PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed page tearing on PS3

Norminator
09-03-2008, 22:41
Tearing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tearing) for those who don't know.

I'm getting this a lot on Assassin's Creed at the moment on my PS3, pretty much whenever I move the camera, and it's quite noticeable (not game ruining noticeable, but annoying). Is this just a problem with the game, or are there some settings I need to adjust?

I'm running it on a 720p TV with 720p output, and IIRC the TV is 100 Hz. Are there some settings on the actual console relating to refresh rate?

dr.oetk3r
09-03-2008, 23:44
Wow, i thought the Ps3 was well beyond that kind of problem.

Sorry man, i don't know why it would do that :/

Inquisitor Engel
10-03-2008, 05:18
What TV is it?

Also, the game only runs at 60hz, if you're lucky.

Tearing nowadays is more of a problem with the TV than the console.

god octo
10-03-2008, 16:12
Have you downloaded the latest patch for the PS3? I know that the port to PS3 wasn't brilliant, and it will also fix the chance that the game will crash randomly.

Norminator
10-03-2008, 17:52
Have you downloaded the latest patch for the PS3? I know that the port to PS3 wasn't brilliant, and it will also fix the chance that the game will crash randomly.

I think (can't remember to be truthful) that it auto downloaded something when I first played it - do I have to manually download a patch instead?

I think this is the model of TV I've got: http://www.johnlewis.com/230425072/Product.aspx

Inquisitor Engel
11-03-2008, 00:00
That's actually a really nice TV, and it runs at 120hz.

It takes two frames at 60fps and interpolates the middle, displaying all three (and uses 5:5 pulldown for 24pfs sources, but there aren't at 720p24 sources out there, only 1080p24) which is where you get the smooth motion.

If there's an OPTION to turn off something called "motion-enhancer" or "smoother motion" or something like, do it, but just for the input the PS3 is using (should be HDMI!). Panasonic TV's in the US retain settings per-input, not for the whole set.

Norminator
11-03-2008, 17:33
That's actually a really nice TV, and it runs at 120hz.

It takes two frames at 60fps and interpolates the middle, displaying all three (and uses 5:5 pulldown for 24pfs sources, but there aren't at 720p24 sources out there, only 1080p24) which is where you get the smooth motion.

If there's an OPTION to turn off something called "motion-enhancer" or "smoother motion" or something like, do it, but just for the input the PS3 is using (should be HDMI!). Panasonic TV's in the US retain settings per-input, not for the whole set.

Cheers for that Engel, I'll have a look through the TV settings. Is that likely to cause tearing?

Captain Uriel
12-03-2008, 10:29
I've never had that problem on the 360. Then again I have a new 42" LCD tv and that probably has something to do with it. My friends tell me I have an advantage over them due to my TV. Looking in the TV settings is probably good. I know mine was a B***H to hook up and get working. If that doesn't work make sure that the jack through which your PS3 is connected to your TV is not damaged. I had one of those break on me once, it took the whole TV with it.

Inquisitor Engel
12-03-2008, 16:08
Is that likely to cause tearing?

Yep. The 120hz processing is still VERY new (think 1080p three years ago!) so it's not perfect and it probably never will be. The Sony XBR4 Series (X3500 in Europe IIRC, the ones with the glass around the edge) is notorious for some serial number ranges and mfd dates having terrible tearing.

I have the 46XBR4 and it's not got it, but I suppose I got lucky.

The Samsung 71 and 69 Series though... don't even get me started...

Norminator
16-03-2008, 12:33
Well, I can't seem to find any option remotely like the one you describe on the TV menu settings. Do you know of any settings on the PS3 that can have the same effect?

A bit of searching seems to have thrown up others with similar problems, but from what you say it seems there is the possibility of fixing it.

It would help if Sony actually explained what all the system settings do - half of the PS3 ones I don't know what I am changing at all :rolleyes:

Edit: This video of the 360 version is exactly the problem I'm having, so it evidently isn't confined to just the PS3.

http://xboxmovies.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/5673/Horse-and-Kingdom/