PDA

View Full Version : Starting up a Tomb Kings Warband

The Phoenix
18-04-2005, 18:29
So... in an effort to get our armies painted, my Warhammer group has decided to build 100 point warbands, adding 50 points a week until we reach 500. Only catch, your models have to be painted and WYSIWIG.

I'll be playing Tomb Kings (which I've never played before). I already have a box of skellies, so I'll be using them first.

So...

I need a hundred points (or less) made out of the 16 skellies I get in the boxed set. Warbands have a minimum unit size of 3, so I could do a unit of 3 archers, etc. One of the models must be a champion.

I noticed that the skeleton box gives the option of equiping them with hand weapons, but the actual unit is either equiped with bows or spears and shields, so as far as I can tell, there is no actual use for the hand weapons, other than as bits or for personalization. Is that correct?

I was thinking of doing the following:

6 Skellies; spears, shields, light armor, champion, musician = 75
3 Skellies (archers) = 24

total = 99

Is it worth getting light armor for skeletons? It seems like a good idea to me, but I seem to remember hearing something about it not being worth the extra point to give them light armor.

ALTERNATE LIST (no light armor)

7 Skellies; spears, shields, champion = 73
3 Skellies (archers) = 24

total = 97

Obviously this should be building up to a full sized army, so I don't want to include anything in the warband that I won't have in a full sized army.

Thanks in advance for any help / advice you can give me :)

-Phoenix

Spider
18-04-2005, 18:42
I may be missing something, if so i apologise.

Are you intending to play at the 100pts level? If so, depending on how closely you are following the TK's rules then, well, you can't. You will need a Liche preist (and i think also a King or Prince).

Also, if you are playing very small unit sizes why would you bother with spears? Their only benefit comes from massed ranks. IMO (and this goes for probably all armies) you cannot go wrong with handweapon/light armour/sheilds.

That 4+ save is just to good not to have.

The Phoenix
18-04-2005, 18:55
Warbands are a set of special rules GW made for fighting in smaller games. What it comes down to with Tomb Kings is you don't need a prince and hierophant, you can use just one of them or you can use a unit champion as your leader. In fact, as long as the army is 500 poitns or less, you can't spend more than 150 points on characters, so it's not possible to take both the prince a hierophant. Also, man sized models have a minimum unit size of 3, cavalry are 2 and monster size bases are 1.

The Skellies don't have the option of getting just shields, they start with bows and can swap the bows for a shield and spear for an extra point. I was planning on using their handweapons, not spears anyway, I just happen to get spears if I get shields.

-Phoenix

BullBuchanan
18-04-2005, 18:55
I dont believe warbands are bound by things like needing specific army heroes of BSB's. As for the hand weapons, according to GW rules they do not need to be shown. Every model in the game(unless otherwise noted) comes equipped with a hand weapon. so if you throw bows and shields on your skellies then they also have hand weapons as well. Spider is right about that armour save. Especially in these small games you arn't going to be able to take advantage of any of TK real abilities, so make sure your guys are somewhat stout.

Also your next priority in adding to your list should be something to deal with hard troops. As it stands right now a unit of 3 heavy cav will walk all over you. Gotta do something about that.

The Phoenix
18-04-2005, 19:04
Oooh... I just noticed that I can swap my bows for shields at no cost. Excelent. That also explains the shield and hand weapon thing :D

Ok, so how's this sound:

7 Skellies; shields, light armor, champion = 73

3 Skellies; bows = 24

Total = 97

Then when we go up to 150 points, I can do this:

12 skellies; shiels, light armor, champion = 118

4 skellies; bows = 32

Total = 150 and I've used exactly 16 skellies, which is how many come in the box. :D