PDA

View Full Version : Why use Detachments 3x3?

Peegore
09-03-2008, 23:54
I've seen several comments on using Empire detachments 3x3, but can't seem to find a thread explaining the tactical reasons for doing so.

If someone could enlighten me, I'd be grateful. Not 'payment-in-kind' grateful I might add...

Makaber
09-03-2008, 23:56
I've seen halberdiers work very well that way. The idea is to get quite a bit of Unit Strength into a small package, for negating ranks. They don't need ranks themselves because the mother regiment provides them, and the small frontage means they get less attacks in return so its tricky to get them down to less than US5. It's a pretty elegant solution really.

Peegore
10-03-2008, 00:00
Cheers Makaber. that makes quite a lot of sense.

sulla
10-03-2008, 01:48
Basically, against many opponents, empire detachments are a bit of a liability in combat, you are trying to minimise the number of troopers in combat while still getting full benefit (namely, cancelling enemy ranks, getting a flank bonus) out of your detachment. the 3 wide rank is mainly to make them more manouverable, filling in between friendly units easier and having a narrow wheel arc too.

Numbers wise, you could even go as low as 3*2 but then the enemy would only have to kill 2 to negate all the advantages they provide so anywhere between 7 and 9 in a 3-wide front rank detachment is the most economical use of detachments IMO.

captaincortez
10-03-2008, 04:23
The small size makes it difficult for the enemy to charge them when they are between big blocks. They usually have no choice but to charge the parent unit and get flanked.

showmydog
10-03-2008, 09:07
ive also run units of 8-10 that are two wide. the compactness is definitely the coolest bit, and they dont seem as intimidating with a frontage of 2. only 3 attacks (or six with FC) so they live longer.
with chunkier empire lines a smaller unit has less chance of 'bouncing' through units while fleeing and ending up of the table.

Knighta
11-03-2008, 05:58
the compactness is definitely the coolest bit, and they dont seem as intimidating with a frontage of 2. only 3 attacks (or six with FC) so they live longer.

Err, detechments cant get command :P

Highborn
11-03-2008, 06:43
The small size makes it difficult for the enemy to charge them when they are between big blocks. They usually have no choice but to charge the parent unit and get flanked.

That's my reasoning. You need to be able to wheel to get into combat without hitting your own units, so 2 wide frontages are out. 2 wide and 4 deep can't wheel through narrow spaces, and through wide spaces they risk taking the charge instead of the parent unit. 3x3 is an elegant solution that needs less than 4" between parent units to be able to wheel. With at most 5 enemies in combat, they need to be really lucky to kill the 5 needed to reduce your flanking unit to less than US5.

Oh, and Kngihta: Full Command doesn't add 3 attacks anyway. You'll find the guy you're replying to is referring to Free Company :D

Knighta
11-03-2008, 09:45
errr.... yeah i er.... knew that...

Na thanks for that, just stating that they couldnt get command, thats all :D