PDA

View Full Version : Modelling astartes armour

tsutek
06-03-2008, 10:07
Yes. we all does it. I'm mixing mk6 & mk7 plastik bits like there's no tomorrow (too bad they upscaled the marines at some point, makes combining of RT-era mk6 impossible with the current mk6 plastix), throwing in odd hooded helmets from DA as well as from the black templar upgrade kit (my fave definetely being the 'duck' -styled helmet in the kit, yay!)

Is this very much against the fluff? I mean, I'm still gonna model 'em any way I fancy (I want some personality from a supposedly 10,000 year old fighting unit), just that I'm starting to warm up to all this fluff and am curious about it.. So, fluffmeisters, your 2 shiny pennies plz!

If we consider that there's an STC with marine armour 'prints out there somewhere, IMO it could be possible to mix 'n mash different mk armours together (isn't one of the biggest selling points in STC's their fanatical commitments to elegant design and using standard joints etc. so as to mashup things to their maximal potential? making part replacing easier as well in the process..)

Spartan
06-03-2008, 10:17
yeah it can fit in to fluff easy. Armour is recovered and reused and sometimes damaged beyond repair so would need to be replaced with new stuff. So I am sure you would end up with a mix and match of stuff.

Maybe you could write some fluff for your army and have it as a kind of honour thing to have some armour from a fallen brother say a sargeant dies, his squad share his armour in honour that he still fights with him or something.

CELS
06-03-2008, 10:36
There's a piece of fiction published by GW or Black Library, I forget which, written from the perspective of a Space Marine (I think he was a Space Wolf). He complains that his armour's machine spirit has been difficult after he replaced a damaged part of his suit. So I'd say yes, it does happen, and the different marks are probably compatible to a large degree.

bosstroll
06-03-2008, 11:00
The old space wolf metals where almost entirely made up off marines with mixed armour marks, mainly 6 & 7, but some 5 & 8 thrown in there.

Also, i remember from some source i cant recall right now, that power armour is designed specifically so parts are interchangeable.

pookie
06-03-2008, 11:02
sounds like a good idea, the only thing that may cause you 'problems' and im saying that witha pinch of salt, is that does it fit with the background of your force?.

Suits of SM armour are highly prized by there chapters, and the older the suit the more highly prized it is to the hcpater, for me the best models to have the 'older' version are Characters and Vet Marines/Sgts, but that sholdnt stop you mixing and matching.

oh and the 'Duck' helmet you mentioned is MKIV.

Supremearchmarshal
06-03-2008, 12:22
I don't know about the other marks, but mk6 and mk7 parts are fully compatible according to the fluff.

tsutek
06-03-2008, 12:32
sounds like a good idea, the only thing that may cause you 'problems' and im saying that witha pinch of salt, is that does it fit with the background of your force?

Well, I'm building a blood angels force.. kind of ;)

I am mixing GW fluff for my own (ie. no coloured helmets, a reddish camouflage pattern on the force instead of plain red, using "scaly green" as a 'sacred colour' for the chapter that the vets use on their cloaky bits) but I really see no problem in this since from the beginning I thought that I want to be able to field the bastards as either a "vanilla" SM chapter or as official BA.

In addition to this, I fell in love with scouts gameplay-wise (4+ save totally enough for me, and the ability to customize everyone's weaponry is kick ass!) so I'm gonna try and cram lots more of them to the force.. I paint the scouts in a totally un-fluffy way (thought they looked like the soldiers from "DOOM" the computer game, so painted them with charandon granite and camo pattern) but hey, who's not gonna spot a bunch of guerrillas 'hiding' in the woods that are wearing bright red?

Suits of SM armour are highly prized by there chapters, and the older the suit the more highly prized it is to the hcpater, for me the best models to have the 'older' version are Characters and Vet Marines/Sgts, but that sholdnt stop you mixing and matching.

Yeah, I'm giving the best mashup treatment to the troops that I consider having stayed alive the longest (sergeants, veterans, hq), but I like to give flavour to heavy weapon marines as well (got a WIP mk6 marine with the classic RT-era plastic missile launcher that's gonna rule!)

I try to keep most tac marines in the basic mk7 with no mashups, I always thought that they'd be the first ones to die in a fight :) And scouts get only the default bits since they're the real rookies of the force (except for their sergeants)

oh and the 'Duck' helmet you mentioned is MKIV.

I see.. thanks for the info.

Man how I wish GW would start making plastic sets for pimping marines with the classic armors - I'd love to use all the older mk's chest and leg pieces too, not just their helmets.. but what would be left to convert if they did that!

pookie
06-03-2008, 15:23
[QUOTE=tsutek;2414948] (got a WIP mk6 marine with the classic RT-era plastic missile launcher that's gonna rule!) [QUOTE]

i hate you :D

wanna know why?

coz im trying to get hold of some of those Missle Launchers for my Post HH IF ofrce im building using MKVI marines! there like Rocking Horse Poo!!!

igenstilch
06-03-2008, 17:30
I love this thread! you all have inspired me to make my renigade chaos armies armor slightly miss match and give them some fluff. Give them the whole swap meet look.

tsutek
07-03-2008, 09:54
I love this thread! you all have inspired me to make my renigade chaos armies armor slightly miss match and give them some fluff. Give them the whole swap meet look.

Isn't that the whole beauty of these plastic models!

tsutek
07-03-2008, 11:15
i hate you :D

wanna know why?

coz im trying to get hold of some of those Missle Launchers for my Post HH IF ofrce im building using MKVI marines! there like Rocking Horse Poo!!!

Tell you what! I have a few complete sprues of RT-era mk6 plastics, and bits for 2-4 marines partially assembled/painted.. I have also antoher "spare" RT era plastic missile launcher in my box (painted I'm afraid). Where do you live? I can send you that stuff by mail if you can offer something in return ;p

PM me if you're interested

Jim
07-03-2008, 11:41
Tell you what! I have a few complete sprues of RT-era mk6 plastics, and bits for 2-4 marines partially assembled/painted.. I have also antoher "spare" RT era plastic missile launcher in my box (painted I'm afraid). Where do you live? I can send you that stuff by mail if you can offer something in return ;p

*Stands up and applauds tsutek*

This is why I love Warseer and the community it helps create on these pages, - guy comes on to tell us what he is up to, gets lots of positive feedback, inspires others to create something similar and dishes out spare parts to fellow Warseers - outstanding stuff!

Jim

PS I'm in the middle of putting together a pre-heresy World Eaters army and would love to see any pictures of your stuff as and when you can...

Aeolian
07-03-2008, 12:08
No STC for Marine Armour ;)

pookie
07-03-2008, 12:55

PM sent - many thanks :D

Aeolian
04-04-2008, 19:12
No stc for marine armour. None at all.

Lord Inquisitor
04-04-2008, 19:20
Marks 6, 7 and 8 were designed to be completely interchangable. So no problem. Captain Artemis, for example, clearly has a Mk8 breastplate, but retains the Mark 6/7 abdomen with exposed cabelling.

Earlier Marks are not so easy to modify, but over the millenia Techmarines have had to patch the suits so much that they are essentially compatible with later Marks anyway.

MrBigMr
04-04-2008, 19:47
I do believe one of the marks was less compitable than others. I'm willing to bet Mk. 4 (mostly because there's so few of them) or 5 (Heresy!).

My SM chapter will have Mk. 6 & 7 armours only. I'm even doing my best to make them as correct as I can. I wanted to have a more uniform look. And my Chaos army will have armours made mostly from Mk. 3 bits and bobs, but as they're not marines, the armour type is different (will have different bits too).

I once got bored and modelled this marine:
http://www.labyrinth-productions.com/Pics/termies3.jpg
Just for kicks. I wanted it to be sort of a Mk. 3, but the studded leg is closer to Mk. 5 (didn't know the difference of armours back then). Has a spike mohawk from the SM commander Iron Halo, a back banner with a laurel on the top, a bionic arm and a bolt pistol/CCW combo. Good as a sergeant.

If someone is interested on trading for it, or just want better pics, PM me.

Lord Inquisitor
04-04-2008, 20:31
Actually, Mark II would probably be what you're thinking of (the hoop-shaped plates are difficult to maintain and presumably difficult to integrate with other Mks)

Leftenant Gashrog
04-04-2008, 21:15
Actually, Mark II would probably be what you're thinking of (the hoop-shaped plates are difficult to maintain and presumably difficult to integrate with other Mks)

No hes right its its MkIV, when the Heresy broke out the legions quickly ran out of MkIV spare parts and were forced to start putting Mks II & III back into use as MkIV suits became inoperable due to battlefield damage, to solve the supply problem MkV was designed (hastily) based around Mk II/III components so that existing stockpiles of spares could be used.

Oh and according to the classic armour article the 'hoops' were actually easy to maintain but difficult to repair.

ctsteel
04-04-2008, 21:34
I seem to recall the space wolves 13th company are wearing armour pieces scavenged from whatever they can find (including bits of traitor marine armour). the later marks of marine armour are mainly slight improvements to things like the cooling cables etc so the fundamental connectivity of the pieces ought to be the same - and the 13th co would prove this.

space_kitten
05-04-2008, 19:44
Not sure what the story is behind your chapter , but maybe you could say they are on a crusade/ exploring far from the rest of the Imperium, so they have to recycle armour, or even start to use native technologies to augment it.