PDA

View Full Version : flagelants?

Gorthor21
04-03-2008, 04:08
i have 200 points left in my empire army, and i was looking at flagelants as a possible expediture of those points. the army has alot of state troops and a solid knight and pistolier base along with one cannon. would flagelants really be worth taking or are they just a fancy speedbump?

SJM
04-03-2008, 05:10
I tend to use Flagellants a fair bit. They are an awesome tarpit unit that never runs. First round they hit can be devastating especially if they sacrifice some of their guys. I'd definately take them.

Sir Spoon 88
04-03-2008, 06:22
Yeah flagellants rock the sox! Very good, dont really expect them to wipe out a unit solo, but by all means tehy can hold up any of your opponents units helping your knights get in a nice flank charge or sumfin.

The Farmer
04-03-2008, 07:37
They're no longer great as a tarpit because of the toughness nerf and because of frenzy which allows them to be pulled away.
They are however a great shock attack unit, on the charge they can dish out alot.
You should pair them up with an archer screen to block their sight if need be to prevent charges and to screen them, because they are surprisingly fragile for frothing maniacs.

kroq'gar
04-03-2008, 07:41
They are great, pair them with a unit of 5 vanilla knights. The opponent can either wait to be charged by the flaggalents (who on the charge can cream most units), or charge the flaggalents and in turn be flanked.

Leogun_91
04-03-2008, 08:41
They are great, pair them with a unit of 5 vanilla knights.
Excuse me Im new to empire and I want too know what "vanilla knights" is.

Flagelants looks great and I will probobly have alot of them in my army (my favorites are greatswords thou)

FurryMiguell
04-03-2008, 08:45
I would use some great sword instead if you can afford and have the slot for it. If not, I would go with an helblaster and a small unit of hand gunners, but if you like the mini's, then use them!

I also want to know what a vanilla knight is, and I'm not new to empire. I dont think it's a term used in norway

Cheers:D

Johnnyfrej
04-03-2008, 09:50
I also want to know what a vanilla knight is, and I'm not new to empire. I dont think it's a term used in norway
"Vanilla Knights" is a term used to descripe a unit of Knights (usually the min of 5) with no command purchases so no musicians, standards or preceptors.

To the OP I would I suggest using flagellants. Depending on weither you have a Warrior-Priest or 2 Rare choices left I would recommend getting 2 squads of 10 flagellants. Depending on your opponent I would use them to either stay back and tarpit and ambush unit he sends to take out your gunners/cannon or to use them to guard your state troops flank if you are just going to rush the enemy.

-Private Jon

Gorthor21
04-03-2008, 20:30
my army does include an AoMI wearing warrior priest, so flagellants wouldn't count toward the rare choices. so it could be assumed that if i would use them in conjuncture with say, five pistoliers, that ten flagellants could take the brunt of a charge and the pistoliers could wheel around into the enemy unit's flank and the combat would be successful?

thanks for all the replies :)

Dragon Prince of Caledor
05-03-2008, 01:26
Arrow magnet, lots of points, low toughness, low armour save... They are unbreakable and kinda insane... i would say go for it,...:)

Johnnyfrej
05-03-2008, 01:46
Flagellants are also really good at tieing up expensive units with high Str but low attacks, like Swordmasters or Gorgers.
Lets not forget their Matyr ability too. By sacrificing 2 Flagellants you can reroll both to hits and to wounds during the combat phase of either turn. By sacrificing another for a total of 3 you can increase your combat resolution by 1, giving you a chance of breaking the enemy unit.

GW did a whole webpage of Flagellant tactica, which you can find here http://uk.games-workshop.com/empire/flagellant-tactics/1/

-Private Jon

kroq'gar
05-03-2008, 10:22
any vanilla unit is straight from the list, no upgrades or any fancy stuff (so 5 non inner circle lancers).

Lucky24/7
05-03-2008, 10:39
I would a mean a 20 man unit or possible my fav of 18 3x6 can be great . I dont know that many units that can dish out 18 attacks that easily and if they can shoot them :D

But it dose form a very good and reliable tar pit in which ur oppent may become bogged down upon and allows them knights to go to town on the flank of the enamey.

FurryMiguell
05-03-2008, 10:43
If you like the minis, include them in your army. if you like them, its not a question (and if they fit your theme:p)

Tarian
05-03-2008, 16:07
Flagellants are also really good at tieing up expensive units with high Str but low attacks, like Swordmasters or Gorgers.
Lets not forget their Matyr ability too. By sacrificing 2 Flagellants you can reroll both to hits and to wounds during the combat phase of either turn. By sacrificing another for a total of 3 you can increase your combat resolution by 1, giving you a chance of breaking the enemy unit.

GW did a whole webpage of Flagellant tactica, which you can find here http://uk.games-workshop.com/empire/flagellant-tactics/1/

-Private Jon

If by Swordmasters you mean the High Elf Swordmasters, 2 attacks each isn't a low number of attacks. 11 WS6 S5 ASF hits could mess with the Flaggies quite a bit, though that means they aren't stomping on another unit. That's what I'd use flaggies for, stick 'em on something nasty and let them die heroically.

FurryMiguell
05-03-2008, 21:12
let them die heroicaly? thats not really my idea of flagelants:p

Just stick em up your oponents nose, and keep them there till you can stab hi in the belly;)

Johnnyfrej
05-03-2008, 21:24
If by Swordmasters you mean the High Elf Swordmasters, 2 attacks each isn't a low number of attacks. 11 WS6 S5 ASF hits could mess with the Flaggies quite a bit, though that means they aren't stomping on another unit. That's what I'd use flaggies for, stick 'em on something nasty and let them die heroically.
They get TWO attacks now?! :mad:

Anyway they are still useful. Better the swordmasters crunch the Flag's for a turn or two then hitting your weak Ldr units and start a panic.

Edit: I was thinking of White Lions at the time, who only get the one attack :rolleyes:

-Private Jon

Corrupt
05-03-2008, 21:39
Aye swordmasters
Two Ws 6 Str 5 ASF attacks
Love em:P

FurryMiguell
05-03-2008, 22:19
@corrupt: love em, hate em, depends on your side:p

Spirit
06-03-2008, 00:48
Flagelants are (r at least used to be) an undead NIGHTMARE, all you could do was gaze of nagash them.. Not so sure now though ,with thinkgs like blood knights and unber vamps, they might actually be killable.

My games against empire always ended with a unit of zombies in the rear of the flagellants, least then i didn't crumble too much...

Id say they are some of the most useful troops in the army, simply because they are unbreakable.