PDA

View Full Version : Van Hells changes

Spirit
03-03-2008, 10:17
Right, was reading my vamp book and noticed this small piece of very important info.

No unit can have van hells successfully cast for movement purposes more than once per magic phases. So basicly, you can only move a unit 8" in the magic phase.

Good thing? Bad thing?

blurred
03-03-2008, 10:29
Good thing? Bad thing?

Neither. Balanced. :)

Oberon
03-03-2008, 18:19
You still can cast it at the unit over and over again, until the opponent lets it through (power stones, sweet), and after they are in, use it one more time to get those re-rolls if really necessary. It is balanced in its effects, but its inclusion in necromancy spells is horrific when casting rolls work for you...

Leogun_91
04-03-2008, 07:44
I donīt think itīs a huge deal as most of my opponents still just uses it once per unit (and moast often at that small unit that sudenly stands at the rear of my quarrelers).

UltimateNagash
04-03-2008, 17:31
It's still nasty, especially because you can recast it. Nice as well that if you use it to charge something with it they can re-roll and get ASF :)

Goldenwolf
04-03-2008, 19:11
The ability to recast means that I can send a unit of Grave Guard 16", Black Knights 20+", and Blood Knights 20+" EACH turn if I am lucky or my opponent has only a few DD.

VC which used to have a lot of problems moving, can now zip around the battlefield if people are not careful.

As other people have pointed out, certain other lethal combos allow me to add other bonuses to that movement :) Ahhh it's nice to have an army that just got amped up :)

the12thronin
04-03-2008, 22:08
VC used to be alot faster than that. Vanhel's wasn't capped at one use per turn before and I had Black Knights with a Blood Dragon vamp across the board and in combat on turn 1. Made for a very short game as well which wasn't a fun game.

Guy Fawkes
05-03-2008, 00:48
I'd rather keep the recast then lose the "one movement per turn" rule. And Vanhel's Danse actually was capped at once a turn anyways last edition, so I think it is an improvement. It ain't giving us an extra move (which would mean 40" charge for flyers) but 8" armywide is more than gamebreaking as it is, depending on the units in question. In any case, getting a unit across the board in half as many turns adds mobility to a "shambling horde" army and allows VC to claim objectives at least.

the12thronin
05-03-2008, 15:22
Actually, it wasn't capped last edition. You could do it over and over again. Probably confusing it with the TK's incantation which is capped at once per turn.

Cromenon
05-03-2008, 15:39
Actually, it wasn't capped last edition. You could do it over and over again. Probably confusing it with the TK's incantation which is capped at once per turn.
It's magic. You cannot cast the same spell twice if it has succeded :wtf:

UltimateNagash
05-03-2008, 16:32
Sure you can. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to cast 2 Fireballs etc on the same unit.

the12thronin
05-03-2008, 17:10

When you have a level 3 vamp lord and 3 level 2 necros with someone carrying the Book of Arkham, it's very easy to do so. :)

Cromenon
05-03-2008, 17:40
My mistake, apologies to all.