug it out with whatever is there. I would like to have seen more evidence of them instiling some of the cinimatic nature of Halo into the game.

If a pack of 3 warthogs runs into an enemy tank and a few eliets and a dozen grunts, I want to see the warthogs keep going, I want to see them go screaming through grunts running them down and gunning at the rest. I want to see them try to dodge the slow mortar style fire from the enemy tank. As it is they just sort of lock in spot and try to slug it out. :(

Aun'aart'al
03-03-2008, 23:27
As it is they just sort of lock in spot and try to slug it out. :(

a hint as to why humanity was losing the war? ;)

Ronin_eX
05-03-2008, 08:51
Though I'm not a huge fan of RTSs I will likely be picking it up for the story itself as I love the Halo universe. If it turns out to be fairly standard I wont have any idea as the only two recent RTS games I've played are DoW and Supreme Commander. I don't do C&C so if Halo Wars ends up a clone I wont likely knock it for being one. :p

Adept
05-03-2008, 11:35
I'm a big fan of the Halo universe, so I will be picking this game up. I'm very happy that it is on console, as my PC went out of date about five years ago and it would probably cost me upwards of $2,000 to play this game if it was on PC.

Redstormrisen
06-03-2008, 23:07
What some people don't seem t ounderstand is that this is

1. Fan Service. The fans want more depth into the already awsome halo universe.

2. To be a tech demo. This is the forst time that an RTS game has been built from the ground up on a console. MS wants to see if it will work.

And the fact is, I will buy it along with
Kanes Wrath
Red Alert 3
Endwar
World in Conflict (mabye)
Supreme Commander (mabye)

Master Stark
02-03-2009, 02:08
Well, as the game was recently released and I picked it up today, I figured a bit of a bump was in order.

I've only played through the first four missions so far, but I'm really enjoying it! The cinematics are fantastic, and the controls are easy and intuitive. You can certainly tell they were designed specifically for the xbox controller.

I have to admit though, even if the game was totally poo I still would have bought it for the extra depth to the Halo universe, which I am totally in love with.

So, has anyone else bought it yet? And if so, what do you reckon?

pwrgmrguard
02-03-2009, 02:18
I loved Endwar and will as such likely pick this up. The demo was pretty good.

I am more interested in the extra maps for halo 3 though. I see this as a mappack with a game attached.

Ravening Wh0re
02-03-2009, 02:46
personally I was hoping got a more space battle oriented game for the Halo universe..

Then it'd be very one-sided. The Covenant ships far outclass the Human ships, with Humanity losing a handful of ships for every Covenant one.
At the point in time of Halo Wars, there are very few Human ships left.
Human forces fare better on the ground.

On topic: I wasn't overly impressed by the campaign. Didn't get me excited at all.
I quite like the multiplayer though

Darkstar2586
02-03-2009, 13:43
Huge fan of the halo story line, and would be tempted to buy this if it wasn't for the actual demo.

It seemed too linear for my liking and there was little strategy, one of the most important bits of an RTS, else its just real time...sob

Think im going to buy it when the price comes down for the back story but not alot else.

P.S i really hope the game hasnt destroyed the time line, the only feasible explanation as to why we didn't know about the flood before halo will be if this force gets annihilated.

Grazzy
02-03-2009, 16:29
My mate has the limited edition version (so he can get the halo 3 mythic maps too as he is a bit of a halo 3 fanatic like me) and says it is great. I probably won't get it as i dont particularly like RTS's anyway and there are better one out there IMO.

redbaron998
02-03-2009, 18:29
The cinimatics and such were great, but the gameply and graphics were just terrible, its like the game was made for the PS1, ill pass. DOW 2 just blows it away.

Ravening Wh0re
02-03-2009, 21:01
P.S i really hope the game hasnt destroyed the time line, the only feasible explanation as to why we didn't know about the flood before halo will be if this force gets annihilated.

The Spirit of Fire had damaged engines so have to limp back to Earth territory. It may take years so most of the crew have been put into cryosleep.

Also in the timeline, it says that the official line from Navcom is that it was lost with all hands; but suspiciously the reason is classified

Rabid Bunny 666
04-03-2009, 11:31
Its fun, the campaign is a bit too short (On normal, it took me 6 hours)

The cutscenes are fantastic! Skirmish is fun, i've been working on tactics. I try to go as the Prophet of Regret. If you build a Temple first, then the rest of your base is blessed warehouses and one shield generator, you can easily fund both research and his special attack. By 3 bases, the only units i had was the starting Ghost and the Prophet :D

kaimarion
04-03-2009, 22:23
I will have to agree with what others have already posted the controls are great, the cinematics are great and the games is very fun to play.The graphics are a bit meh but I don't really expect good graphics from an RTS so I'am not bother by this but my one gripe with the game is that it takes far too long to get a match online.

Has anyone else noticed how nasty fully airborne armies are?

Dexter099
04-03-2009, 22:32
Halo is strongly influenced by the Warhammer universe.

kaimarion
05-03-2009, 00:36

Can you please tell us how you came to that conclusion?
Sorry if it sounds like I'am having a go at you.

souljaking09
05-03-2009, 00:38
i love strategy and i love halo. what more is there to say.

Rabid Bunny 666
05-03-2009, 16:01
@kaimarion: I waited for a match for a good 20 minutes and just game up and went to Skirmish to be honest.

Lame Duck
05-03-2009, 16:06
Meh, it's just an introductory RTS game for FPS players, if it wasn't for the setting most people wouldn't give it a second glance.

Might get it once it goes on offer though.

Aun'aart'al
06-03-2009, 09:27

what about the threat being declared classified? with the UNSC facing annilitation, would having everyone find out that there's something worse trying to kill them make things any easier? perhaps ONI stepped in and thought that Humanity needed to be united to survive, and learning about the Flood might make everyone go nuts (understandably so)

The Spirit of Fire had damaged engines so have to limp back to Earth territory. It may take years so most of the crew have been put into cryosleep.

actually, they detonated their FTL drive to stop the Covenant from using a fleet of Forerunner Dreadnoughts against Humanity, so they blew up the Shield World and made its artificial star go nova, incinerating it

Also in the timeline, it says that the official line from Navcom is that it was lost with all hands; but suspiciously the reason is classified

this sounds suspiciously like ONI's work

LOL omg they're awesome! just a few hours ago I was in a 2v2, my teammate and I were practically freaking out because no one was making a move, just building and stockpiling, preparing defenses with this unit and that unit, and I opted to go with a full air force, as opposed to using ground units. I made this decision because I noticed they had Captain Cutter (MAC Cannon) and the Prophet of Regret (Cleansing Flame), and figured that air units wouldn't be damaged by those attacks as much as ground units, plus I could bypass all the terrain, making movement quicker. So I maxed out my pop cap by another +10 with the "reinforcements" research, and just made 6 Vultures with their missile barrage upgraded, and took out 3 of their bases, plus a good 3/4 of their ground forces before my last unit fell.

Now I'd just like to mention that my teammate and I were both Cutter, so we both had 4 shots for our MAC Cannons ready, plus ODST pods. When my last ship went down, he MAC'ed what was left and what he could, then I did the same, and by the end of it, I only had to rebuild those 6 Vultures 1 more time, and we kicked their asses hahahahaha aaaww man though it was good fun

honestly, I cannot say anything without it sounding like Im trolling or flaming.. I just cant.. screw it, wtf is wrong with you?

@kaimarion: I waited for a match for a good 20 minutes and just game up and went to Skirmish to be honest.

actually when a friend and I went in for a 2v2 game, after each game we probably only waited no more than.. 1-2 minutes, usually if that? I suppose, though, that it may depend where you're connected from, the time of day, etc., but we started in the evening, about.. 6pm on our end?

TheBigBadWolf
06-03-2009, 10:00
In the Daily Record (Scottish Tabloid) today, it has a Halo Wars review stating its on PS3 :D

Raven Down
06-03-2009, 10:40

I'm 11th on the 3v3 Leaderboards becase of it, Hawk Spamming can Only be Defeatd by two other Units Which also must be spammed to beat them.

I actually think the game was alright over all

Master Stark
07-03-2009, 02:11
what about the threat being declared classified? with the UNSC facing annilitation, would having everyone find out that there's something worse trying to kill them make things any easier? perhaps ONI stepped in and thought that Humanity needed to be united to survive, and learning about the Flood might make everyone go nuts (understandably so)

I just figured that with their FTL drives gone, they'd just have to go into cryo sleep and travel and sublight speed, which could mean it is many years before they are recovered by other UNSC forces.

Perhaps it's just the case that by the time they get back to UNSC controlled space, the war is already done and dusted.

pwrgmrguard
07-03-2009, 03:42
Detonated...FTL Drive...Artificial Supernova...

I doubt they survived, but i am not a master of the Halo backstory, just good at the fps.

ask Anodai, he's a member here and obsessed with Halo, he'll know for sure.

Master Stark
07-03-2009, 03:50
Detonated...FTL Drive...Artificial Supernova...

I doubt they survived, but i am not a master of the Halo backstory, just good at the fps.

ask Anodai, he's a member here and obsessed with Halo, he'll know for sure.

Nah, they definately survived, you can see them putting themselves into cryo sleep in the final cut scene. It just doesn't specify if they still have FTL capabilities or if they get picked up before the events outlined in the first Halo game occur.

pwrgmrguard
07-03-2009, 03:56
See, i never played through the orignal Halo because my PC was always crap and couldn't handle it, and i didn't have an original Xbox. I know the story from 2 and 3 pretty well though.

thanks for the education.

Rabid Bunny 666
07-03-2009, 12:19
Does anyone know whats the best thing to kill Covenant Leaders with? I find that against a Legendary opponent, an Arbiter/Brute Chieftan is in my base within 3 minutes and they're chuffing hard to kill.

Yodhrin
07-03-2009, 21:07
Does anyone know whats the best thing to kill Covenant Leaders with? I find that against a Legendary opponent, an Arbiter/Brute Chieftan is in my base within 3 minutes and they're chuffing hard to kill.

The answer to this issue, as with all others is: Spartans :p

In all seriousness, swamp him with Flamer marines. Yes, your Marine squads will eventually be seriously nasty, especially with the ODST upgrade, but in the early game Flamers backed up by a couple of squads of regualrs for the Grenade attack will serve you better.

If he has vehicles as well, you're humped, because if you thought vehicles killed regular infantry fast, you're in for a suprise the first time flamers head up against them.

As far as the game itself; normal difficulty is far too easy for anyone who's played RTS games before. Immediately jack it up to Heroic or Legendary. The controls are excellent, as is the simplified base building mechanic; I found I spent almost all of my time where I like it best, in the thick of combat micro'ing my forces to best effect.

Unit selection is easy, but to be honest, is rarely needed beyond the "All Units" and "Local Units" commands, everything else you need can be achieved with the right trigger. With some planning and quick reflexes, you can control your forces to a level I've never seen on any RTS that didn't use a keyboard, and tbh, this felt more fluid.

The unit selection is varied enough to be interesting without having too many units to disrupt the fluid feel of the game and interface. There are plenty of upgrades and ways in which to customise your army, I've played fifteen skirmish games now and there was no similiarity between them at all, and that was all playing as UNSC.

The story is well put together, the cutscenes are excellent and the characters, if a little stereotypical, are well voiced(with the exception of Serina; just spend the extra money to hire someone with an english accent if that's what you want, instead of getting an american to half-ass it).

Well worth your 40.

Ravening Wh0re
08-03-2009, 01:31
are well voiced(with the exception of Serina; just spend the extra money to hire someone with an english accent if that's what you want, instead of getting an american to half-ass it).

Agreed :)

And yes, the answer to early leader rushes is Flamer units. Gets tough when they bring a chopper in tow though

Yodhrin
09-03-2009, 00:40
Agreed :)

And yes, the answer to early leader rushes is Flamer units. Gets tough when they bring a chopper in tow though

Hence the two units of regulars; grenade attacks make mince of choppers, you just have to micro the timing so they hit at the same time. Or wedge a railgun turret into your early basebuild strategy, they'll hammer either the leader or the chopper pretty easily.

Also, the Mythic map pack for Halo 3 is awesometacular, anyone fancies a game add me: sosolidshoe(please put "Warseer" or something in the invite so I know not to reject it out of hand).

Aun'aart'al
09-03-2009, 07:31
heh just finished a game with 5 other heroic AI, and I gotta say, controlling 14 vultures and a 4 round MAC cannon is just pure awesomeness :p:D lol same deal with 33 grizzly tanks

EDIT: oh, forgot to ask, is it too "overkill" to send 13 vultures protected by 13 sentinel shield drones into an enemy base, and fire off 4 MAC shells to take out any groups of units? [/saint]

Rabid Bunny 666
09-03-2009, 09:09
I'll give the flamers a shot, they were next to pointless in the campaign, even against the Flood.

Anodai
09-03-2009, 22:51
Halo Wars is amazing but I don't think I would have gotten it (not with a preorder at least) if it weren't for the mythic maps.

heh just finished a game with 5 other heroic AI, and I gotta say, controlling 14 vultures and a 4 round MAC cannon is just pure awesomeness :p:D lol same deal with 33 grizzly tanks

EDIT: oh, forgot to ask, is it too "overkill" to send 13 vultures protected by 13 sentinel shield drones into an enemy base, and fire off 4 MAC shells to take out any groups of units? [/saint]

How are you managing 33 Grizzlies? Last I checked, the UNSC had 40 max pop cap, not 99.

And Rabid Bunny, they've been announced to be in the game. No need to keep that secret.

Aun'aart'al
09-03-2009, 22:59
How are you managing 33 Grizzlies? Last I checked, the UNSC had 40 max pop cap, not 99.

play the map "Frozen Valley," I think its called that. It has a Forerunner healing structure in the middle, and it's a 3v3 map. If you get majority count of those bases on Deathmatch I think, you can reach 99 max pop

Ravening Wh0re
10-03-2009, 02:33

Deathmatch allows your popcap to increase by building additional bases. You can go up to 99.

SisterMordagg
10-03-2009, 05:06
Company of Heroes is better and cheaper.
Why... why get this?

It may be the most stereotypical RTS I have ever seen.

Pretty? CoH has got it

Cinematic Gameplay? Only all the damn time.

Awesome audio quotes that turn a game into a war when the screams of the dying mingle with the insults of the survivors? That'd be CoH.

I realize I probably know the answer- it's Halo.

If people don't try something new and exciting, we're left with, well, Halo RTSes.

Aun'aart'al
10-03-2009, 08:20
or you could just stfu and respect the fact that there are going to be groups of people out there, that appreciate things that you don't

you like CoH? fine, but don't bother to post how that game is better than Halo Wars in a thread that's based around the discussion of said game

Raven Down
10-03-2009, 10:22
And Perhaps the Simplist Reson its a Console RTS

SisterMordagg
10-03-2009, 16:36
The opening post:

so what are peoples views on the upcoming Xbox 360 game Halo Wars? personally I would have preferred it on the PC, myself, as it would make everything easier, and quite possibly more enjoyable, but that's just me, and there could be countless people who feel the totally opposite way

what sort of campaign missions or even storyline do you think will be in it? will the entire game take place on Harvest, or will it go to a couple planets?

what do you think?

I answered your question about what I thought about the game. My feeling the game is poor and completely unnecessary.
I wouldn't raid a thread asking how to you win Halo Wars or What Are Your Best Strats.
But if you want an opinion, you're going to get it.

And seriously, stfu? This is Warseer, not GameFAQs.

Anodai
10-03-2009, 20:14
The biggest reason I got it is because my friends were also getting it. And it would be nice to play the one good console RTS in existence.

And I wanted the mythic map pack.