PDA

View Full Version : Savage Orcs

Bingo the Fun Monkey
05-10-2005, 20:53
Well I've been terrorising many a battlefield with my orcs and gobbos for a while now...however, I've been avoiding using savage orcs because, well, that frenzy IS a bitch. One of my regular opponents is a skaven player and I've always had no trouble taking out his plague monks (2 wolf chariots + any sizeable cav unit will do). Then one day I neglected the old plaguers and got the snot kicked out of a unit of boyz. How many of you warbosses out there actually take savage orcs on a regular basis? I think that they'd be pretty cool, now...especially since the fluff in my army is placing my shaman lord from the southlands. Who takes them in just one unit in an otherwise vanilla army and how do you use them? My main opponents are skaven and bretonnians.

chivalrous
05-10-2005, 21:30
I have a gobbo horde with a single unit of Savage Orcs with a Big Boss, all armed with 2 hand weapons and the obligitary warpaint.

I've found them to be more than a little unpredictable against a smart opponent and sometimes they'll charge something I'd rather they didn't but I've found that they usually come off better.
Always have something nearby to help a unit that has run off. A small unit of Wolf riders are great for this, cheap and will knock the rank bonus off a road block unit.

Snoozer
05-10-2005, 22:18
Well I haven't really used them yet, I have 12 of them painted and another 13 still unpainted, but I think they are cool and when I have them ready I will use them quite regularly.

Mostly because my friends collect fear causing armies, but also because they have more attacks (and not a lot more expensive, pointwise). and if you keep them between your units they won't charge 'too' off course (but what do I know I haven't actually used them once, but that's the theory ;))

:D

mirakel_jocke
06-10-2005, 17:27
Well, I have never used them, but I am ATM building an Savage Orc and both types of gobbos tribe.

They look pretty good on the paper if you take two units of them so atleast one of them can be big 'uns.

/Mirakel_Jocke

Avian
06-10-2005, 17:35
I had a league army consisting of nothing but Savage Orcs and common Goblins once and it was decent fun. Frenzy makes them a bit unpredictable, but the charge range on the infantry is short enough that it's not normally a problem. And you can always help them out by using gobbos (wolf riders are especially good) to make sure you don't end up in totally the wrong place.

If/when they get around to releasing plastic savages I'll get some more.

mirakel_jocke
07-10-2005, 18:46
Yes, it was really to bad that they didn't release plastic Savage Orcs when they released the new models to the HE, Skaven and Lizardmen during the Lustria thing...

It'll cost me a fortune building an O & G army with only Savage Orcs as the tough units in the army!

/Mirakel_Jocke