PDA

View Full Version : Removing Casualties / Always Strike First

Lorquas
06-03-2008, 14:56
Hi

Being new to Warhammer it seems me and my mates have overlooked a rather major rule! We've been playing that you remove casualties from the rear of the unit. However, what we hasn't realised is that the models that replace models killed on the front rank of a unit don't get to fight in the turn they replace them! I thought this rule only applied to unit Champions - that if they were killed no one replaces them in the fron rank until after that round.

1 - does this mean that a unit of just 5 High Elf Sword Masters (always trike first) is quite likely to mow through a weak unit (say toughness 3 and shields) without any models even getting to attack back once?

2 - what about units of spearmen. If the unit of spearmen you are attacking is 5 models wide and you kill 10 models in that unit - does this mean that the front rank (all killed) can't attack AND the next 5 models in the second rank are killed as well?

3 - does this mean that a unit of High Elf Spearmen (fight in 3 ranks, always strike first) is almost invincible as it will have 15 attacks and if it kills all 5 models on the front rank of the enemy no one will be eligible to attack back?

Sorry if this is rather basic but it has rather changed things for us!!!

Thanks

Lorquas

EvC
06-03-2008, 15:07
Your interpretation of the rules is correct, but that certainly doesn't make Spearmen invincible in combat!

Benigno (WE)
06-03-2008, 15:12
Yeah, that's correct, and try not to charge the spearmen unit on the frontal line. Look for his flanks and rear, so they cannot use the lances ^_^

Dogs of War pikemen are better, because they use 4 ranks, always strike first and versus cavalry, chariots and monsters have +1 strenght bonus the first turn ^o^

Avian
06-03-2008, 16:48
3 - does this mean that a unit of High Elf Spearmen (fight in 3 ranks, always strike first) is almost invincible as it will have 15 attacks and if it kills all 5 models on the front rank of the enemy no one will be eligible to attack back?
If you charge High Elf Spearmen in the front with a WS3, T3 unit with no armour, then the High Elves will on average wipe out the front rank, letting no models attack. Charge them in the front with something with better stats and you will have progressively more models making return attacks.

For example, the Spearmen are unlikely to kill more than one or two Orcs and a unit of 25 Boyz with shields will usually defeat a Spearman unit costing 50% more than they do, despite the elves striking first with three ranks.

FigureFour
11-03-2008, 13:08
2 - what about units of spearmen. If the unit of spearmen you are attacking is 5 models wide and you kill 10 models in that unit - does this mean that the front rank (all killed) can't attack AND the next 5 models in the second rank are killed as well?

Your interpretation of the rules is correct, but that certainly doesn't make Spearmen invincible in combat!

Wait, this is right? I thought you couldn't wipe out more then the front rank. Spears let you attack from the back, they don't say you can BE attacked from the back.

Atrahasis
11-03-2008, 13:11
There is no limit (except the number of models in the unit and the number of attacks you have) on the number of models that can be killed in close combat.

FigureFour
11-03-2008, 16:57
Yeah, I just found the rule in question.

Serves me right for listening to things on Warseer instead of reading the rules.

EvC
11-03-2008, 17:09
What things on Warseer gave you the wrong impression on the rules? When you first posted you had an incorrect pre-conceived idea, and were promtply corrected. You can listen to (some of) us ;)