PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Charge Question

Zoink
06-10-2005, 12:52
We really didbn't know how to deal with this question when it came up in one of our first games.

Can you charge through your own units? We had a situation where a line of chaos cavalry where poised a couple of inches behind a lone warrior fighting a couple of rat ogres. Like this (ignore the dots):

CCCCCCC

.....W
ROgROg

We ended up putting them like this:

....WCCCCCCC
RogROg

There was no way they could get in that position with a single turn (all they're allowed to make if I read the rules right). Is this a legal charge or do you need a clear path between you and the target unit?

Avian
06-10-2005, 12:56
No, you can't move through other models. If the cavalry could not have completed that charge with their single wheel + alignment, the charge would have failed.

You do not otherwise need to have a clear path to the unit you are charging when you declare the charge, so if there is a single fleeing model in the path of your charge you can still declare a charge even though the path is blocked at the time the charge is declared.
(As you probably know, fleeing models move before chargers do.)

Tarax
08-10-2005, 10:30
You have moved the unit to the correct position.

As Avian said, you can't move through your own units. But you are perfectly in your right to charge an enemy unit which is already in close combat. Just move them next to your other unit.

The biggest problem is movement. Just 1 wheel before you move the unit in contact. But most of the time this is no problem at all.

That aside; there is no reason to agree with you opponent to place your unit on both sides of your lone warrior, or to move him to the side. As long as you both agree, there's no limit on what you can do. (BTW There are no rules to back this up.)

Festus
08-10-2005, 11:49
Hi

You have moved the unit to the correct position.

No, as Avain pointed out, he has not, as...

There was no way they could get in that position with a single turn .
So the charge in itself was not legal, thus no contact is made.

But *if* the charge had been able to be properly conducted, you cannot end up as such with your wheel.
Geometrics tell us that there must be a gap between the two fighting units if the second unit wheeled across a line vertical to the mini(s) already in combat.

Not that it matters much and I daresay we all play it just the way it is shown in the first post.
:)

Greetings
Festus

mageith
08-10-2005, 17:48
There was no way they could get in that position with a single turn (all they're allowed to make if I read the rules right).

The real question is whether they could have made contact at any legal point.

P 265 Once the charging unit has touched its opponent the combat is committed and it only remains to align the antagonists where the charge has been made at an angle.

Is this a legal charge or do you need a clear path between you and the target unit?
You need a clear path to make some sort of contact. It's unclear if that was possible from your diagram.

It it was, then you and your opponent MUST agree on how to align them into a battleline. Your final solution was fine since you both agreed to it (assuming the chargers could have touched their target in the first place.)

Mage Ith

Tarax
09-10-2005, 14:56
No, as Avain pointed out, he has not, as...

I was referring to the position of the new unit NEXT to the old one. And not on the flank, rear or divided on both sides or anything like that.

I assumed that the new unit had enough room to make a wheel and still make it to the enemy unit.

It's a bit harsh to assume I am wrong on only some words.

As readers and commentators on this forum were are most of the time not present when the situation occurs and must rely on the information that is given.

Back to topic: Zoink, maybe you have forgotten the allignment rule, where a unit which has made contact with the enemy, by moving straight forward, can 'wheel' the unit so as to have them 'alligned' opposite each other at a 180 degrees angle, ie facing each other. This 'wheel' is free from your movement allowance and in addition to the 1 wheel you can make before contact.

Hope this helps, and if not, please give us the distance between the Knights and the Rat Ogres.

snikch13
10-10-2005, 05:46
Can you charge through your own units? We had a situation where a line of chaos cavalry where poised a couple of inches behind a lone warrior fighting a couple of rat ogres.

no you cant charge thru, tho you can charge next to if you can reach.

There was no way they could get in that position with a single turn (all they're allowed to make if I read the rules right). Is this a legal charge or do you need a clear path between you and the target unit?

well if you have line of sight to a part of the front you can charge, you just require the movement to reach the unit.

basically after measuring for your wheel and forward movement the question to ask is, did you have enough movement to make contact? if you made contact with even a corner of the chaos knights then you get your free align which would make your move legal, if you didnt have enough to reach the unit then it was a failed charge with only 8 inches movement forward by the knights. (this is the kind of gobbledigook that the back of the book is talking about in regards to clipping and trying to avoid it) :D

Zoink
11-10-2005, 16:08
Thanks for the responses guys - and apologies for my dodgy illustration.

The rationale for saying the knights got in (they were literally an inch behind the warrior was that they could wheel from here:

CCCCCCC

.....W
ROgROg

To here:

CC
....CC
....W CC
ROgROg

This resulted in the slightest of contacts, so we then aligned them like this:]

....WCCCCCCC
RogROg

It was literally just a wheel, no forward movement asas he would then have run into his warrior before hitting the ogres.

But in general my question has been answered: you can't move through other models (your own or enemy models) while making moves and charges. Cheers!

Festus
11-10-2005, 17:08
Hi

In the case illustrated in your last post, you did right regarding the basic gist of the rules.

Greetings
Festus