PDA

View Full Version : Arise my minions! 2250pts

Zardoz
09-03-2008, 01:34
Ok, getting back into fantasy (dropped when 7th came out...getting back because the designers are on crack and messing up 40k) and note that the new VC book finally fits me.

Heros:
Vampire Lord lvl3 (lvl4)
Skull Staff, Night Shroud, Sword of Battle.
Master of the Black Arts, Dark Acolyte, Lord of the Dead
450pts.

While no decent saves, the shroud should slow opposing HtoH down so I can bash on them. Maybe issuing challenges to prevent being harmed too much.
With 6 power dice and casing Invocation on a 2+, I'll eat a lot of the enemy dispell dice up fast or raise a ton of skeletons to boost my units.
This guy leads the large unit of skeletons.

Vampire (lvl2)
Flayed Haubrek, Biting Blade, Power Stone
Dark Acolyte, Summong Ghouls
200pts.

This guy goes with the large ghoul unit and tries to do what the lord does for them. Also adding some muscle to the unit in HtoH.

Vampire (lvl1)
Armor of Night, Striking Sword, Talisman of Lycni
Supernatural Horror, Ghoul Kin
195pts.

Initially he also goes with the large ghoul unit also. Allowing the ghouls (and characters) to surge forward pre game. He'll then go on a rampage attacking out of the unit against small units and war machines with his fast pace, terror and being hard to hit with missile fire, (-3 total), I hope he survives long enough to do his duty. As he does this, the ghoul packs seek to flank.

Vampire (lvl2) Nightmare
Book of Arkhan, Sword of Might
Dark Acolyte, Avatar of Death
208pts.

He'll go with the Black Knights. I'm a little skeptical about this as he'll remove their spectral move...and that could prove problematic. But, I could just attach him later or remove him to some place else if that seems more strategic. But, still, the temptation to make him more specialized exists.

Personally, with over 1,000 pts in heros, well...it's vampires, combat and magic heavy. Still, a lot and the lack of decent protection on the Lord is worrisome.

Core:
23 Crypt Chouls with Ghast
192pts.

10 Crypt Chouls with Ghast
88pts

24 Skeletons (HW) Champion and Banner
Banner of Endless Nightmare
233pts

10 Skeletons (HW) Champion and Banner
96pts

5 Dire Wolves
40pts

50 Dire Wolves
40pts

Special:
9 Black Knights with Full Command
Banner of the Dead Legion
281pts

Rare:
Varghulf
175pts

1 Carin Wraith
50pts

2248pts total.

The Skeletons form the anvil to be boosted by the Lord.
The Bkack Knights go on one flank with the Varghulf escourted by the Dire Wolves.
The lone wraith seeks to protect the other flank where the ghouls surge from. Being in a pocket and causing terror may slow any enemy that breaks through there down and offer him some protection. I have thought about ditching him for 2 more Black Knights and a musician to the large skeleton unit though.
As said, the ghouls take the other flank.
Standard pincer w/ hammer and anvil approach.
3 Terror causers...a little over the top as is 13 power dice a turn...especially when I'll most likely be tossing only 1 die per attempt at a spell (limits miscasts and eats up the limited dispell dice most opponents have).

Any tips, advice or simple comments?
So far the best I could think of would be to replace the Lords armor and weapon with Crown of the Damned and hope to pass the easy stupidity checks...but, a failure would suck badly.

the eater of pie
10-03-2008, 18:26
just one thing, im afraid you cant cast invocation on 2+.

(page 107 of BFSP rulebook): "...he cannot cast a spell where the total of the dice is less than 3. a result of a 1 or 2 is always considered a failure, despite any modifiers."

sorry. ^^

cheers,
the eater of pie

Malorian
10-03-2008, 18:31
I think those core units are a bit bit. Most people go with units of 10-15 and then just raise them.

Why pay points to buy them when you can raise them for free ; )

Cairn wraiths also have a min size of 3 models.

IronBrother
10-03-2008, 18:57
That ghoulkin guy with the talisman of the Lynci, I am going to be taking that. Sorry but I can not resist, I am going to try it tomorrow. I understand the reasoning behind the big block of skeletons, but why the huge block of ghouls, you can summon them.

Jack of Blades
10-03-2008, 19:28
You know the guy riding with the BK? turn him into a Wight King. Just a Sword of Kings as well as making him a BSB will do, in addition to his barded steed of course. You can add an Enchanted Shield if you feel like it. After that, I'd find a way of sneaking in the Helm of Commandment into your list, and use it together with the Banner of the Barrows on this unit.

You're right in that big blocks of Ghouls are kinda bad. Not bad, but awkward. Ghouls work better in 12-14 imo.

Xavier
10-03-2008, 19:30
Also, Cairn Wraith's minimum unit size is 3.