PDA

View Full Version : VC 2000pts

Kaine
05-03-2008, 08:53
This is a heavy magic list i'm playing with, both good casting and the ability to slow down the opponents magic phase, its likely i'll have to play alot of HE armies.

Manfred (Lord) w/Staff of Dammed w/Skull Staff (580)
(Manfred is on foot in the grave guard)

Necromancer 1 2nd spell 2x scrolls
Necromancer 2 2nd spell 2x scrolls
(these guys go in the corpse carts)

Grave Guard x 20 full command
Skeletons x 15 full command
Skeletons x 10 full command
Ghouls x 10

2 x Corpse Cart w/Balefire

Black Coach

That leaves me with around 150-180 pts (depending on a few small changes to above).

So i have 4 sideboard ideas

1. Varghulf

2. Another vampire, probably with movement 9 terror

3. 3 Wraiths

4. Some dire wolve units.

Any comments on which sideboard would work best and on the main list.

Spirit
05-03-2008, 13:12
Id go with the vargulf or vampire, you will struggle to get 4 block units marching with just manfred, you need another vamp for the 6" march. otherwise your army will be stuck in a 24" block which will get flanked.

Also, if you take the vamp, get the black periapt, seems like a very dispell'y army, so being able to save a dispell dice gives you
A: a bit more punch in magic
B: 3 dice in the power pool for the black coach to roll on, always handy!

Also, a word of warning, you have ONLY manfred to be able to pump up your skeletons, which i think you will find is harder than you think to do, and 10 gouls wont pack alot of punch, especially seeing as they rank up now, not skirmish, AND they need to be within 12 of manfred with that list, itl be hard to get the needed flank charge.

Although personally i think your anti magic is overkill, +2 to dispell and ONE corpse cart is all you need, that would leave you enough room for 3 vampires, which would give you hitty power.

15 skeletons will DIE against HE spearmen, even 30 or 40 will die, 15 ASF that need 3s then 4s? you wont last long like that.

Kaine
05-03-2008, 13:36
Variation to the above list based on comments

Manfred (Lord) w/Staff of Dammed w/Skull Staff (580)
(Manfred is on foot in the grave guard)

Necromancer 2nd spell 2x scrolls

Vampire w/BlackP HelmofCommand Lord of Dead

Grave Guard x 20 full command
Skeletons x 15 full command
Skeletons x 10 full command
Ghouls x 10
Dire Wolves x 5 (could swap these to make vamp lv2)

1 x Corpse Cart w/Balefire

Black Coach

Varghulf

Spirit
05-03-2008, 15:37
Ok how does losing a necro (55) 2 scrolls (50) and a corpse cart (100) with 150 apre points anyway, only get you one vampire and 40-50 points of wolves? you should have at LEAST 100 points still there im sure.

Kaine
05-03-2008, 15:43
I took the varghulf off the sideboard and added it to the list, so thats the missing 150+ pts your looking for.

Spirit
05-03-2008, 15:45
Ah, ok then, well thats looking pretty good. I would maybe add some bat swarms instead of the wolves (manfred can raise batswarms above starting size AND they count as infantry, unlike wolves, so they get d6 with each casting and can get pretty big pretty fast!)

Edit: oh one thing, i dont really see a use for the helm of command, making skeletons WS 6 wont help against high elves much, and manfred wont need the WS 6 in his unit, GG are nails enough. Give him lvl 2 or walking death instead (walking death fits even more in with the vons aswell!)

g0ddy
06-03-2008, 16:53
Ive been thinking about the issue of what "counts as infantry" in the book.. the two swarms are obvious candidates - spirit hosts however get axed by the etheral stipulation... bat swarms on the other hand fly... they are labled as being undead, swarms and 'flying unit'.

being a swarm or undead is irrelevant, its the flying unit part that has me worried.

helm of commandment is.. far and away one of the best magic items in the list... ws 6 grave guard? I put this into practice over the weekend. The unit destroyed - utterly destroyed, a decked out (hero + 4 champs) unit of 25 slayers... Then absorbed a flank charge from hammerers led by a thane bsb - at which point the game was called.

WS6 + great weapons w/ killing blow + banner of the barrows + dice = gross

~ zilla