PDA

View Full Version : Matching inquisitorial philosophies to 40k Lists

Oathwarden
11-03-2008, 04:12
I don't know where this would go here, tactics, or background boards so if it should be bumped over to the others thanks in advance mods.

Basically from a theme point of view is it possible to build DH/WH armies that reflect the philosophies put forth in the Inquisitor game book? Like would istavaanians actually field forces of their own, or what special weapons would a thorian inquisitors forces probably take, or would their philosophies even matter in this type of discussion.

I don't remember all the philosophies because i don't have a copy of the game book yet(been mooching off the GM when playing atm) but i do have the DH+WH codex's and I'm just gathering ideas and hoping an interesting discussion developes.

Thanks in advance

11-03-2008, 04:57
I always thought it would be interesting combination witch hunters hate psychics and basically all DH are psycics????

anyways I have thought of making a combined force of the two

tuebor
11-03-2008, 05:04
Basically from a theme point of view is it possible to build DH/WH armies that reflect the philosophies put forth in the Inquisitor game book? Like would istavaanians actually field forces of their own, or what special weapons would a thorian inquisitors forces probably take, or would their philosophies even matter in this type of discussion.

I'd think that their philosophies would dictate more what they wouldn't take rather than what they would. For example, a staunch puritan like an Amalathian wouldn't use daemonhosts or bound psykers. I don't see much difference in lists beyond the radical/puritan divide.

Khornies & milk
11-03-2008, 05:56
I also think it's more of a Puritan/Radical process. As far as Weaponry goes only the Death Watch of the Ordo Xenos would contemplate using Alien weapons.
Radical Xanthites would use Daemonic weaponry and Artefacts.
Puritan Monodominants would more readily use Exterminatus, so you could use Orbital Strikes in your list, even though they're a waste of points.
I'll have a look at my Inquisition Books and see if there's more, even if for my my interest.
Great Thread.

The Inquisitor Gamebook is available on-line legally from GWUK, and others probably.

Khaine's Messenger
11-03-2008, 06:13
We can assume that the Inquisitors in question are not acting covertly, I take it? Quite a few radicals leave well enough alone if they can help it, at most fomenting a little misery and then skipping planet.

Istvaanians in particular--they're nasty little devils, stirring up Chaos or Xeno-cults and leaving them all as a mess for someone else to sort out with the Imperium's conspicuously large beat-stick. Some of them even spend time developing a complex masquerade where they act as a Cult Magus while at the same time leading armies against them or using Inquisitorial privilege to access the high seats of government and simply killing everyone to cause the maximum of anarchy. They could be leading practically any army, in that context, although it would be awkward to represent such a secret on the tabletop.

Puritans are practically tame by comparison. Monodominants are straightforward--most of the kit in the Inquisition codices was practically built for them and Amalathians, sans the obvious bits that would stand out like sore thumbs (Daemonhosts).

The radicals...well, Xanthites were sort-of covered when the Relictors got a Chapter Approved article. Just throw something from the warp into the same list...a few psykers here or there, call holy weapons or daemonhammers something a little more clever, whatever. Horusians would be about as hard to tell apart from their brethren as Thorians from the merely pious...however, they might hang with Space Marines or Afriel Strain Guardsmen. And Recongregators...well, I'd think they'd not have many ultra-loyalist factions following them around without some duplicity. The various bits of holy kit might also not serve them well, since they're more than a little ostentatious.

Oathwarden
11-03-2008, 06:31
But take the istaavanian for example, yes philosophically he's a radical, but I think he would still work with grey knights, SoB, SM, IG or be willing to use daemon hosts depending on the situation.

If he's trying to stregthen the imperium through strife(my understanding of istaavanian[my Inquisitor in the campaign is this view point]) any one of those forces can be used to oppose corruption, even if it is something he helped start. I.E he might 'encourage' an IG sergeant or commander that he's noticed on the edge of falling to truely fall, to test the faithfull members of the regiment and see if they are true servants of the emperor and if they cannot stop their commanders/fellow soilders. he might come back with a stronger force if the faithfull were not strong enough to oppose the tainted. At the same time probably means the inquisitor in question rely's on few people(because of constantly testing his 'allies' probably have a high body count and since he's even testing his higher ups and those below him, he'll probably have fewer 'direct' resources at his disposal.

so whats the impact on the game if you theme an Inquisitoral force based on Istaavanian philosophy? Primarily justification for being an ally in another army. Its one of the more open view points for a flexible reason why an Inq or Inq Lord is with a particular army, but at the same time probably won't have a uniform force of his/her own.

At least thats the view I've been able to come up with for the potential impacts of this philosophy on army theme.

Oathwarden
11-03-2008, 06:39
Great points so far. I was in the middle of typing my own message when Khaine's messenger finished theirs. really good points on the Istaavian could be leading/assisting anybody. probably some fun conversions and if you're in a campaign 40k wise it might be fun to play an Inquisitor assisting a chaos cult(running the daemon/heretic lists in the back of the DH/WH books)