View Full Version : 2000 Of ogres - Alternative but competative

Akuma
18-04-2005, 20:20
1 Tyrant 306 Pts
General; Luck Gnoblar (x1); Sword Gnoblar (x1); Ogre Club; Heavy Armour
Tenderiser [50]
Wyrdstone Necklace [20]
Deathcheater [20]

Full Prof - goes with IG - making one tought unit do deal with - usualy just in the middle of a battle line.

1 Butcher 180 Pts
Dispel Scroll [25]
Dispel Scroll [25]

Spell caster - one in each of bull units

1 Butcher 155 Pts
Bangstick [25]

Spell caster - one in each of bull units

20 Gnoblars 40 Pts
Sharp Stuff

On flanks - add ranks and accept charges

20 Gnoblars 40 Pts
Sharp Stuff

On flanks - add ranks and accept charges

9 Gnoblar Trappers 54 Pts
Sharp Stuff

Mixing it on close to the enemy - denying marches and buing time and so on

5 Ogre Bulls 230 Pts
Look-Out Gnoblar; 2nd Weapon; Standard; Musician

Main combat reg

5 Ogre Bulls 230 Pts
Look-Out Gnoblar; 2nd Weapon; Standard; Musician

Main combat reg

5 Ironguts 275 Pts
Look-Out Gnoblar; Great Weapon; Ogre Club; Heavy Armour; Standard;
Musician

Main combat reg

3 Yhetees 195 Pts
Ice Weapon

Flank supporters

2 Leadbelchers 110 Pts
Light Armour

Goes betwean bulls and iron guts

2 Leadbelchers 110 Pts
Light Armour

Goes betwean bulls and iron guts

1 Gorger 75 Pts

Black horse and one trick pony

Casting Pool: 6

Dispel Pool: 4

Models in Army: 75

Total Army Cost: 2000

The usual battle line would look like this

T T T
YYY GGGG OOO LL III LL OOO GGGG

What do you think ???

Artemis_Quinn
21-04-2005, 21:29
I really like the list overall, it is very very nice, but I have a few comments.

Why spend 200 points on yhetees when you could reinvest those points into Gnoblars (sorry but I love those little boogers) or a scrap launcha? The scrap launcha is an amazing war marchine in my opinion since as well as being able to move and shoot (if I remember correctly) it has a unit strength of 5 so you can bust up ranks with it. I'd definitely have to trade off yhetees for one of those and 10 more gnoblars in each of you gnoblar units (30 is much more rliable than 20, and for as cheap as they are it doesn't really matter) (if possible I'd actually try and find a way to add 2 Scrap launchas to this army)

I like the gorgers all though I feel they are a little unreliable and not quite enough. But they are nice, just not sure they're worth 75 points in my opinion.

Other than that I have to say that I like the list, I'm not so sure about the low number of leadbelchers in each of those two units but it is a respectable idea. But that's just what I think.

Akuma
22-04-2005, 21:03
1) Scraps - Move 6" - to slow - ogres move 12" - Scrap wont charge with them and it's unrelaiable. Yeats on the other hand - due to 7" movment + ability to ignore terrain and 3d6 chase ?? - yes pleeese - on gorger - he's takken just for psychological effect ,, and commonn knowledge is that gnobs work best in units of 20 - nobody targets them anywhay :D

Sariel
23-04-2005, 03:32
1) and commonn knowledge is that gnobs work best in units of 20 - nobody targets them anywhay :D

I would - especially if I have any amount of S3 shooting. The last thing I want is a unit with 3 ranks hitting me in the flanks when I'm tied up with the Ironguts, and once the wee gnobs panic, they are'nt coming back.

Anyways.. about the list:

1) Looks good, but I'm not too sure about sticking the Tyrant in with the Ironguts. Fluffy? Yes, but then the Ironguts don't really need any help. The Tyrant might be a close-combat killing machine, but I've found the real reason to take him is his Leadership of 9. Regular Ogres panic too easy.. And Yhetees, for that matter...

Units of 4 Ogre Bulls hang out with the Tyrant, where they can benefit from his leadership and hitting power, while 1-2 units of 3-4 Ironguts work the flanks. 5 Ogres in a line are just too damned cumbersome...

2) Which is the reason I'd rather take Scraplaunchers compared to Yhetees.
Like you said, Yhetees are the perfect flanker, which means they're way off to one side, far far away from the Tyrant. Which also means that they are usually pretty close to the table edge...... and Ld 7 is kinda low for a unit that usually operates on its own and is pretty vulnerable to shooting.. One panic test and a bad roll, and they're off the table. The fact that they don't have musicians does'nt help either....

3) I'd do my best to squeeze a champion into the Leadbelcher unit. Dirt cheap, and arguably one of the best upgrades in the Ogre list. Don't forget these guys are still Ogre Bulls after they've fired their shotguns...

Akuma
23-04-2005, 09:24
Gnobs - So you wouldn't target Ogres ??? - Ok I can live with that - besides ogres will hit you'r line in 2-3 turns not much time to shoot ;) And as I've said you have 3 mean looking ogre units right at you'r door - you shoot gnobs ?? Me very very happy.

1) Looks good, but I'm not too sure about sticking the Tyrant in with the Ironguts. Fluffy? Yes, but then the Ironguts don't really need any help. The Tyrant might be a close-combat killing machine, but I've found the real reason to take him is his Leadership of 9.

Yeah this is why he goes in the center of a line and he can make great in chalanges :D and I run my units in much much underestimated formation of 3 frontage ( so full block with chars ) or 4 in front with char - I never use them in 5 frontage option - and 3 frontage is realy realy good if you face of aginst manuvrable army and you don't want weels to consume much of you'r movment.

2) Which is the reason I'd rather take Scraplaunchers compared to Yhetees.

I would say no agin - The main contingent is 3 units + 2 support belchers units if thay get to enemy line unmolested i won - if my opponent splits his shooting in gnobs or yeats as you said earlier he won't do damege to buffed up units from main force with is very very good + yeats terrain crossing abbility makes them graet at springing forn high LOS obscuring cliffs and mountains - and tahy are if one can use them right - best ogre unit to hit the flank and roll down enemy battle line ;)