PDA

View Full Version : Harlequin Revenant

DeSnifter
04-03-2008, 04:01
So here is my question:

Is the idea of an eldar revenant titan being used by harlequins completely out of the picture? I understand that they typically use the webway and something of that size probably would not fit through. But I am tempted to get one from forgeworld for apocalypse and greenstuff it up to be more harlequinesque. i.e. doing a half face mask titan helmet among other things. Do you think this is a good idea, or would I be better of doing it up as one of the craft worlds. I've just never read any fluff to support the theory that harlequins use them. Although reading the BL novel where Honsou used to chaos warhounds as body guards to his inner sanctum got me thinking... perhaps there are similar harlequin titans/nasties protecting the black library.

Ideas? Comments?

CELS
04-03-2008, 04:39
Put it like this; I wouldn't be surprised to see Harlequins supported by some warmachines, but a Titan? I'm not sure. It's definitely possible though, and would probably look very cool, so I think you should go for it. Even if the Black Library only has a single scout Titan due to size restrictions, it could be this one :D

Kandarin
04-03-2008, 06:20
I think this hinges on the nature and depiction of the Harlequins.

If you want to see the Harlequins as a 'civilized', coherant organization, there's no reason why they would have one, outside of (as CELS mentions) defending home base or some other absolutely critical facility. They simply don't have the capacity to build, maintain, train, and equip a force of Titans on their own.

If you want to see the Harlequins as a force of 'nature', a group of beings representing the whims of a bizarre and alien god acting on its home turf, a lot more becomes possible. Think of the options available to Chaos, albeit on a smaller scale. The Harlequins are tied to the will of the Laughing God, who is tied to the very fabric of the Webway itself. If the Cegorach feels that its domain is threatened, who knows what it may send to assist in the defense?

Gorbad Ironclaw
04-03-2008, 12:49
So here is my question:

Is the idea of an eldar revenant titan being used by harlequins completely out of the picture?

IMO, yes.
Harlequins are small(or not so small) bands of individual that primarely travel between the remnants of Eldar civilization to tell there ancient tales. They are also very elite warriors and are completely dedicated to the fight against chaos, but they are not a standing army as such, they are still just groups of individuals and I just can't see them supporting something of that size. They would simply have no need of it. They would never be involved in a conflict alone where things of that scale would be needed. If it's going to be a harlequin only operation it is much more likely to be a covert infiltration and assasination mission than a huge battle. They might lend other eldar forces a hand in a direct battle, but they would not be the primary force.

It shouldn't stop you painting one up if you think it would be cool, but I really can't see any reason why there would be one.

Bregalad
04-03-2008, 13:34
Generally, the Harlequins biggest vehicle is the Venom, about the size of a Vyper. Not even a Falcon or Wave Serpent is supported by current official background.

So it is difficult to justify. But I agree, that making such a conversion would be nice, so go ahead and think of a background later.

malika
04-03-2008, 13:41
Maybe they have been given these vehicles, or they are remainders from pre-Fall times. They themselves wouldn't need to look after or repair the vehicles, they can simply visit a Craftworld, Exodite Maiden World or Dark Eldar city (apparently Commorragh isnt the only one) in the Webway to have their equipment repaired.

Felwether
04-03-2008, 14:29
Go for it!

I don't think anybody really knows enough about the Harlequins to say that they definitely do not have Revenants.

Plus it'd be cool.

Forbiddenknowledge
04-03-2008, 15:17
I think it would look amazing, painted as a harlequin one, but I'm not sure the background really supports it.

yaspro
04-03-2008, 15:27
It would look cool dude.

Bregalad
04-03-2008, 17:46
BTW here is an example of a Harlequin-like Titan, the Eldar model with the highest score on www.coolminiornot.com :
http://www.coolminiornot.com/index/whatm/GW/id/102238
Just as an example what we expect from you ;)

DeSnifter
04-03-2008, 17:59
I'll se what I can do... without going insane from painting all that detail :p

Maybe I will just do it because the rule of cool.

Imperialis_Dominatus
04-03-2008, 22:57
Maybe I will just do it because the rule of cool.

Best justification there is.

Grindgodgrind
05-03-2008, 00:09
Don't be worried about the tunnels of the webway being too small, remember that there are tunnels within the webway capable of holding Starships, so a Titan should be a breeze.

NashTrickster
05-03-2008, 08:34
Forget about Webway tunnels being too small... There's a far better fluff reason for which Harlequin Titans are not possible: Harlequins don't use Spirit Stones! (It is for this same reason that, while "cool", Harlequin Wraithlords are not fluffy either.)

Eldar Titans (Caurifelliann) require a special Spirit Stone (called Carrecenad) to function. The Carrecenad is a multi-faceted Spirit Stone containing the essence of past generations of Eldar Titan pilots (Caurifellianaidd) of the same Fir Caurifel (titanic clan). The Carrecenad is the Titan's equivalent of an Infinity Circuit and without the help of the spirits contained within it, a Caurifelliann cannot be piloted by its crew... (Just like the crew of an Imperial Titan wouldn't be able to pilot it without the help of the Machine Spirit.)

But the fact that Harlequins don't use Spirit Stones never stopped anyone from making Harlequin Dreadnoughts and should not stop you from making a Harlequin Titan :p After all: your model, your money, your decision ;)

Dragonlv8
05-03-2008, 09:56
I don't care if its not really possible for background, make one, and send me pictures.

CELS
05-03-2008, 10:03
That just means the Harlequin titans (aka Caurifewhatchamacallits) will have to be piloted in some other way by Harlequins. I'm sure the crafty Harlequins would find a way to pilot a Titan without spirit stones. After all, other races have, and they are mon'keigh ;)

NashTrickster
05-03-2008, 13:07
the Harlequin titans (aka Caurifewhatchamacallits)That'd be something along the lines of Rilliet-Caurifelliann or Caurifel-Rillietann :p

Yeah... I know, I spent more time immersed in (old) Eldar fluff lately than is good for me... ;)

DeSnifter
05-03-2008, 22:00
Here is an idea I'm proposing for the revenant. Nothing too over the top in terms of physical changes. Most of what would make it harlequinesque would be in the painting.

What do you think?

Bregalad
06-03-2008, 00:04
Here is an old Merlyn Harlequin head that was produced for the old Armorcast Eldar Phantom Titan:
http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Merlyn_Eldar_Harlequin_Phantom_Titan_Head.jp g
Titan: http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Armorcast_Revised_Eldar_Phantom_Titan_UP.jpg
Farseer Head:
http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Merlyn_Eldar_Phantom_Titan_Warlord_Head.jpg