PDA

View Full Version : Gobbo wolfriders, need tactical advice

FurryMiguell
03-03-2008, 06:38
I'm curently on my newestr project, an army of gobbo wolfriders (yes, I'm actually doing an army NOT consisting of NG or Orc's!). I think im going to have a lot of gobbo woflriders, and some gobbo chariots. thruth is, this is the first cavy army I've ever made, and I have no idea how I act with such an army(never had more than one unit of mounted in any of my armies). Yes, you guessed right. I'm in search of tactical advice! "really?", yes really!

Cheers:D

Da Black Gobbo
03-03-2008, 10:00
Well gobbo wolf rider armys can perform but you need some punchie units like chariots and maybe some boar boyz, i'd try to get some big units of gobbo riders with spears, shield and light armour 4+ save no fast calvary yes but you can take 2 units of 15 for your core, then take some little units with spears and bows for flanking and harass, 4 units of 5 with musician should do it, then a gob warboss a battle standar bearer and 2 lvl 2 shammys (assuming you are playing at 2k) mount your warboss in a chariot and get another 3 chariots as special units, get some pump wagons as rare and chaaaarge!!!

hope it helps you!

FurryMiguell
03-03-2008, 10:21
It does! I like your ideas! Though I always imagined how it would be playing an army of only fast cavy:p. well, that wouldnt work I guess

blurred
03-03-2008, 10:27
Sure an army full of fast cavalry can work, but winning can be tricky. You have to be careful with minimizing panic: fleeing units running through your army can very quickly incur a snowball effect and its not pretty. Also, you need something to take care of big nasties (a couple of spear chuckas should be enough) and something that packs punch (chariots obviously). I would also add a giant for flavour. Good luck. :)

Avian
03-03-2008, 10:37
I have not fielded an all wolf-powered army, but I have recently been fielding an all-mounted greenskin army and I was not overly impressed with that. The main problem with wolf riders and wolf chariots is the lack of good Leadership and with a gobbo general that is going to be problematic.

In any case, I have quite a few articles on my Orcs & Goblins Tactics page (http://folk.ntnu.no/~tarjeia/avian/subpage.php?s=index_greenskin_tactics) that might be useful to you, especially the part on running a mounted theme (http://folk.ntnu.no/~tarjeia/avian/tactics/greenskin_themes.php#mounted_0) and the articles on cavalry and chariots.

Good luck!

FurryMiguell
03-03-2008, 11:21
@blurred: I thought the same thing:p

@Avian: Thanks! will take a look at your O&G tactics page. Go Rosenborg;)

So, my problem seems to be the low Ld a gobbo horde has, and that an wolf-army would lack really powerful attacks (wolf-chariots not being the strongest of them). So, I'm thinking, would it be very wrong to add a small group of gobbos on foot guarding some punchy unit, or would that totally ruin my theme?

Cheers!

Da Black Gobbo
03-03-2008, 12:18
Well the lidership isn't that bad, the gobbo warboss is ld 8 if you get the Urgok's horn that gives +1 ld to all the army and -1 to the enemy army you get ld 9 also get a Battle standart and you can go to battle more or less shure that your gobbos will not flee that usually.

FurryMiguell
03-03-2008, 12:24
now THAT is a good tactic:D. thanks mate!

Hope to see some other advice comming up. and i checked your website Avian, I liked it. Though it's kind of a lot for me to read at the moment. I'll do a little at the time. And I agree, players in "a certain capital of norway" are no fun playing;). If you play 40k, come to Bergen for our WinterWars tournament every year. (next year, cause this year's tourney is already over)

Cheers!

Avian
03-03-2008, 12:28
Well the lidership isn't that bad, the gobbo warboss is ld 8 if you get the Urgok's horn that gives +1 ld to all the army and -1 to the enemy army you get ld 9 also get a Battle standart and you can go to battle more or less shure that your gobbos will not flee that usually.
The Horn is okay, but in this case the problem is that the gobbos will probably have to take Fear tests to charge half the units out there (any kind of elves, any kind of undead, ogres and deamons) and the Horn does nothing to help you with those tests to charge something, because it is activated later in the turn. :(

@ FurryMiguell: I will remember to check out the tournie and you might very well see me in Bergen next year. :)

Da Black Gobbo
03-03-2008, 12:51
well that's true Avian, but well last game i played with my orcs i failed the ld test in the right moment with ld 9 making me lose the battle. The Urgok's horn+gobbo warboss is not incredible but should work.

Maybe in 2 years when i start my Economic's business practics in Norway i'll go to some tourneys, they only thing i hope is to know a bit of Norway language...

FurryMiguell
03-03-2008, 15:13
hi=hei
no=nei
get lost=forsvinn

there you go! welcome to norway:p

I havent had a closer look at magic equipment for my army, though the first thing I will look after when I do, if stuff that makes my core a harder one (for gobbos that is;))

MountainMammoth
03-03-2008, 15:28
I don't have much experienc with O&G, but I do use WE fast cav a fair amount. In my experience you shouldn't rely on light fast cav to beat things in close combat and should be working more on avoiding combat and using your bows to do damage and sow discord. The only time you should be charging is when you have isolated one of the enemy's units and can hit it from three sides (have you ever seen one of those discovery channel specials showing wolves hunting, they break up the herd, isolating the target, then swarm the lone prey, similar idea using aggrivation instead of fear to motivate the mistake). Until then you should be fleeing from just about every charge and shooting. I know you still have the move and shoot penalty, but it is a wood elf maxim that if you take enough shots at anything it will eventually die no matter how weak those shots are, and a wolf rider army can get a lot of shots. Mind you if you added things like boar boys you would have some shock hammer units to play with, but weedy gobbos just cant come up with enough umph to out kill even moderate infantry with any level of consistancy (then again they're goblins so maybe consistancy shouldn't be the goal).

FurryMiguell
03-03-2008, 16:01
well, yeah, that tactic might be very good for WE (actually, it sounds very good), but gobbos have low Ld and are not close to WE in archery skill, so I dont think an all-out fast cavy is the way to go. it would be way too many units of wolfriders to command in a 2k pts army:p

Da Black Gobbo
03-03-2008, 18:26
well for magic items... Waloopa's one hit wounda is good str 10 in a round of combat is very nice, also Martog's best basha (your gob warboss gets WS6 str 6 and I5 wich is pretty nice) also staff of sneaky stealin' for one of your shammys, the other one can be a scroll caddie, let's see.

Goblin Warboss: Riding a chariot, with martog's best basha, Urogk's horn, light armour, shield.

Goblin Big Boss: Riding a wolf, battle standard bearer with Big red banner, light armour.

Goblin shamman: lvl 2, staff of sneaky stealin', riding a wolf.

Goblin shamman: lvl 2, Dispell scroll, Nibbla's itty ring, riding a wolf.

I think is a balanced set up with some good things for all the roles, punch, ld survivality, magic attack and defense.

Hope it helps you and thanks for the free lesson of Norway language.

FurryMiguell
03-03-2008, 18:30
It helps a lot, thanks! I actually find that character list very atractive! I'll take a look at the book myself, and see if there is anything I like, but this is good!

And your welcome;), norwegian is one of my stronger subjects (english isnt:p)

Avian
04-03-2008, 10:13
I would mostly agree with mr. Black Gobbo, but in my experience, one of the strong sides of greenskin cavalry armies is the ability to take slot-free chariots as mounts for characters. Thus I would probably mount most of my characters on these things and not on wolves (unless I knew I was facing dwarfs or empire, that is ;)).

mortetvie
05-03-2008, 00:34
Good luck with the list! Flanking is the best bet and I am sure you'll have a ton of fun. A cool strategy is to have your guys reform at an angle and flee from charge so you can have your other untis charge in the flank, works exceptionally well with fast cav armies.

I played against my friend's orcs and goblins and actually had more fun with HIS army than I did mine. Goblis are the most fun units in the game IMO.

Stuff is going to die, a lot of it is going to die and it will be your stuff =). J/k, good luck!

FurryMiguell
05-03-2008, 08:41
I hope I will:p. I think this is the most fun project I've ever done, so I'm really looking forward to get started