PDA

View Full Version : Official Tournaments and WYSIWYG?

DSwede
10-03-2008, 21:40
I had a question for folks that has been to one of the official tournaments, like Grand Tournament etc. How strict are they on the WYSIWYG rule?

For example, say I have a squad of Harlequins all armed with the Harlequin's Kiss but only two of the models actually have that weapon on them. Would that be a violation where I'd have to change my army list to resemble the models?

DSwede
10-03-2008, 23:15
No one knows? :(

I mainly want to know if I should start converting my harlequins before I finish painting all of them. To me it seems a bit silly since the kisses are almost standard equipment and it's not like say half of them have it (in the army list) but only 2 of the models have them. Then I could see a problem since it would be hard to remember which has them and which doesn't.

the1stpip
10-03-2008, 23:15
Officially, I don't know, but I would say yes, you would have to change your list.

Thje reason I am saying this, is because Wyches with Wych weapons, it says in the codesx, they don't all have to be so armed, just some of them.

BloodAngelLH
11-03-2008, 01:05
I would say yes, since it's not standard equipment and assumed to be on all of them.

But like any WYSIWYG questions, best thing to do is ask the tournament organizers.

Captain Uriel
11-03-2008, 01:29
The WYSIWYG rules change from tournament to tournament. I'd say your best bet is to strictly adhere to the rule that way your army is always tournament legal.

Mad King George
11-03-2008, 01:32
i hate that i have to buy more kisses then

Captain Uriel
11-03-2008, 01:37
Custome make the kisses. Just use some brass rod, green stuff and plasticard.

DSwede
11-03-2008, 03:38
Still, really annoying. Wish they'd make a plastic set of Harlies with some options for weapons. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone not using Kiss' across the board (I think at least?) so to have to sit and scratch build my own is a little annoying. Thanks for all the answers though guys.

Mythrider
11-03-2008, 05:16
On topic, yes to be WYSIWYG each model must have a Kiss. As others have said check with the tourney organizer but this will be the ruling from 99.9% of them, at least in my area.

Off topic, GW knows you want to run all Kisses, by packing the Harlie box set without enough Kisses they make more money. Look on the bright side 6 Harlies with Kisses (3 blisters) will run you $48 in Canada, the box set is $45, so no big deal.

Certain other kits are brutal when considering what comes in the box vs. what you actually want to use (Marine Devastators come to mind the box being $50 vs. $68 for blisters). Thankfully Marine bits are readily available through friends/online.

Rick_1138
11-03-2008, 12:25
TBH i have been to about 5 tournaments and WYSIWYG is really to stop people taking the pee.

As long as all the models are halequins i.e. GW models. and you have stated in your army list this is so, then you should be within the rules of the game, howveer, you will get some anally retentive little so and so's sometimes, and if they say it has to come off the table, it has to come off, and your game is over.

As most have said ask your tournament organiser, as they will be able to tell you exactly what is okay\not okay. Basically just explain your situation and see what they say, most of them are usually okay with it.

Archangel_Ruined
11-03-2008, 13:09
I concur. As long as they're all harlies and you tell your opponent that they're all bad ass muthas with the kiss, it wouldn't cause a problem in my experience. WYSIWYG is there to stop free loading moochers and mickey takers, and I'd rather see a lovely, varied painted harlequin squad than the same two models repeated for the sake of the letter of the law. I think most players who value the modelling and painting aspect of the hobby would agree, as it isn't like you're gaining some terrible advantage for free.

DSwede
11-03-2008, 16:10
I concur. As long as they're all harlies and you tell your opponent that they're all bad ass muthas with the kiss, it wouldn't cause a problem in my experience. WYSIWYG is there to stop free loading moochers and mickey takers, and I'd rather see a lovely, varied painted harlequin squad than the same two models repeated for the sake of the letter of the law. I think most players who value the modelling and painting aspect of the hobby would agree, as it isn't like you're gaining some terrible advantage for free.

Agreed. That's why I didn't want to buy the blisters. And yeah I could convert them but I couldn't make them look as good as the normal ones so I'd have to make my models look crappier to stay within the "rules".

I guess what I'll do is bring two army lists, one with the harlequins switched out for something else, in case someone doesn't let me field them.

Thanks again all.

Rick_1138
11-03-2008, 16:31
the only people who can stop you fielding something is the referees, a player cannot disagree with a refs decision, i must strenuate that point as i lost a game once because of a persons interpretation of a librarian psychic power and its use in the shooting phase, but the rules state specifically that you pick a table edge, but as he was part of a squadm, the guy said the librarian had to shoot the squad not the table edge.

Unfortunately the ref agreed with him, even though it was in black and white aying the opposite, but anyway......check with a ref first, then play games, as if it is said to be okay, no one can disagree even another ref. i.e. your opponent is mates with one of the refs, he will ask him, i guarantee it, its crappy, but it happens.

MrBigMr
11-03-2008, 16:48
Like all have said so far, ask the organizer.

I have never been to "official tournaments" (don't even know if there are any around here), but all the ones I have been to, wouldn't mind so much. WYSIWYG rules alter from tournament to tournament. In one tournament it was anal up to "this guy doesn't look like a champion, -1 WYSYWYG point". Me and my friend are organizing a WHFB tournament and we have a sort of 10% margin of error in our paint/wysiwyg judging (so if a unit is suppose to have spears, but one or two guys don't have them, we'll let it slide) and even then you don't need a pro painted army of pure awesomenes to get the full 10pts.

Umm... So, back to topic, ask the organizer. Better than going just to get thrown out (heard it happen before).

toymaker
11-03-2008, 16:52
This is why I'm making sure my models are good to go. My only concern is I converted my predator annihilator into what I call a bilethrower. So it's sorta looks like a baby plaguereaper. Will that slide or would someone say no go and it has to be a destructor?

MrBigMr
11-03-2008, 17:05
This is why I'm making sure my models are good to go. My only concern is I converted my predator annihilator into what I call a bilethrower. So it's sorta looks like a baby plaguereaper. Will that slide or would someone say no go and it has to be a destructor?
One barrel/muzzle = Destructor
Two barrels/muzzles = Annihilator
Easy as that and no snob can argue against it. Or can, but it's not very well founded. If someone throws you out or doesn't want to play because of such, their mommy probably never loved them enough as a baby.

Jos
11-03-2008, 18:14
Easy as that and no snob can argue against it. Or can, but it's not very well founded. If someone throws you out or doesn't want to play because of such, their mommy probably never loved them enough as a baby.

Speking of such things, aren't GW hardcore badass about not using other models than GW ones (not say a scrathbuiltone, but from another company)
on Gt and the like?

MrBigMr
11-03-2008, 18:37
Speking of such things, aren't GW hardcore badass about not using other models than GW ones (not say a scrathbuiltone, but from another company) on Gt and the like?
Better than that, I've heard of people being thrown out for using OOP GW models. No BS. But it depends a little. I think the "official" wording is that 51% of the model has to be GW made, or fully scratch built. But then again I've heard of people using non-GW models in their tournaments as well.

Once again it comes down to "ask the organizer dude."

toymaker
11-03-2008, 18:42

Then I guess it falls under Destructor then . :cries: I used GS to make the 2 lascannon barrels look like one large one on a plaguereaper. Just 4 tusks instead of the 6. I have to add some tusks for the side sponses also