PDA

View Full Version : Vampires: Swords or Sorcery?

Master Kain
10-03-2008, 21:42
What, in your opinion, is he best build to use for a vampire lord - be it combat or magic orientated? Is a lvl4 wizard with master of the black arts the most useful character, or is the dreadknight/red fury combo's potential for destruction make it superior? What do you think about flying vampires, etc.? Thx for any replies:D

Malorian
10-03-2008, 21:49
It really depends on you and your style coupled with what you have in the army.

Personally I'm planning on a magic/support lord in 2000 and another combat lord in 3000. It seems like vampire counts really need to have a good core of magic to work, and the lord has the best ability to do this.

Abhorash
10-03-2008, 21:58
I like it sword and little magic or just sword with other vamps backing magic as needed :p

Your Mum Rang
10-03-2008, 23:17
In my flying circus my Lord is there to beat the eney up in CC and raise Zombie support. I go the middle route with as many protective items as possible.

Goldenwolf
10-03-2008, 23:19
You need some balance with your characters or you will be easy to beat.

Just like last edition, an all necro army was rough, but they lacked CC winners. An all CC army was rough, but could be beaten.

Frankly
11-03-2008, 11:09
All magic looks a bit safer, CC can be brought to the list with elite and rare slots. You can control your magical phase a bit more with the armybook.

Nearly(core choices) all cavalry magic heavy looks very brutal.

Magic heavy + ethriel looks mean as well.

Jack of Blades
11-03-2008, 11:17
I think it's a waste of a character slot to have them only be able to do one thing. A second unit of Black Knights is infinitely more effective than a purely combat oriented Vampire, while if you have too much magic, you may find that you have little to use the magic on.

I myself am going with an elite army. I'm talking Drakenhof with 2 units of Blood Knights. Of course, there's little room for other stuff, and I'm still trying to figure out whether I should drop the third unit of wolves, the Drakenhof-carrying Wight King and just mount my Lord on a ''Zombie'' Dragon instead of having him and the BSB be in a unit of Ghouls.

But in the end, I think I'll settle for the Drakenhof way. 4+ Ward Save coupled with Regeneration, Red Fury, Hand of Dust, Black Periapt and Flaming Sword of Rhuin from Forbidden Lore is just what I've always wanted in my lord. He's about as survivable as it gets. I could give him the Accursed Armour and a decent save, but that's just overkill :)

Anwyway, go with what you feel like. I don't really like the Horde type army. I prefer Ghouls backed up by Blood Knights, ~1 unit of Fell Bats, Dire Wolves and Vampires. With the Wight King of course... I'm a real sucker for stuff you don't see every day.

adreal
11-03-2008, 11:47
I think that walking death will be fairly popular with combat lords, but thats just my personal opinion

Cromenon
11-03-2008, 14:41
Walking death will be very popular with BSBs :)

Having a +1 in CR with a killy lord should not make any difference, he should have done the job by himself...

sainthale1988
11-03-2008, 14:52
mage of doom for me! but also helm of command so i don't waste all his combat potential. i'm having two lesser vampires for combat leading my skellies/ blood knights and a necro on a corpse cart for extra magic goodness. however i think that a more balanced aproach is still very atainable and i just want something different (had a combaty vamp for most of the last edition)

AdamSouza
12-03-2008, 00:45
I'm a big fan of magic oriented vamps. Of course, I like to summon, summon, summon, and summon some more, so I may be a little biased.

But like has already suggested, 2 hero level vamps kitted out for combat, with a lod and hero kitted out for summoning is probabley how I will go

therisnosaurus
12-03-2008, 01:05
I'm planning a 4000 point tourney list with a friend that has 3 magic oriented vampire lords (6pd and ghoul summon each) the ability to cast invocation over 18 times a turn with a +1, effectively meaning we cast on a 3+ and they get -1 to dispel, with no chance of miscast, backed up by corpsecart bounds, hero carried bounds AND thrall and necro magic is pretty obscene. It'll scare the willies out of scroll caddy armies, scrolls don't help much against that sort of magic, only lots of DD.

NecroNurgle
12-03-2008, 01:10
I think it's a waste of a character slot to have them only be able to do one thing. A second unit of Black Knights is infinitely more effective than a purely combat oriented Vampire, while if you have too much magic, you may find that you have little to use the magic on.

I myself am going with an elite army. I'm talking Drakenhof with 2 units of Blood Knights. Of course, there's little room for other stuff, and I'm still trying to figure out whether I should drop the third unit of wolves, the Drakenhof-carrying Wight King and just mount my Lord on a ''Zombie'' Dragon instead of having him and the BSB be in a unit of Ghouls.

But in the end, I think I'll settle for the Drakenhof way. 4+ Ward Save coupled with Regeneration, Red Fury, Hand of Dust, Black Periapt and Flaming Sword of Rhuin from Forbidden Lore is just what I've always wanted in my lord. He's about as survivable as it gets. I could give him the Accursed Armour and a decent save, but that's just overkill :)

Anwyway, go with what you feel like. I don't really like the Horde type army. I prefer Ghouls backed up by Blood Knights, ~1 unit of Fell Bats, Dire Wolves and Vampires. With the Wight King of course... I'm a real sucker for stuff you don't see every day.

Ha! I tested a list like this three weeks ago against Orges, and it did great. Double blood knights will come to be seen as cheesy for sure though. Like taking double treemen or four Helf bolt throwers. Sure is completely butt-rapingly brutal though.

Frankly
12-03-2008, 04:44
How did you run those Blood knight units?

l1ttle
12-03-2008, 08:18
I should go for the magic Vampire, you just take a lot of Grave Guard. And some skellies When you are a lvl 4 wizard it should be easy to summon a lot of zombies to keep the enemy distracted. With your grave guard you can attack the flanks and the rear of the enemy

Jack of Blades
12-03-2008, 08:54
Ha! I tested a list like this three weeks ago against Orges, and it did great. Double blood knights will come to be seen as cheesy for sure though. Like taking double treemen or four Helf bolt throwers. Sure is completely butt-rapingly brutal though.

Well, considering my army has little other than those 2 units of Blood Knights, it shouldn't be as cheesy :). I have 3 units of ghouls, 3 units of wolves and 5 fell bats plus my four characters. Not really an abundance of units.

And yes... completely butt-rapingly brutal! And then when they've gone through the Bloodies they'll have to go through 12 Ghouls + Wight King with GW and a regenerating, 4+ ward save, hit/wound on 2+ with re-rolls to both thanks to portent of far, plus hand of dust. Oh, and another unit of Ghouls will have WS6 :P

There's soooo many things you can do with the new book. Really good job by GW this time.

Leogun_91
12-03-2008, 10:33
What about a CC vampire that is a caddy. His bloodlines all combat and his items all scrolls, could work if you want balance and much CC.

crimslain
12-03-2008, 15:57
Which is nastier/cheesier"
Have to consider this is for a 3500 point game, where I can have 2 lords, neither one of these guys will be my general. I want to use him as a character killer/monstrous mount killer, with survivability.
Vampire Lord
Lvl. 3 Magic
Avatar of Death He will re-roll missed attacks, re-roll failed wounds, auto-kill anything he wounds.
Infinite Hatred, 4+ amor save vs. ranged and HtH.
Fly
Beguile
Frostblade
or
Vampire Lord
Lvl.3 Magic Re-roll failed hits and wounds, should make about 5-7 wounds each combat, and has killing blow, -3 to hit ranged, 3+ ward vs. anything ranged, 5+ armor save in HtH.
Red Fury
Infinite Hatred
Beguile
Armor of Night
Slayer of Kings
Talisman of Lycani
Wristbands of black gold or Crown?(gives a 4+ ward save/Stupidity)
or Vampire Lord
Lvl. 3 Magic
Fly
Infinite Hatred
Beguile
Night Armor
Wristbands of black gold or Crown?(gives a 4+ ward save/Stupidity)
Slayer of Kings

snyggejygge
12-03-2008, 21:51
I myself go the middle route, I add the Sword of Might & dreadknight for some combatpower (S6 & 2+ save is decent enough) & then I make him level 4 mage able to raise skellies on 3+ as well as the Book of Arkhan.

He is backed up by a pair of middle route Vampires & a necro w. scroll & Periapt (mounted on Plaguecart & having Van Hels Dance Macabre), in total I have 11 Powerdice & 3 boundspells, which is enough to overwhelm normal magic defense, while all my Vampires still have decent saves (2 Vampires w. 2+ armoursave & 1 w. Gem of Blood) & decent combat potential (Sword of Might, Biting Blade & Great Weapon). & no, not a single one of the Vampires spend their full quota on magic items/bloodlines since I still want to be able to get enough troops to survive even if my raising do fail.

Malorian
12-03-2008, 22:04
My lord will be defencive, and all of them will be magic heavy.

My lord will have blood drinker and crown of the damned. That should keep her alive. Then she is a lvl 4 mage with ghoulkin. (I'd rather have the ghoul kin on a regular vampire, but then it really cuts into the total magical effectiveness.