PDA

View Full Version : Dow Version Question

Souleater
10-03-2008, 22:18
Hello,

I just purchased Dow: SS. Is there any point having the previous expansions still installed? Does it up the version number of the game? Affect unit caps, etc? Or are they built into SS.

I was thinking of saving some disk space if they aren't needed.

Cheers.

Captain Uriel
11-03-2008, 01:48
I don't believe so but don't quote me on that. If you want to play the other versions of DoW again you will need the patches.

Durath
11-03-2008, 03:23
Having the previous versions allows you to play the corresponding races for the games that you own in "Soulstorm multiplayer" (and possibly Skirmish). Here's a breakdown of what games give access to what races:

Dawn of War (original):
Space Marines, Orks, Eldar, Chaos

Winter Assault:
Imperial Guard

Dark Crusade:
Necrons, Tau

Soulstorm:
Sisters of Battle, Dark Eldar

Souleater
11-03-2008, 09:02
Ah, sorry I didn't phrase my question very well.

DoW has gone through a number of balancing tweaks, eg hard caps on certain units, changes in build time and/or resource cost. I didn't know if these tweaks are already included in Soulstorm...I presume that they are but am not sure.

RavenMorpheus
11-03-2008, 15:19
Oh typical, you still need the other games installed to allow multiplayer to work, when are relic gonna come out with something that allows you to uninstall the other games and still have all the races in multiplayer, I've got 7-8 gigs of stuff on my HDD I don't really use now :mad:

@Souleater - the balancing tweaks will probably be in SS unless they were done in community mods. SS in an "expansion" and as such includes everything that was in the previous 3 versions and a bit more.

Souleater
11-03-2008, 16:11
Okay, cheers.

I think you can use all the races in multiplayer with just SS installed. When I first installed SS it asked me to input my various CD Keys to unlock the other races. Once I had removed the other programs I lost the ability to use them. But maybe if I had removed all the DoW progs then freshly installed SS and input my CD Keys I would have ended up with all of the races and the minimum amount of disk space used.

Durath
12-03-2008, 22:44
SoulStorm does have a few tweaks for each race to the tech building rates.

They have also added a few new upgrades to some existing units for certain races. One example is Khorne Bezerkers getting a "Mark of Khorne" ability. This auto-breaks nearby troops who have morale, and makes them flee for a few seconds. Really cool ability, but its very deep in the research tree.

I think the RelicNews forums have a post about what some of the changes are. I'd look there for details of what you are asking about. (I do not support the admin regime who run that site however, and will not link to it)

Gue'la Koholic
13-03-2008, 20:59
I do know that, compared to the base Tau from DC, that the SS tau are tweaked. Broadsides are no longer in squads. That's all I've found so far, although I'm sure the buffs and nerfs are present as well.

And you can simply shove the old CD Keys in, you don't have to install all the old games in. Seriously though, with as cheap as mass storage products are these days, who cares about a few gigs?