PDA

View Full Version : Can units change what weapons they use (from swords to bows?)

bluekitsune13
07-03-2008, 11:39
I thought I read in one of the Warhammer rulebooks that if a unit can be equipped with different types of weapons it can change between them. For example, Night Goblins can be made with bows, spears, or hand weapons. If I bring a unit of Night Goblins into battle with spears, but decide later that I need ranged support, can I have them switch to their bows?

I'm not sure if there are certain requirements for this to take place. Maybe you can only do it if you're not engaged in combat. I'm also guessing that you should spend the extra points if necessary to arm your unit with another weapon too.

So, can somebody clarify for me? Is this in the current edition of the Rulebook, or perhaps only a certain army can do this? Another reason for asking is because that way I can model my army with multiple weapons. In my Orc Warriors box I got too many spears. So what I could do is just put the spears on their back when they're not in use, and to have the spearmen carry Choppas.

Chiungalla
07-03-2008, 11:50
You need all the weapon options.
You use what ever weapon you want, unless you are engaged in close combat.

You must choose one weapon when you are engaged in close combat (after stand and shoot), and can not change them again, untill that close combat ends.

bluekitsune13
07-03-2008, 12:06
You're saying you have the spend the points to get specific weapon options? Like for my Orcs, if I spend the points to use Choppa and Shield, spears, and 2 Choppas, then I can decide which one to use before I charge the enmy, right?

Lexy
07-03-2008, 12:44
You're saying you have the spend the points to get specific weapon options? Like for my Orcs, if I spend the points to use Choppa and Shield, spears, and 2 Choppas, then I can decide which one to use before I charge the enmy, right?

Yep, very expensive, but that's the way.

Nurgling Chieftain
07-03-2008, 19:34
Note that individual units may or may not be able to buy various combinations of weapons. For example, if I recall correctly, night goblins exchange their spears for bows so the unit can have either but not both.

08-03-2008, 03:55
all models also come with hand weapons.

so you can choose at the start of a combat what weapon the unit is using. you can NOT change that option till that combat is done ie. they flee,die, you flee, or die (then you can't change :D )

remember that when you have spears for your gobbos and you want that little extra save. (but you lose the extra attack. oh well)

however giving a unit every option they can get is un-advised as it is a huge waste of points (but you have to love black orcs because they get it all)

Tarax
08-03-2008, 12:53
bluekitsune13, I expect you are new to the game. If you look in your Army book you can find which weapons your unit come equipped with and also which options each unit has. Eg. Night Goblins come with Hand Weapond and Shield at a basic cost of 3 point per model. They have the option to take a Spear at +1 point per model. Remember to give every model in the unit a Spear. So 20 Night Goblins will cost 60 point at basic and 80 points if equipped with Spears. You could also equip them with Short Bows, which doesn't cost a thing, but you loose the Shield and can no longer take Spears. So 20 Night Goblins with Hand Weapon and Short Bow will cost 60 points.

Hope this helps.