PDA

View Full Version : Elf hugging?

FurryMiguell
11-03-2008, 09:04
I've noticed lately that more and more players start playing HE. only half a year ago, starting a WE army was a trend, and it anoys me.

HE came out, bringing along a few new very cool miniatures. My HE playing friend (4 years has he strugled with the old rules) was very happy, cause now he felt his HE was worth playing. I was anoyed my DE didnt get an update yet, but I was happy for him.

So, we went to the gaming club, two happy players with two armies, a four year old HE force with weeks old rules, and a few months old DE force with older rules. As we started to look for oponents, we noticed something funny. Only HE and WE forces to see!

So we asumed it might be elf-night (I know, sounds stupid:p), but it appeard all the regular gamers that did not yet own a WE force had bought the new HE! It really pissed us off, cause it was obvious they had done so only due to the new rules, which we think is for the wrong reasons. and now, when we go to the gaming club, there is never another army to face than WE or HE! (I found one guy who plays a goblin force, so I try to seek him out every time, but it seems hes always caught in combat with one of the other elf players.

So, I wanted to know if you have the same experiences, or something close, and what you think about it

Cheers:D

Gerrok
11-03-2008, 09:46
While I'm sure there's some players who start an army when it appears to be powerful, it's not always the case. Some players thing the background for some armies is really neat, but if the tabletop performance isn't as competitive as other lists they like then they'll collect something else instead.

I know this is kind of how beasts of chaos is for me, I really like the background of the army, and I like the units in the list (especially shaggoths), but what's putting me off is I don't think it's a great list right now. I decided to collect dark elves instead (*rawr* hydra) and if GW releases a book for BoC that I feel I can work with I'm going to collect them. But I would hate it if people accused me of jumping on the BoC bandwagon because they got a good army book, when the only thing putting me off before was a bad army book.

btw I do have 1500 points in beasts right now, but I got tired of my gors peeing their pants every time a fear causing unit was on the board. I thought they were viscious killers for the choas gods? Apparently not, they apparently have more bunny then beast in thier blood.

theunwantedbeing
11-03-2008, 09:54
When the new HE appeared, there were a bunch of new HE players for some odd reason.
There is currently a swathe of new vampire counts players...seems every few months we get an influx of a random army.

New book, new rules....new oppertunity to start an army you dont already have.

Da Black Gobbo
11-03-2008, 10:25
Well i've been in love with WE since they are wood elves (oh Durthu, oh Skaw why are you gone??), i've played them since i was a child, anyways i don't think all people is moving to W and H elves, in my playing area HE have been a very popular army being with the dwarves and chaos the most seen armies, but maybe it is just where i live and in Norway there are the same amount of Ultrasmurfs and HE/WE, hope not!!!

A neutral shade of black.
11-03-2008, 10:55
Army book creep. Every new army is more powerful than the last one to come out, so people naturally jump on the bandwagon. Don't worry, most of them will probably switch to DE when they come out, and then whatever's next.

EvC
11-03-2008, 11:31
Hell, it doesn't even have to be power creep- just the hype will do it. I'd guess for every thread whining about how powerful the new army is, a dozen people think "Excellent, they're so strong I can't lose!" and decide to buy the army.

adreal
11-03-2008, 12:55
Hehe I've been playing elves in fantasy since 4th ed, although I re bought my army in 6th (mainby because I got rid of all my old broken models) and got a bunch of new stuff for 7th ed. It happens though, the new rules are fairly strong and the new plastics hype (dragons) caused alot of people to 'like' the new high elves.

With wood elves it's kinda different, cause they weren't updated for soooo long (since 4th IIRC and ravening hordes), the model line was a big turn off, and the lack of bling in the list (RH was just bare bones) alot of people were waiting with baited breath over them, so any bandwagoners for this army I forgive, mainly due to the wait GW forced on us (yeah I had a smallish list in 4th ed as well)

FurryMiguell
11-03-2008, 15:44
Ok, I dont see how the fact that all the players that bought WE and HE armies when they got out will buy De armies when they get done over is going to help me:p. I mean, I've been waiting for the new rulebook a long time now so that i can adapt my army to the new book, so if all player start playing DE, then there wont be as many HE and WE, but still only elves! (and I find it unlogical that elves only fight among themselves here in norway;))

Cheers:D

Just Tony
11-03-2008, 16:32
Could it also be that people wanted HE before, and that the underpowered rules of the 6th Ed book put them off? That sort of thing happens ALOT. I know my brother and I put off armies til dead last because of shoddy rules, but would have been either our first or second choice for purchase.

And wait til VC hits the stores, I have a feeling you'll be sick of seeing bats just as quick...