PDA

View Full Version : How to kill Abaddon?

Richter Kless
07-03-2008, 16:22
How can it be done?

He is the most destructive close combat monster currently alive.
He has godlike armour and other protections.
The Apocalypse background states than entire strike force of Temple Assassins failed to kill Abaddons confidants, let alone the Warmaster himself.
When he is not on the ground, butchering your troops, he is commanding one of the most dangerous warships in the galaxy.

How could the Imperium deal with who is probably public enemy nr. 1?

Baaltharus
07-03-2008, 16:36
Probably the same way the Imperial Navy beat the planet killer the first time, torpedo and Nova cannon it until its so much mangled metal. Alternatively you could just get a Warlord to stand on em'.

The simple fact is that Abaddons far from invincible and the only thing thats kept him alive this long is the 40ks world need of a head baddy to lead the forces of Chaos.

heretics bane
07-03-2008, 16:36
Imperium style: Send thousands of men to their deaths then nuke'em

I dont think he has come up aginst grey knight squad yet,but im not sure

teh_soldier
07-03-2008, 16:39
I'm gonna go with some kind of heavy bombardment.
Like with the Gothic War, keep Lancing, Torpeoing and Nova Cannoning the Planet Killer until its utterly annihilated.
Or if he's on the ground, Virus-bomb him, then keep striking the ground.

Grimdakka
07-03-2008, 16:42
Sic the Orks on him. :evilgrin:

nagash66
07-03-2008, 16:44
The planet killer is NOT one of the most dangerous warships in the galaxy against other ships at least, i would simple attapt to destroy him while on board, a battle barge & retribution combo should be able to do it easy

Gimp
07-03-2008, 16:53
Eldrad got very very very close to killing him in the 13th black crusade

basicly he lured him onto a world and it was Eldrad and the seer council vs Abaddon and his chosen.

during the battle Eldrad looked into the future and saw that would happen. Adaddon charged him so Eldrad just put his staff out and Adaddon inpaled (spellin?) himself on it because his demon sword wanted blood or something. And just before Eldrad could counter attack the Gods teleported Abaddon away :o

Promethius
07-03-2008, 18:00
If I remember correctly that was in a 40k battle report that that happened; in the game Abaddon died but in the accompanying fluff he managed to survive (I forget how; I think that Eldred realised that his survival was necessary to prevent some future event or other).

Apart from his status as leader of chaos and therefore unkillable in GW's eyes, Abaddon is a bit of a beast. Brother-Captain Stern and his terminator retinue might have a chance, especially if supported by imperial assassins. Space ship combat is the way forward though; destroy the planet killer whilst he's on it and forget about the bugger.

Vaulkhar
07-03-2008, 18:18
Actually Stern and Abaddon face off in one of the Apocalypse book's battle reports. Stern beat Abaddon down, but the Despoiler got away. Again. In fairness, Abbie had just dealt with some Assassins though.

And I'm not so sure about ship-to-ship. You'd have to vapourise every bit of debris more than 8 feet long to be sure...

Talos402000
07-03-2008, 18:29
Yep, score one for the good guys Zeke (for once). I'd do it the way they nailed Angron on Armageddon. Just teleport a hundred Grey Knights assult Terminators in close and let them start chopping. I think a like number of Custodes would have a good chance too. Other than that, send a thousand marines, or ten-thousand guardsmen.

Chaos and Evil
07-03-2008, 18:42
Yep, score one for the good guys Zeke (for once). I'd do it the way they nailed Angron on Armageddon. Just teleport a hundred Grey Knights assult Terminators in close and let them start chopping. I think a like number of Custodes would have a good chance too. Other than that, send a thousand marines, or ten-thousand guardsmen.

Unlike Angron, Abbadon tends to be somewhat subtle.

Abbadon retains all of his skill as a Space Marine commander... Angron's mind is gone, all he cares about is finding the biggest battle he can and taking a few thousand skulls.

So, Angron: Easy to find.

Abbadon: Not going to be broadcasting his location to the whole planet until *he* wants to strike, and no rapid-reaction force is going to be able to respond in time.

Supremearchmarshal
07-03-2008, 20:18
The easiest way to kill Abaddon is to open the airlock when he's aboard a ship - that'll teach him to wear a helmet!

Johnnyfrej
07-03-2008, 20:27
Try Lascannons or Demolisher Cannons :evilgrin:
Sure he gets a +4 invul but he will go down fast to sustained firepower.
Throw enough ordanance at him and he will die like any other gnat at the Imperium's side.

-Private Jon

DantesInferno
07-03-2008, 20:34
Unlike Angron, Abbadon tends to be somewhat subtle.

Abbadon retains all of his skill as a Space Marine commander... Angron's mind is gone, all he cares about is finding the biggest battle he can and taking a few thousand skulls.

So, Angron: Easy to find.

Abbadon: Not going to be broadcasting his location to the whole planet until *he* wants to strike, and no rapid-reaction force is going to be able to respond in time.

Funnily enough, the Luna Wolves (and Horus and Abaddon in particular) pioneered the "spear-tip" assassination tactic when they were creating the Imperium during the Great Crusade....

biggreengribbly
07-03-2008, 23:25
Nuke him from Orbit. it's the only way to be sure.

:evilgrin:

keatsmeister
07-03-2008, 23:31
Bring in the conscript platoons en masse.

"Right, platoon! On my command...... NOW!"

"We know a song that'll get on your nerves..." :D

As for Abaddon, let's just see him come up against Angron and survive first. The Imperium can try to kill him, but its far more likely that something far bigger and nastier will do the job. My money would be on Necrons/C'Tan to do the job

Grimbad
08-03-2008, 00:18
What I'd do were I a Space MArine commander is send in some dedicated wackos with a teleport homer. Get them in close combat with Abbadon, then teleport into the midst of the combat... a pile of boulders. Abbadon gets a rock fused with his head and dies, and the wackos get their names into the book of honor.

ICEMANQ
08-03-2008, 00:54
I don't understand what Warseer's obsession with Grey Knights is about. How can a psychic marine with above average gear hope to kill someone who has a)been fighting for what may as well be 10,000 years, b)has been given insane powers by the Chaos Gods, c)waltzes around with Horus' personal weaponry and d)is basically the undisputed leader of the CSM.

Anyway, if you actually had to kill someone like that(ie if GW decide to), you wouldn't do it up close and personal.

Lt.Bradford
08-03-2008, 01:23
Unfortunately, Abbadon can't die. Why? He is like Archaon, they are GW's big nasty dude that seems so ever lomming, but ends up screwing up and just sitting their shaking their fists. I personally would have loved to see Eldrad or Stern, or Guardsman #2688 kill Abbadon, or maybe some some kind of a Blood Angel removing his claw.

Feor
08-03-2008, 01:24
Because a fully trained Grey Knight can nullify most of Abbadon's Chaos Gifts, and a high ranking fully trained Grey Knight can go blow for blow with a Bloodthirster and have a reasonable expectation of success.

I think if they're going to kill Abbadon it'll have to be something Cinematic. I've always liked the mental image of Abbadon, Stern, Calgar, and the Commander of the Custodes dueling on the steps leading to the Golden Throne.

Shaper Shakra
08-03-2008, 02:13
The commander of the Custodes is Alpharius, so that fight would end very quickly. *Ducks out to avoid flaming*

ICEMANQ
08-03-2008, 02:37
Because a fully trained Grey Knight can nullify most of Abbadon's Chaos Gifts, and a high ranking fully trained Grey Knight can go blow for blow with a Bloodthirster and have a reasonable expectation of success.

I think if they're going to kill Abbadon it'll have to be something Cinematic. I've always liked the mental image of Abbadon, Stern, Calgar, and the Commander of the Custodes dueling on the steps leading to the Golden Throne.

Cough, I find it hard to believe that the powers of the most favoured of evil incarnate (the evil that destroyed the Eldar, can control material time and space, etc) can be nullified by a Grey Knight? Uh huh. We're talking fluff here..

Zandur of Bronte
08-03-2008, 02:54
We managed to kill him in a mega-battle... we sic'd a Warlord on him ^_^

Feor
08-03-2008, 03:28
Cough, I find it hard to believe that the powers of the most favoured of evil incarnate (the evil that destroyed the Eldar, can control material time and space, etc) can be nullified by a Grey Knight? Uh huh. We're talking Fluff here..

Oh, I don't think he'd be rendered down to a mewling kitty or anything, but the very existance of Grey Knights nearby is painful to the Daemonic and anathema to their gifts. Abbadon would still be stronger, faster, and tougher than he would be without his patrons gifts, but it'd be cut down, probably to the point that a few Grey Knights would at least stand a halfway decent chance of putting the big man down. (at least, right up until the Chaos Gods spirited him away)

Pooky
08-03-2008, 05:14
Imperium style: Send thousands of men to their deaths then nuke'em

I dont think he has come up aginst grey knight squad yet,but im not sure

Only 1000's? I would be sending whole planets to their doom! They are all in service of the Emperor!

heretics bane
08-03-2008, 14:37
Only 1000's? I would be sending whole planets to their doom! They are all in service of the Emperor!

Woops left untold out of that post:p

Maybe a massive ork waagh!? with Gazgul(sp?) leading it that wound be one hell of a fight then maybe Dante teleporting in, gives Abbadon a kick in the jewels for killing his primach and steals/damages a few of his weapons.

nagash66
08-03-2008, 20:46

Commander of Custodes ok, Stern ok, Pappa smurf :wtf: he isnt even famous for being a hardcore CC monster i mean there are so many more badass marines then Calgar, Dante in full black rage mode:evilgrin:

Gimp
08-03-2008, 20:55
Unfortunately, Abbadon can't die. Why? He is like Archaon, they are GW's big nasty dude that seems so ever lomming, but ends up screwing up and just sitting their shaking their fists. I personally would have loved to see Eldrad or Stern, or Guardsman #2688 kill Abbadon, or maybe some some kind of a Blood Angel removing his claw.

Not true really GW killed off Eldrad and we was a major player for the Eldar so maybe one day they will kill him off although the 13 black crusade would have been the best time to do it.

Shaper Shakra
08-03-2008, 21:01
They also killed that one Blood Angel on Armageddon (I think?) I know he was a special character for a long time, then on Armageddon he joined the Death Company (which traditionally ends in death :D)

DantesInferno
08-03-2008, 21:09
They also killed that one Blood Angel on Armageddon (I think?) I know he was a special character for a long time, then on Armageddon he joined the Death Company (which traditionally ends in death :D)

Captain Erasmus Tycho.

jedideinos
08-03-2008, 21:35
Kill Abaddon? It would have to be in close combat -every great villain or hero deserves a stylish death, not some anonymous blast from a big gun.

OT - It seems every Chaos player in the local GW takes Abaddon. I've killed him so many times in games that I'm now seriously thinking of refusing to play any army including him on the grounds of boredom.

Super Ninja
09-03-2008, 00:31
In fluff: have him go out epic style with the most appropriate SC to kill him in some collosal battle that would decide the fate of, like, the whole darned Imperium.

Posable SC:
Dante-gets revenge Horus' right-hand-man for geting Sanguinius killed.
Eldrad- comes back from the dead and smashes his face in.
The Emperor-the Emperor comes back and makes his head explode by looking at him (this is the least likely one, of course).

In Game: shoot him with lots of Lascannons/brightlances/earthshakers/zapp gunz/etc. at range. If he gets too close for comfort use a callidus/C'Tan/ridiculously powerful cc Killy Mc'Death guy to rip him up.

P.S. Shaper Shaka: how, exactly, is alpharius the leader of the Adeptus Custodes? Was that supposed to be a joke?

Sekhmet
09-03-2008, 01:04
In Game: shoot him with lots of Lascannons/brightlances/earthshakers/zapp gunz/etc. at range. If he gets too close for comfort use a callidus/C'Tan/ridiculously powerful cc Killy Mc'Death guy to rip him up.

In-game, Abaddon beats basically everything in CC including Callidus Assassins. He goes about even with C'tan, which is kind of scary.

n00bLord
09-03-2008, 01:20
You could just place him beneath a plasma torch and watch his model melt into oblivion. I think you win then?

Warlord Gnashgrod
09-03-2008, 04:02
I would send the C'tan after him. They might at least stand a chance mano-y-mano.

Alessander
09-03-2008, 04:20
Most likely way for Abaddon to die is for the Chaos Gods to get involved. Either he is betrayed by them (most likely by Tzeentch) or he "fails" them and is punished.

zoodog
09-03-2008, 05:24
Most likely way for Abaddon to die is for the Chaos Gods to get involved. Either he is betrayed by them (most likely by Tzeentch) or he "fails" them and is punished.

I agree, I think in one of the fluff parts of the BFG book Abaddon is talking to a seer (who gives him the basic plans to take control of the blackstone fortresses) and mentions that he will be betrayed.

It's also kind of the way of chaos, if the dark gods decide to favor someone else then they may do it at a bad time for him.

NerdyOgre254
09-03-2008, 05:50
Yeah, but that means that they get a new head evil guy. and when you get a new head evil guy he's going to be even nastier than the previous one.

heretics bane
09-03-2008, 13:22
Yeah, but that means that they get a new head evil guy. and when you get a new head evil guy he's going to be even nastier than the previous one.

Well i think GW have already tried with Huron blackheart but i personnaly find him less of a threat and even his model looks quite stupid with the "Change please!" powerfist pose..

D.B.
09-03-2008, 13:54
Well i think GW have already tried with Huron blackheart but i personnaly find him less of a threat and even his model looks quite stupid with the "Change please!" powerfist pose..
Bah! I loved the new Huron model (far better than the one I made back in 2nd edition to represent him), but now you've pointed that out I don't think I'll be able to look at it again without cracking up :D

Richter Kless
09-03-2008, 14:04
Huron is okay in my opinion. But no selfrespecting Heresy-era-veteran is going to take orders from some 100 year old rooky. (never realised he was that young)

back on topic.
Some people suggested virus bombing, but Abaddon is always on some Imperial held world. So wouldn't nuking the place cause more harm than good?

I personally don't know about the influence of Grey Knights. I know their presence does harm to actual Daemons, but I personally doubt it does much to Chaos Marines.
Otherwise, wouldn't a Grey Knight undo the rubic if he came close to a Thousand Son and reduce the traitor to just an armour? Or woulnd't a Plague Marine spontanously die from the diseases if he came close to a Grey Knight?

superknijn
09-03-2008, 14:17
No, Lgufty or whatever his names is is a Renegade Lord, not one of the Legions. He's just a Pirate Chief with Hamadraya instead of a parrot. Arrrr.

Vaulkhar
09-03-2008, 14:52
Richter, the whole basis of the Exterminatus scenario in Apocalypse was the Imperium doing just that - bait Abaddon onto a world, drive off the planet killer, evacuate the brass and then exterminate the planet. I think they're balancing one world against the kind of carnage old Abbie can cause...

Feor
09-03-2008, 16:18
On Table, I bet most of the Pheonix Lords could give Abbadon a run for his money, and Jain Zar could probably serve him his head on a shiney wraithbone platter.

Commander of Custodes ok, Stern ok, Pappa smurf he isnt even famous for being a hardcore CC monster i mean there are so many more badass marines then Calgar, Dante in full black rage mode

I chose Calgar more because he's the poster boy of the Imperium. He embodies everything the Imperium is supposed to be. And after the Custodes & Stern beat Abby down with their weapons, a mighty double power fisting can only help. :p

heretics bane
09-03-2008, 16:49
Huron is okay in my opinion. But no selfrespecting Heresy-era-veteran is going to take orders from some 100 year old rooky. (never realised he was that young)

back on topic.
Some people suggested virus bombing, but Abaddon is always on some Imperial held world. So wouldn't nuking the place cause more harm than good?

I personally don't know about the influence of Grey Knights. I know their presence does harm to actual Daemons, but I personally doubt it does much to Chaos Marines.
Otherwise, wouldn't a Grey Knight undo the rubic if he came close to a Thousand Son and reduce the traitor to just an armour? Or woulnd't a Plague Marine spontanously die from the diseases if he came close to a Grey Knight?

We are talking about the imperium right? If it killed their biggest chaos threat, one world is a sacrifice the imperium make regularly.

They cause them pysical pain, they dont auto-maticly "undo" the bindings that hold the deamons to the pysical realm but they do weaken them, plague marines and Tsons are curruopted not deamons, they might find them hard to look at etc.

stormblade
09-03-2008, 17:28
Run him over with a 'Leman Russ' tank