PDA

View Full Version : If anyone's interested: Space combat game up for scrutiny

Frecus
05-10-2005, 21:19
I did an attempt at redesinging an old project of mine; A spacefleet-combat game. I think it is good enough to support 20+ mini's per side, which is quite a fleet compared to other systems.

Things I tried to aim for:
-A bit of 3d effect.
-Simpleness, so relatively large games can be played in relatively little time.
-A bit of a 'space' feel.

Please look at the rules. The fleet listings need a lot of work still as I don't have a clue on how to give these a pricetag, so these are merely useful as an idea how i imagine the statlists.

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

McMullet
06-10-2005, 12:05
Not bad. I like it, although I suspect you may be bitinbg off more than you can chew with the 3rd dimension. An aquaintance and I are also working on space combat game, although it's at the other end of the scale in terms of numbers; we're aiming for small scale skirmishes and a significant campaign structure.

I will have a more detailed read of this later (when I'm not at work!) and let you know what I think.

Frecus
06-10-2005, 13:33
Ah, I thought of that, too, with the 3d part. I tried the system just a few mins ago, in 2d, so my opponent wouldn't get too confused. I think that when you get used to the 2d version, 3d might be worth it for a bit of fun (btw, I think the 3d system is applicable to all fleet combat games).

I had to change some stuff during the playtest, so the original attachment has of now been updated.

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

x-esiv-4c
06-10-2005, 14:58
I'll have a more indepth look at it when I have the time. Looks good so far.

Pillx
07-10-2005, 11:04
I tried to implement 3D into Mekton waaaay back when. It was just a quick plug in of the hypotenuse since it was all hex based. I'll have a gander at the rules in a bit and post some feedback...

McMullet
07-10-2005, 15:50
I've read it properly now, I think my first impressions are pretty much unchanged. I like it a lot as a large scale gaming system, and you're certainly right in saying that you can support massed combat. 20 ships shouldn't be a problem at all. I'm still not sure about the height change thing though. It's very difficult to represent it in a 2d environment, and to be honest you've done a nice job of it - but it still feels a bit arbitrary. Still, if it doesn't work, you can just leave it out. It adds a bit of interest to the game, but the game still works fine without it.

Let us know how the playtesting goes!

FuriosoShadow
13-10-2005, 00:55
I think this would be quite an enjoyable game to play; it looks more well thought out than the games I've designed :P.

I like the height change thing; I think it works.

Frecus
13-10-2005, 09:50
Furiososhadow, I'd say raid your lego box and playtest it a bit.;)

Oh, and I didn't take years to learn how to design a game for nothing you know. All it takes is a little experience.

I need to try myself soon again, but there's the problem of time... Both mine, and possible opponents... There's only so much you can discover when fighting yourself. :(

Btw, I changed some stuff, and added a little piece of fluff for you all to enjoy.

Edit: More fluff and ships added.

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior