PDA

View Full Version : Empire, 2000points, all-round play & take all-comers

Treadhead_1st
09-03-2008, 17:54
I've not been playing Empire long, but have kept an eye on various tacticas and so forth, and I'm considering this as an army to really get into the game with.

What do you think of this army - and how should I improve it/round off points?

Many thanks for any hints/suggestions you can put forth - still getting to grips with the Empire, and wondering if I'm on the right track.

Thematically, I'm aiming at an army that contains heavy Sigmarite influence, but isn't a sigmarite army - it's the army of a noble Count of Weissland/Border Princes who is fairly pious, but pays respect (in military considerations) to the colleges of Magic and Nuln (engineering) to further his political aims.

My Regiments will therefore be either in Weissland or DIY colours, my Handgunners will probably be in Green (throwback reference to Sharpe), and the Knights will be from one of the following: Knights of Sigmar's Blood, Order of the Gold Lion or Knights Panther - whatever I find fits my theme best, once details are worked out.

Lords

Wizard Lord: Level 4, Hand Weapon, Armour of Tarnus, Dispel Scroll, Wizard's Staff & Orb of Thunder.
310 (Army General, joins Swordsmen)

Heroes

Captain of the Empire: Hammer of Judgement, Armour of Meteoric Iron & Imperial Pegasus.
150 (works with Knightly Orders)

Warrior Priest: Great Weapon & Heavy Armour.
98 (joins Spearmen 1)

98 (joins Spearmen 2)

Core

Knightly Order 1 - 5 Knights: Preceptor.

Knightly Order 2 - 5 Knights: Preceptor.

Spearmen 1 - 24 Spearmen: Full Command.

Halberdier Detachment - 10 Halberdiers.

Crossbow Detachment - 10 Crossbowmen.

Spearmen 2 - 24 Spearmen: Full Command.

Swordsmen - 19 Swordsmen: Full Command.

Handgunners - 10 Handgunners: Marksman w/ Hochland Long Rifle.

Special

Great Cannon 1

Great Cannon 2

Rare

Flagellants - 15 Flagellants.

1947 (53 to go still)

146 Models
2 Artillery + Crew

Flagellants anchor one flank, Infantry blocks and detachments make a centre, Cannons and Handgunners hold the other flank (angled inwards), and the Knights + Captain rush up this flank.

So, is it any good? I've got lots of models, and lots of ranks, plus some shooting and magic defence, so it seems everything is there, but would appreciate suggestions from more experienced Empire players (had the book since yesterday, though have been planning the army for some while with what I gleaned from the internet...)

SevenSins
09-03-2008, 18:27
I think it looks nice (I won't comment on the equip of characters, I never get it right), I would try to squeeze in some pistoliers though, they're great.
You have a solid block with some supporting knights and artillery decent all around.
In general I think swordsmen are "vastly" (this is empire after all) superior to spearmen though :)

greendan
09-03-2008, 18:39
Hi there.
I quite like it. Looks very similar to what i use.
Although i would say maybe drop your shooting detachments down to 5? so they wont be so space consuming.
I like to use free company as detachments personally, i think twice as many attacks per man works well. And usually in detachments of 8.
I think you could definately use some pistoliers in there for baiting and harassing.
And i think the ARch lector on war alter is just too good not to use.

nub5
09-03-2008, 22:46
I've not been playing Empire long, but have kept an eye on various tacticas and so forth, and I'm considering this as an army to really get into the game with.

What do you think of this army - and how should I improve it/round off points?

Many thanks for any hints/suggestions you can put forth - still getting to grips with the Empire, and wondering if I'm on the right track.

Thematically, I'm aiming at an army that contains heavy Sigmarite influence, but isn't a sigmarite army - it's the army of a noble Count of Weissland/Border Princes who is fairly pious, but pays respect (in military considerations) to the colleges of Magic and Nuln (engineering) to further his political aims.

My Regiments will therefore be either in Weissland or DIY colours, my Handgunners will probably be in Green (throwback reference to Sharpe), and the Knights will be from one of the following: Knights of Sigmar's Blood, Order of the Gold Lion or Knights Panther - whatever I find fits my theme best, once details are worked out.

Really if you want a heavy influenced sigmarite army, dont' have it lead by a wizard lord, make it an Arch-lector instead. If still want the magic, look at going w/ 2 level wizards and rod of power. If you looking at magic defense, AL + WP + 1 lvl one provides 4 - 7 DD dice depending if yo have the rod of power. So that give you anywhere from 6 - 9 DD.

Lords

Wizard Lord: Level 4, Hand Weapon, Armour of Tarnus, Dispel Scroll, Wizard's Staff & Orb of Thunder.
310 (Army General, joins Swordsmen)

I think the level 4 wizard throwin 5 dice is enough to cast a spell. I see no reason to waste 15 points to give him another 1 dice to roll with. Likewise he is 310 points right now and it would be horrible to die from a miscast. Think of adding a luckstone to the wizard. Please note you sticking w/ a Ldr 8 army with the wizard lord. So having flagellants and greatswords is key to mitigate the ldr 8. Most people who take a wizard lord are going heavy magic and have 2 wizard heros to provide back up along w/ some nice bound items.

Heroes

Captain of the Empire: Hammer of Judgement, Armour of Meteoric Iron & Imperial Pegasus.

98 (joins Spearmen 1)

98 (joins Spearmen 2)

Captain: A lance does S6 hits on the charge and is cheap. So is going w/ FPA and Enchanted Shield over AOMI. This also saves on your magic allotment so you can give him the Casket of Sorcery or Doomfire Ring which are both great items for him.

Warrior Priest: Give the AOMI to one of these guys, and if you still want the Orb of Thunder, give it to the other one.

Core

Knightly Order 1 - 5 Knights: Preceptor.

Knightly Order 2 - 5 Knights: Preceptor.

Okay, just drop the Swordsmen. 19 w/ no detachment is just wasting points for you. Use those point to buff up other areas.

You have good shooting. So I would recommend you look at Outriders w/ Champ + Hochland. You will get 12 shots as good as a normal handgunner, 360 lines of sight for shooter, and good mobility in case you need it. Also the Outrider champ has BS 5 over the BS4 Handgunner. Better odds to hit. Cast the WP spell on him to reroll hits and wounds and you got yourself a scary individiual.

Special

Talk about the Outriders. Also think about the pistoliers comment as an alternative. You have two units of Knights and they work great in conjunction w/ the pistoliers.

Great Cannon 1

Great Cannon 2

No Comment here.

Rare

Uhm you do know that these can be considered Core troops because you have WP.

1947 (53 to go still)

146 Models
2 Artillery + Crew

Flagellants anchor one flank, Infantry blocks and detachments make a centre, Cannons and Handgunners hold the other flank (angled inwards), and the Knights + Captain rush up this flank.

So, is it any good? I've got lots of models, and lots of ranks, plus some shooting and magic defence, so it seems everything is there, but would appreciate suggestions from more experienced Empire players (had the book since yesterday, though have been planning the army for some while with what I gleaned from the internet...)

Treadhead_1st
09-03-2008, 23:20
I realised I hadn't included the stand-alone Handgunners in the total cost of the last force...

That's where the extra points have gone, such as there were.

Updated list:

Lords

Wizard Lord: Level 4, Hand Weapon, Armour of Tarnus, Dispel Scroll & Rod of Power
300 (Army General, joins Swordsmen)

Heroes

98 (joins Spearmen 1)

98 (joins Spearmen 2)

Core

Knightly Order 1 - 5 Knights: Musician

Knightly Order 2 - 5 Knights: Musician

Halberdier Detachment - 9 Halberdiers.

Crossbow Detachment - 9 Crossbowmen.

Halberdier Detachment - 9 Halberdiers.

Crossbow Detachment - 9 Crossbowmen.

Special

Great Cannon 1

Great Cannon 2

Rare

136 Models
2 Artillery + Crew

I had some advice to take smaller detachments to go 3x3 (I thought all units had to be 5 wide? If this is the case will go 5x4 - they aren't there for the rank anyway)

@Nub5 - the reason for there being 2 Priests is the army is featuring an "untrustworthy" (in their eyes) Wizard - they're there to keep an eye on him!

Will switch AoMI on the Captain for Plate, Enchanted Shield. Then loose 6 Crossbowmen (3 from each unit). This allows me to take AoMI on a Priest (with Greatweapon), and give the other Priest Hand Weapon, Shield and Dawn Armour - sound good? Only issue is that the Crossbowmen are now a mighty 6 strong...

Swordsmen are there so that the Wizard has somewhere to hide, and hopefully by being in the center of the battleline they won't need Detachments - the flanking "parent" blocks will function as detachments per se. Its risky, but not sure what else to do, and how to keep the wizard safe - I guess I could swap them for 14 Greatswords (who would be nekkid, no Command or anything, I'm so short of points) - the few extra ranks & standard seem to tip in the Swordsmen in favour, to me - but what do you think?

Instead of loosing 2 Xbowmen, I could loose the Champ + HLR - I was planning to use this to take out Standard Bearers, Unit Champions etc on enemy the Knights/Captain are taking on to make things easier for them - what do you reckon?

Outriders sound tempting, but they do cost a bit more, and suffer from Multiple-Shot, thus undoing the higher BS - or am I wrong, and they will actually prove more useful?

I guess I could take Pistolliers instead, and use them to harass & pepper units in the manner I would with the Handgunners. I just worry that it's almost not an Empire army without some Handgunners :p (I can justify both units though - handgunners = from Nuln, with the Cannon, Pistolliers = trainee Knights for the Orders.)

I know Flaggies CAN be core, thanks to the WP...just fancied having something in the rare slots :rolleyes:

Cheers for the help, its giving me lots to think about.