PDA

View Full Version : New VC's "Flying horror"

Spirit
04-03-2008, 23:09
Is there any real point in taking the flying horror skill for vamps?

It gives you flying, for 30 points.

ALL vampires can take a flying nightmare, for 20 points (vampires) and 30 points (lords). This gives you US2, a S4 WS3 attack every combat, +1 armour save (it cant be barded) AND 30 points spare for vampire items.

I really cannot see a point in taking the ability. The ONLY possible reson would be for +2 strength with a great weapon, but just take a lance..

Lost_Heretic
04-03-2008, 23:24
But to get a lance you'd either need to take a magic lance or the Dread Knight power. The latter cannot happen though, since it mounts the character on a nightmare.

(But that's just a technicality)

Spirit
04-03-2008, 23:27
Well there is a magic lance for 10 points, sorted for one hero, the other can have hatred AND +1 comabt res, or level 2 and 2 hand weapons, or hatred and 2 hand weapons.

So yes, only one will get a lance, but id still have the points for cool stuff any day. No?

Lord Inquisitor
04-03-2008, 23:29
The flying horror power keeps your 360-degree charge arc, and preserves the -1 for being a man-sized target...

Spirit
04-03-2008, 23:45
-Hmm, the minus one is handy i guess.. lol still don't think its enough to sway me tbh. not fo 30 points of vamp stuff.

Suikoden108
05-03-2008, 00:14
Flying Horror paired with Spectral Form sounds like a lot of fun to me :D

smileyface
05-03-2008, 00:29
Is there any real point in taking the flying horror skill for vamps?
It gives you flying, for 30 points

At a guess (not read the book yet) the advantage of flying is that you retain your 360 charge arc. That is actually a really powerful ability, and a decent tradeoff for the extra attack. If you check the archives you'll find any number of complaints regarding the overpowered* JSoD and the Alter Kindred WE heroes, both of which have an 18" charge and 360 charge arc.

*allegedly overpowered. Alleged by the people complaining, that is.

Plus there's always the great weapon. It's nice to have the S bonus in the second round.

The Clairvoyant
05-03-2008, 08:47
it also means you can give it to a scouting vamp.

You can't scout if you're on a hellsteed.

I'm sure you can think of plenty of uses for a flying scouting vampire.
My fave combo is to then give it beguile and a frost blade and go greater daemon hunting :D

Jagosaja
05-03-2008, 08:52
Isn't Flying Horror supposed to be 50 pts?

Lord Malorne
05-03-2008, 08:54
But remember with either combination you risk him being a snack for a dragon/warmachine let alone normal missile units.

Quick question:How many power dice can a vampire possibly generate?

The Clairvoyant
05-03-2008, 08:58
nope, its 30.

The rumours said 50, but they were wrong

Mr_Rose
05-03-2008, 09:20
Quick question:How many power dice can a vampire possibly generate?
6. Or seven with the Black Periapt, but I don't think that really counts.

Synthesis
05-03-2008, 10:37
It's also worth noting that the vampire couldn't join a unit while on a hellsteed, but can if he's got the flying horror power, resulting in a nasty surprise to the face for your opponent.

Leogun_91
05-03-2008, 11:22
It's also worth noting that the vampire couldn't join a unit while on a hellsteed, but can if he's got the flying horror power, resulting in a nasty surprise to the face for your opponent.

A flying character may never ever join anything and thatīs final. It doesnīt matter if he is alone or flying on a dragon he may never join any unit, not even flyers.

Mr_Rose
05-03-2008, 12:21
A flying character may never ever join anything and thatīs final. It doesnīt matter if he is alone or flying on a dragon he may never join any unit, not even flyers.
Tell me where in the rulebook it says that and I will believe you.

UltimateNagash
05-03-2008, 12:22
Yeah, he's at -1 to hit, could scout, has 360 line of sight, can be ethereal, oh, and don't forget, this means you can take Avatar of Death...

Tell me where in the rulebook it says that and I will believe you.
I read it somewhere myself, but I can't say until tonight. Sorry

Mr_Rose
05-03-2008, 12:29
I read it somewhere myself, but I can't say until tonight. Sorry
It does not say that in either the Flyers section, the Characters section or the Monsters section.

Characters of any stripe may never join units of Flyers (p.69), but we're not talking about a unit of flyers.
Characters mounted on flying mounts may also not join any sort of unit (p.72), but we're not talking about a flying mount.
Tell me where it says "A flying character may never ever join anything and thatīs final." or the equivalent.

Oberon
05-03-2008, 12:29
Sorry, a character mounted on flying model may not join, but there isn't anything denying a flying character of joining. It does work another way round though, unit of flyers cannot be joined by anybody.
Rulebook, page 72: "Characters mounted on flying creatures cannot join units. Characters mounted on chariots can only join units of chariots." Now show us the page that says flying characters cannot join units, please? :)
Hellsteed:
+strong mount
+armour save
+US 2
+can wield lances
+cheaper than fly-power
-restricted LOS
-cannot join units

Flying horror:
+us1 model->shooting penalty
+360 LOS
+can join units
+don't have to reveal until you fly->surprise advantage
+you can use your everyday vamp as flyer :)
-more expensive than hellsteed
-goes from bloodline powers
-no lances

Flying horror combines nicely with avatar of death and/or scouting, making very hitty and fast vampires. I use flying avatar of death (GW) with flayed hauberk and periapt, oh and he carries the BSB too :) Very nice surprise when he strikes from the unit+he can support flanking elements too.

Spirit
05-03-2008, 12:45
Ok, now you see the niggly little rules i can understand why i might want flying horror, unit joining being the most prominent i should think, along with 2+ save that is pretty funny, lol.

Gaftra
05-03-2008, 12:56
i think i would use the MV 9 talisman over the flight or hellstead. the magic item is only TEN pts. and unless you leave yourself march blocked you can usually scoot around and ballistic missile someone. on a hero you can now take avatar of death and infinite hatred on a lord for some str7 re-rolled attacks on a charge while still having some points for a ward save vs. shooting or something similar.

UltimateNagash
05-03-2008, 12:59
Well, the Talisman doesn't let you hop over terrain either, plus I'm tempted to go with some hitty weapon, lots of combat boosters, Nightshroud etc so to make a character hunter Lord. Only good in 3000 points, or 2000 points if you give it to a hero

athamas
05-03-2008, 18:54
Flying horror combines nicely with avatar of death and/or scouting, making very hitty and fast vampires. I use flying avatar of death (GW) with flayed hauberk and periapt, oh and he carries the BSB too :) Very nice surprise when he strikes from the unit+he can support flanking elements too.

i was tempted to do this.. but then decided that M9 and +1 combat reas would be much much better [and the ability to hit a ranked unit in the side and possibly win! and if not to not go pop due to combat res!]

GrogsnotPowwabomba
05-03-2008, 19:26
i think i would use the MV 9 talisman over the flight or hellstead. the magic item is only TEN pts.

Wow, this thing is DIRT cheap! I did not realize. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm definately going to try to work this in somewhere...