PDA

View Full Version : Steggadon power unit?

Conotor
09-03-2008, 13:31
Im wondering if this would be a good unit in southland:
1 Chief on a steggadon joining 15 skink cohort.

The skinks would go 3 wide, provide the stegg with rank bonus.

I think it could work, but wouldn't be too much of a game winner. I want to try it though..

Cragspyder
09-03-2008, 14:25
I am making a Southlands list too, however Skink Cohorts are extremely bad value for points unfortunately :( The only neat part is their 6'' movement, so I might mark them Huanchi and send a unit of 20 through the trees (and water thanks to them being Skinks!).

As to your idea, Stegadons cannot join units.

Always wanted to try the Skink Chief on the Steggie though.

Red_Lep
09-03-2008, 14:32
I am making a Southlands list too, however Skink Cohorts are extremely bad value for points unfortunately :( The only neat part is their 6'' movement, so I might mark them Huanchi and send a unit of 20 through the trees (and water thanks to them being Skinks!).

As to your idea, Stegadons cannot join units.

Always wanted to try the Skink Chief on the Steggie though.

Actually, if I remember right since the Steggadon isn't a flying monster it can join units. I remember reading that on a thread awhile back about one joining a unit of Kroxigors and it was generally agreed that it could.

Cragspyder
09-03-2008, 14:55
Well, that is frankly ridiculous if they can :) I don't have my BRB on me right now but I think there is a provision in there somewhere that prohibits it.

How come you don't see O + G getting single Trolls to join a unit of Orcs to benefit from the Orcy leadership for Stupidity and adding some serious hitting power to the front rank?

Or Tomb Scorpions joining Skeleton Warrior blocks for the extra hitting power again.

Or Slave Giants joining Ogre Bulls.... etc.

Conotor
09-03-2008, 16:34
Stegadons cannot join units.

Heroes can join units. A skink chief on a steggadon is still a hero, therefore he can join units.

Cragspyder
09-03-2008, 17:11
Well, go figure. Looks like Conotor is right.

Page 58 of the BRB on Monsters say that "Monsters cannot join units, unless they are ridden by a Character".

So I guess your idea is workable as long as it is ridden by a Chief. Seems like some sort of blind spot in the rules to me, but well played nonetheless.

However, I still don't think it would be terribly effective, since A) the Stegadon will lose the use of Stubborn and B) Skink Cohorts are really very bad and the Stegadon would likely be more useful on its own. Once again I am going to take Cohorts but I expect them to be brutally slaughtered every game with no gain to myself.