PDA

View Full Version : 2250 Woodelf list

elvishpie
08-03-2008, 23:17
These are two lists I'm seriously considering for an upcoming tournament (as a back up in case I can't finish my high elves). Both I think have their upsides however I wanted to see which of the two lists others preferred.

List 1: Troop heavy

Spellweaver (305)
level 4
Wand of Wych Elm
Loren magic?

Spellsinger (195)
level 2
dispel scroll x 2

Wardancer Noble (140)
moon stone

Glade Guard x 10 (120)

Glade Guard x 10 (120)

Glade Guard x 10 (120)

Glade Riders x 6 (153)
musician

Glade Riders x 6(153)
musician

Wild Riders x 6 (217)
standard
Champion
warbanner

Wardancers x 10 (201)
musican
bladesinger

Wardancers x 9 (183)
musican
bladesinger

Wardancers x 9 (183)
musican
bladesinger

Waywatchers x 6 (144)

With this list I rely on my archers to soften up units before my wardancers hopefully destroy them. The caster can use lore or life if presented with heavy range (in which case I can stay back) and lore of beasts in presented with Brits or a dragon.

I believe the 5 dispel dice re-rollable, and two scrolls will be enough magic protection, and the Glade riders can be used to take out casters very effectively.

List 2: Treeman

Spellweaver (305)
level 4
Wand of Wych Elm
Loren magic?

Spellsinger (175)
level 2
dispell scroll

Noble (135) (with wardancers and near treeman)
BSB
annoyance of netlings
sword of might

Glade Guard x 10 (120)

Glade Guard x 10 (120)

Glade Riders x 5 (129)
musician

Glade Riders x 5 (129)
musician

Dryads x 8 (96)

Dryads x 8 (96)

Wild Riders x 5 (166)
standard
Champion

Wardancers x 9 (183)
musican
bladesinger

Wardancers x 9 (183)
musican
bladesinger

Waywatchers x 5 (120)

Treeman (285)

5 dispell dice 8 power dice

In this list I would use the magic to the same effect, however the Treeman would provide another tree sing which would most likely go off with the greater threat from the Spellweaver.

The main difference however is that this list would be more offensive, using dryads to take charges and position units so that the treeman can better deal with units. The BSB gives the treeman extreme durability and allows for wardancers to be used in combination attacks much more easily. However, this lacks the hitting power of 10 archers and forces the cav units down to only 5.

Which do you think would be the best? I like both however cannot decide between the shooting power and mass amounts of wardancers or the treeman rock with wardancers on either side.

dr.duck770
09-03-2008, 17:53
Try taking a treeman ancient in addition to a treeman. they both have tree singing, and you really dont need much magic support. and with the annoyance of nettlings in challanges they hit the ancient on 6s. Good for things like grail knights and blood knights.

Preacher
09-03-2008, 18:10
I find it odd that you sank 305 points in a spellweaver but didnt bother to give him any kind of protection? No ward save? I am assuming he will be hiding in the "free wood" for most of the game?

Overall the second list is a little better. I would consider dropping the units of wardancers down to 7(they are usually fine at this size) and use some of the left over points to get a ward save for your Lvl 4 and Calingors Stave for your Lvl 2. Just my .02

IronBrother
09-03-2008, 18:20
The second list is better overall. I think you should drop the 2 dispel scrolls and take Staff of Sorcery as it gives +1 dispel rolls and then you can re-roll that dispel attempt. I hope you know that your BSB may not join the wardancers, he can linger about them but cannot join them. List 2 seems to have the ability to adapt to more adverse situations faster ( a lot faster).

elvishpie
09-03-2008, 20:50
If I recall there is no rule preventing a BSB from joining wardancers because of the fact that they arn't forest spirits.

As for the spellweaver he runs in a wardancer or archer unit. If moved right its not hard to hide a single model. As for equipment none of the ward waves are all that good, the best being a 4+ for 30 points which I may consider. However, for the spellsinger the scroll is significantly better than a staff. Even though I could re-roll with +1, it doesn't mean I can avoid those most important spells. The scroll is reliable enough to make it worth while alone.

Given the input I think I'll go with the second list. It does seem a little better.

elvishpie
09-03-2008, 21:00
Final list I've decided on
List 2: Treeman

Spellweaver (335)
level 4
Wand of Wych Elm
glamourweave

Spellsinger (150)
level 2
dispel scroll

BSB
annoyance of netlings
sword of might

Glade Guard x 10 (120)

Glade Guard x 10 (120)

Glade Riders x 6 (153)
musician

Glade Riders x 6 (153)
musician

Dryads x 8 (96)

Dryads x 8 (96)

Wild Riders x 5 (166)
standard
Champion

Wardancers x 8 (165)
musican
bladesinger

Wardancers x 7 (147)
musican
bladesinger

Waywatchers x 5 (120)

Treeman (285)

Preacher
09-03-2008, 23:18
Its looking good Elvishpie

You could use the Stone of Crystal Mere instead of the Glamourweave, but if you fail it then its gone. So the weave might be a little safer. But your Spellsinger hopefully wont ever have to use it at all.

Vascariz
10-03-2008, 01:05
What would you take out of that list if you wanted to add a treeman ancient (as previously suggested) and an eternal guard?

elvishpie
10-03-2008, 02:37
I don't like the ancient really. Hes cool with the annoyance, but it creates a lack of magic protection, and hes a hard model to hide from fireballs (which everyone would take if they see it). The eternal guard I feel similarly about. A lot of points for nothing that special. Taking them together, the treeman and eternal isn't a good combination, as the eternal won't have stubborn. I prefer the more fluid and dispersed method.

matthew_swifty
10-03-2008, 21:51
I'm not convinced about the BSB, you seem to be going for a MSU style army and the BSB gives away a lot of points if you lose it.

I think an Alter Noble with the Helm of the Hunt, Helm of Doom Arrow, GW, LA and S.

That guy kicks ass.

xragg
10-03-2008, 22:15
I dont see how your lord is 335pnts. I keep getting 325pnts for it, and thats not including the mount you have to ride to be glamourweave.

Vascariz
10-03-2008, 22:42
Do you mind if I use that final list as a basis for my army as I am new to fantasy?
I'll edit it a bit to allow for a Tree Ancient instead of Spellweaver. I'll probs start a new thread looking for advice as I'll be going for a 2.5k army not 2.25k!

elvishpie
10-03-2008, 23:00
I dont see how your lord is 335pnts. I keep getting 325pnts for it, and thats not including the mount you have to ride to be glamourweave.

It comes out to 335, I won't list out the points here but the glamourweave item (which I think you confusing with kindred) does not require a mount, at least it doesn't say that in my army book.

Do you mind if I use that final list as a basis for my army as I am new to fantasy?
I'll edit it a bit to allow for a Tree Ancient instead of Spellweaver. I'll probs start a new thread looking for advice as I'll be going for a 2.5k army not 2.25k!

Feel free to use it =) always glad to be of some help.

I'm not convinced about the BSB, you seem to be going for a MSU style army and the BSB gives away a lot of points if you lose it.

Well the primary reason for the BSB is for the treeman. However, I also tend to find that my wardancers lose combat by only one for two when fighting a full ranked unit, in which case the BSB will hopefully make them hold. Likewise goes for the treeman. I can never seem to roll well with the 8 ld, so if I can re-roll it I can be sure to keep a unit where I want it and charge with the fast cav. But I do like the alterkin... Maybe I should add him regardless and lose the wild riders... (they never seem to work out that well for me). Hummm...

IronBrother
10-03-2008, 23:06
Actually if you look at the Glamourweave option, it says that you must mount the character on either an elven steed or a unicorn, the mount is not optional.

Treadhead_1st
10-03-2008, 23:10
He did just specify it's item, not Kindred (so no mount needed) - only taking Glamourweave Kindred requires the Mage to be mounted (stupid GW for creating 2 things with the same name!)

elvishpie
10-03-2008, 23:13
Final draft, going to be used next weekend =)

Spellweaver (335)
level 4
Wand of Wych Elm
glamourweave

Spellsinger (175)
level 2
dispel scroll x2

BSB
annoyance of netlings
sword of might

Alter Noble (158)
gw, la, s
hail of doom arrow
helm of the hunt

Glade Guard x 10 (120)

Glade Guard x 10 (120)

Glade Riders x 5 (129)
musician

Glade Riders x 5 (129)
musician

Dryads x 8 (96)

Dryads x 8 (96)

Wardancers x 8 (165)
musican
bladesinger

Wardancers x 8 (165)
musican
bladesinger

Waywatchers x 5 (120)

Treeman (285)

Vascariz
10-03-2008, 23:23
I guess I'll ask you as you are most familiar with your final list:) (I like the addition of the Alter Noble!)
What changes would you suggest if I replaced your Sepllweaver with a Treeman Ancient?

elvishpie
10-03-2008, 23:49
Vascaris, I would probably lose the alter noble for a branchwraith, lv 1, with cluster. The Ancient list's biggest problem is often magic. You can give the ancient the cluster as well and use a second spellsinger to provide the 5th dispel dice, and possible a 3rd scroll. I would also lose some wardancers for two more squads of dryads. Wardancers hit hard, but not as hard as the treeman. I use dancers to compensate for the weakness of the Spellweaver as far as actual damage goes. And seeing as how you'll be losing the waywatchers for the treeman, I'd use those points for gladeguard. Thirty archers are very effective with lots of dryads because when the dryads die you are given that turn to shoot up the squad. Two alt dice from the treemen and 30 bows can destroy a squad easy =). However, just remember that taking treeman leaves you weak again opponents that have all that stupid fire magic and cannon balls. However, with two singers and two treemen you should be able to hide behind trees. But if you listen to anything I say at least keep the BSB, he will make both treemen a bitch to kill off. If they can stay in combat and keep the opponent from breaking them they will last till the end of the game and thats like 800 points your enemy can't get.

I should have used paragraphs but oh well...

Vascariz
10-03-2008, 23:56
Vascaris, I would probably lose the alter noble for a branchwraith, lv 1, with cluster.You can give the ancient the cluster as well and use a second spellsinger to provide the 5th dispel dice, and possible a 3rd scroll.
Sounds awesome to me!

I would also lose some wardancers for two more squads of dryads.

Sounds good too! Are branchnymphs and use?

And seeing as how you'll be losing the waywatchers for the treeman, I'd use those points for gladeguard.

Huh I have to lose the waywatchers? But I want to keep them as they are good looking models!

But if you listen to anything I say at least keep the BSB, he will make both treemen a bitch to kill off.

Definitely will do!

xragg
11-03-2008, 00:00
It comes out to 335, I won't list out the points here but the glamourweave item (which I think you confusing with kindred) does not require a mount, at least it doesn't say that in my army book.

Ya, I forgot there was a magic item with the same name.

I like the overall build of your list. I am looking to pump up my wood elves for GT this fall (tired of my skaven for now) and was looking to see what other WE players were doing. I am not sold on the BSB either, but I will definately playtest it some cause its not a bad idea either.

xragg
11-03-2008, 00:02
vascariz, a treeman ancient takes one of your rare slots. So if you keep the first treeman, and then add an ancient, you have no room for the waywatchers. Thats what he meant.

Vascariz
11-03-2008, 00:09
I thought the treeman ancient takes a Lord spot so would replace the Sepllweaver?

elvishpie
11-03-2008, 00:10
It takes a rare and lord.

Vascariz
11-03-2008, 00:18
Treeman Ancient versus Waywatchers and Spellweaver... ugh... >.< just so hard to choose!

xragg
11-03-2008, 01:12
Here is my go of a list using a few changes to tailor my playstyle, since the one listed here was so close to the one I was considering anyway. Its not a whole lot different, hopefully great minds think alike.

Characters 766
305 Spellweaver, level 4, Wand of the Wych Elm
175 Spellsinger, level 2, dispelx2
156 Altered Noble, great weapon, light armor, Hail of Doom Arrow, Helm of the Hunt
130 Wardancer Noble, Murder of Spites

Core 876
153 6xGlade Riders, musician
153 6xGlade Riders, musician
129 5xGlade Riders, musician
129 5xGlade Riders, musician
120 10xGlade Guard
96 8xDryads
96 8xDryads

Special 323
165 8xWardancers, bladesinger, musician
158 8xWardancers, bladesinger

Rare 285
285 Treeman

Vascariz
11-03-2008, 01:46
Ignore this

elvishpie
11-03-2008, 03:36
I like it. I think it will preform well with all of the counter charge possibilities =). Lemme know how it goes for you (as I have 24 glade riders I kinda want to use)

Jericho
11-03-2008, 05:56
Call me crazy, but I'm not a huge fan of Glade Riders. Wild Riders seem to offer a lot more usefulness, with their ward saves, magic resistance etc. But that could just be me! Anyway, I'm not sold on Murder of Spites for the Wardancer character. Netlings are great for challenges, you can stay alive long enough to KB any nasty characters. Blades of Loec are another great option since you can do trememdous damage with it.

Also, I think not having the musician on the second Wardancer regiment is a bad idea. Just Sunday keeping the musician alive over the unit champ meant all the difference in the world. My wounded character and the musician won a tied combat against a much bigger unit of archers, and they would have been toast if I hadn't broken the archers that turn. Extra attacks are nice, but not having a musician is asking for trouble.

popisdead
14-03-2008, 17:36
Don't bother with Champions in Wardancer or Wildrider units unless you have a character you don't want people to challenge. Since you have a hero that has annoyance, drop the champ. That unit need only be 7 or 8 with a musician also. larger units of wardancers does nothing but waste pts.

Never miss out the opportunity to take a great eagle. Best tactical unit in the army.

On the whole you're lists look good, best of luck!