PDA

View Full Version : Bully (any one got it)

Deamon-forge
04-03-2008, 20:48
ok people in out in the UK Friday
just wondering if any ones got it early and could tell me what its like, and do they recomend it.

Gaz
04-03-2008, 21:28
I played the PS2 version, and I will definatly be getting the 360 version.

Its essentially a very (moreso) tounge-in-cheek being-a-kid version of GTA...some very amusing moments in it too.,,'bout all I can say really other than if you liked GTA, get it :)

Deamon-forge
04-03-2008, 21:33
I am a big GTA fan, if its like GTA them im set, first thing friday down to the shop befor work!

Dirty Fingers
04-03-2008, 22:41
word of warning: don't judge this game by the opening sections. honestly, i really didn't like the game and put it aside for the longest time. the world was cut off, limited, and brutal (people constantly hassling you). that and i didn't find the story nor the very limited mission structure any good at all. same goes for the rigidness and the general annoyance of classes. this honestly put me off the game for quite a while.

thing is, the game gets MUCH better after the opening bits and becomes much of a "lots of things to do" free form sandbox that we've come to love in GTA. the game world also expands substantially and people quite hassling you. stick with it and grit your teeth through the opening bits, which are some of the most annoying this side of Resistance: Fall of Man.

Gaz
05-03-2008, 09:52
I agree with DF, give it time. Just wait until you can get out of the school, then it's a lot more fun :D

MadJackMcJack
08-03-2008, 12:48
I picked up Bully for the 360. It's got some major technical issues, lagging, freezing and locking up all together. Needless to say, I now want to kill someone. :mad:

And there was me trying to avoid the hassle of Xbox live. Now I have to use it to get a *********** patch (when it comes out). :rolleyes:

Deamon-forge
08-03-2008, 14:08
I picked up Bully for the 360. It's got some major technical issues, lagging, freezing and locking up all together. Needless to say, I now want to kill someone. :mad:

And there was me trying to avoid the hassle of Xbox live. Now I have to use it to get a *********** patch (when it comes out). :rolleyes:

yes i agree im not on live so i just cant think how i can get the patch....

Gaz
08-03-2008, 16:33
yes i agree im not on live so i just cant think how i can get the patch....

Well you only need a (free) silver account for downloads, so if you can drag your 360 to an ethernet cable for 5 minutes, it's just a pain in the **** as opposed to having to pay for it.

still, that is rather annoying that you need a patch for a new game _

Lardidar
08-03-2008, 16:41
Do patches auto download or is there a place on live you have to go to.

I have only just connected to live, still have a silver membership and can't seem to find a patch section.

Gaz
08-03-2008, 16:42
Do patches auto download or is there a place on live you have to go to.

I have only just connected to live, still have a silver membership and can't seem to find a patch section.

You'll need to choose to download it...does bully have an in game option for Xbox live? If so, try that. If not, you'll need to access one of the Xbox menus and choose the game Bully, and click Downloads. Not 100% sure where you'd need to go though sorry.

MadJackMcJack
08-03-2008, 17:09
Patch isn't out yet apparently. They're "working on it".

Dirty Fingers
08-03-2008, 18:39
Don't know if any of you guys watch On the Spot. If you don't, it's the weekly web show on gamespot.com where they demo upcoming games and such.

Anyway, they tried to play Bully Scholarship Edition for the 360 on the show this past thursday i believe, and the game actually crashed on THEM within 30 seconds of their playing it. They couldn't get it to run properly at all for the rest of the show. Sweet Jesus. Maybe someone who has played this can expand, but they were saying that the load times are also horrendous.

Honestly, this whole patching issue does somewhat disturb me. It really does show the console gaming industry standing on a slippery slope. I mean, it's great that they're releasing a patch so that all those who bought the game aren't going to get screwed, BUT this really does open the door to developers rushing out games, bugs and all, just so that they can get it on shelves ASAP, and then patching said bugs later. It's a dangerous precedent here.

Also, what I always wondered about this game is why exactly Rockstar didn't do the port/remake themselves. Rockstar Vancouver isn't up to all THAT much these days. Hell, I'm sure they could've found someone. At the very least, if they had to outsource it, why did they choose a developer that has pretty much exclusively developed for the PC, and RTS games at that? Kinda baffling.

That being said, on my previous comments on rushing games out before they're done and worrying about fixing the issues later via patching...conspiracy theory..but i wonder if Rockstar was doing just that with this game, and that this was intentional. I mean, GTA 4 is out in just a bit over a month. If they fixed these issues before getting the game out, it'd've been slaughtered by their own major franchise and have sold poorly once again. I wonder if this was rushed just so it could beat GTA 4 to store shelves.

marv335
08-03-2008, 19:17
Well I'm glad I didn't pick this up on Friday. I'll wait for the patch to be available.

MadJackMcJack
08-03-2008, 19:39
Anyway, they tried to play Bully Scholarship Edition for the 360 on the show this past thursday i believe, and the game actually crashed on THEM within 30 seconds of their playing it. They couldn't get it to run properly at all for the rest of the show. Sweet Jesus. Maybe someone who has played this can expand, but they were saying that the load times are also horrendous.

I've not noticed any of the slowdown that's been mentioned, but the load times are somewhat long, to the point I'm almost screaming "COME ON!", although that might be just me trying to rush a mission before the game crashes.

But yea, this game was NOT ready for release. And I doubt that Rockstar are unfamiliar with how fast news travels on the net, given their experience with Jacky boy, while leads to the worrying conclusion that they screwed the pooch so hard that he's walking like John Wayne.

This pisses me off more then anything because one of the main reasons for buying a 360 was to get away from the ******** of patching. And they don't even have hardware clashes to blame :rolleyes:

Deamon-forge
08-03-2008, 20:21
So far iv played it none stop and only found one glitch (when u sit down in classrome u spine around) i havt crashed on meor slowed down

Lardidar
08-03-2008, 20:40
My question was about patching in general on the 360. I don't have Bully but did own it on the PS2 and can say it is a fun game.

I will pick it up but I will wait for some pre-owned copies to hit stores as people can't wait for a patch.

Dirty Fingers
09-03-2008, 03:50
I never thought I'd say this, but....

I'm considering saying "screw the 360 version." Does anyone know how the Wii version is fairing? Does it suffer from any of these performance issues? How are the graphics compared to the 360 version? how do the controls work and does it support the classic controller? I really wanted this game, but i've lost all faith in the 360 version. Even if the patch fixes the crashes, i doubt it'll fix everything and the load times will probably still be bad.

Dirty Fingers
09-03-2008, 03:58
Nevermind, I just answered my own question.

It looks like for anyone who has both a 360 and a Wii, and isn't achievement obsessed, this is the one time where the Wii version is the way to go. It uses Wiimote and nunchuk, but apparently works very well with the motion controls.
Looking at 1up.com (EGM, basically) they gave the 360 version a B- and the Wii version an A-, with the 360 version suffering primarily for the performance issues.

Anyway, direct quote:

"This port appears to be tailor-made for the Wii, transitioning smoothly to work with the Wii Remote/Nunchuk combo. All of the new classes and minigames play to the strengths that Wii control offers (pointing at items versus controlling cursors with the analog stick). Visually, the game compares favorably with its PS2 predecessor and suffers from none of the technical hiccups of the 360 version."

Looks like the Wii version is the way to go.

MadJackMcJack
21-03-2008, 23:13
UPDATE: Well, the patch came out, and NO CRASHES! YAY! So they got that right (Although there's still reports of the patch doing nothing for other people :eyebrows:)

Lardidar
21-03-2008, 23:47
Hmm,

Now it is so close to GTA4 that I'm not sure its worth picking up :)

I think ill leave it till later in the year and no doubt it will hit the 2 for 40 in Gamestation and I can then grab that and Bioshock.

EDIT - Glad its working for you though ... I enjoyed my brief stint on the PS2 version.

Dirty Fingers
22-03-2008, 04:40
just to be clear on the patch, it fixes the crashes but not the other technical issues. there are still frame rate drops and stupidly long load times. The Wii version is still smoother overall.