PDA

View Full Version : Rappelling Space Marines?

Try Again Bragg
11-03-2008, 20:25
Could a space marine rappel in full armor? If it is possible, would the rappelling gear be something that marines could carry around in their utility belts?

Thanks for the input! :D

Promethius
11-03-2008, 20:42
I don't know why they would bother. Why not just do a controlled descent using a jump pack? In any case, marines can easily survive a fall that would kill a normal human (about three times your own height, if you are curious).

Lothlanathorian
11-03-2008, 20:46
They have drop pods, jump packs and teleporters for reason. Rappelling seems pointless.

Moostikal The Confused
11-03-2008, 20:57
Of course they could, most ropes used for rappeling today have astonishing breaking strains, not got the numbers but they can hold lots of weight. But, as stated, why bother?

Lord Malorne
11-03-2008, 21:02
Also in many instances they can just make there own holes. Also why would they need to rapple? in general space marines are not known to be sneaky and when they are it is usualy more of a speed thing as previous posts have said:deep strike, jump packs and what not.

Though remember space marines are able to adapt to any battle situation, so they would have the ability to rapple, as you can imagine many circumstances may arise were they need to do this.

icegreentea
11-03-2008, 21:24
I'm sure there are times when even Space Marines believe that the surprise gained by being stealthy, outweighs the silliness of wearing camouflage. Or maybe it's really really windy, making jetpack deployment kinda tricky. Or he's a poor tactical marine with no jumppack and wants to get down a really tall cliff without breaking stuff. Yeah.

But yeah. There is definitely rope strong enough for a marine to rappel with.

Burnthem
11-03-2008, 21:32
Obviously no-one here has heard of the Triple-weave High Tensile Poly-Steel Multi-purpose rope, standard issue to all Codex Astartes Chapters. Useful for many varied combat tasks, such as rappelling, tying up prisoners, fast-roping, abseiling, towing vehicles, strangling heretics and tripping Titans.

Available in 20, 50, 100 and 200 metre spools, this handy peice of equipment is available from you nearest Techmarine's workshop. Stock Number 8997-45667-356, one issue per Marine.

Try Again Bragg
11-03-2008, 21:35
Reason for the question was that I am working on a story where some marines infiltrate a building and the way I've written it, their only real escape is descending the side of the building. Does this seem like something marines would be able to do? They don't have access to jump packs.

CELS
11-03-2008, 21:57
Of course Space Marines would be able to rappel. And it's easy to think of situations where they would need to. Jump packs aren't available to more than approximately 20-25% of the chapter. Teleportation is even less common. The whole "Space Marines can just jump off roof-tops and survive because of their power armour" or "Space Marines can just shoot their way through the 102 floors of the Empire State building with their bolters" is just... well, silly, in my opinion.

TheBigBadWolf
11-03-2008, 22:01
I would imagine they would jump off the side and grap on to the side of the building to slow their drop, like the bit in I-robot, when will smith slides down the big brain

Try Again Bragg
11-03-2008, 22:18
Sliding would require slanted walls for the building, what if the surface is sheer?

Goruax
11-03-2008, 22:34
Scouts, with their less bulky armour and more stealth-based tactics, could definitely use rappelling.
Tactical Marines? Most Chapters shun, or at least rarely use, camouflage but it's not inconceivable, and in that situation, rappelling would be much stealthier than smashing your way in shouting, "Rawrg, me Space Marine, I smash wall!"

Try Again Bragg
11-03-2008, 22:44
Camoflauge or no, it is possible to have infiltrating tactical marines.

Mista Wu
11-03-2008, 22:45
in the novel Nightbringer (horrible dont buy it) some marines rappel something like 4 kilometers down a mine shaft holding on with one hand....i think its safe to say if, in their tactical opinions, they needed to rappel...they would find a way.

Sekhmet
11-03-2008, 23:05
Obviously no-one here has heard of the Triple-weave High Tensile Poly-Steel Multi-purpose rope, standard issue to all Codex Astartes Chapters. Useful for many varied combat tasks, such as rappelling, tying up prisoners, fast-roping, abseiling, towing vehicles, strangling heretics and tripping Titans.

Available in 20, 50, 100 and 200 metre spools, this handy peice of equipment is available from you nearest Techmarine's workshop. Stock Number 8997-45667-356, one issue per Marine.

tripping titans.. :D

reminds me of empire strikes back.

The_Outsider
11-03-2008, 23:10
in the novel Nightbringer (horrible dont buy it) some marines rappel something like 4 kilometers down a mine shaft holding on with one hand....i think its safe to say if, in their tactical opinions, they needed to rappel...they would find a way.

Not to mention he actually drops like the last 10 metres (onto a guardsmen at the bottom) so he can wield both his pistol and sword.

DSwede
11-03-2008, 23:17
If in your story it's not TOO tall, I'd say just have them jump, making a nice little crater below. It would make them seem much tougher. I'm guessing the shock absorbers in their powered armor can withstand quite a tall leap.

Mad Jack Deacon
11-03-2008, 23:26
I think it would be safe to assume that while the marines were aspirants seeking acceptance into the Chapter and even as SM Scouts, that operations in rugged/mountainous terrain would be one significant part of their training. So while the typical marine might never ever utilise a rappelling technique, he would know it.

Much like a soldier that left the USA 10th Mountain division might never need mountaineering skills as a rent-a-cop (or a Blackwater merc), but he wouldn't have forgotten his training.

"On Rappel!"

"On Belay!"

Try Again Bragg
11-03-2008, 23:40
If in your story it's not TOO tall, I'd say just have them jump, making a nice little crater below. It would make them seem much tougher. I'm guessing the shock absorbers in their powered armor can withstand quite a tall leap.

They've got a normal humie stormtrooper and unconscious human "package" with them though.

icegreentea
12-03-2008, 00:00
tripping titans.. :D

reminds me of empire strikes back.

How about that titan killing formation in apocalypse. Bunch of termies with hammers and a void nade just wailing away at a titan's toe.

Bunnahabhain
12-03-2008, 00:12
The climbing rope I'll be using tomorrow is rated for about 20 kN, ie about two tonnes, so would easily hold a rapelling space marine. Power armour will have any number of easy ways to attach a rapelling device, or just simply by using ceramite armoured hands to slide down the rope.

It doesn't require much training or equipment, so I can't see what marines wouldn't do so.

HorgothTheGreat
12-03-2008, 00:15
I'd rather just bomb the place rather then put Marines lives at risk and waste time and money.

Imperialis_Dominatus
12-03-2008, 07:21
You know, some Chapters do value stealth... Raven Guard anyone?

Of course Space Marines would learn to rappel, you never know when you're gonna need things like that. And I can see Marines using it in certain situations.

Try Again Bragg
12-03-2008, 10:47
I'd rather just bomb the place rather then put Marines lives at risk and waste time and money.

What? :confused:

Gen.Steiner
12-03-2008, 11:16
Yes, they can rappel.

Personally, tho', I reckon they should just shoot the hostages! Ahahahha! Oh wait, sorry...

Faolan
12-03-2008, 11:27
Try, I love the idea and I support it.

Your SMs really wouldn't have to "carry" much in the way of gear other than a rope - anyone who's been through steep angle rescue courses has been taught how to rappel with just a rope available at the worst.

Raven Guard, Soul Drinkers, etc, all valued stealth to some degree or another, so I think it's perfectly plausible.

However, as for the "sheer surface" question, it's stated over and over in various fluff that a marine can pretty much ram his fingers into the floor, walls, etc, and use it to arrest his fall or find purchase. Having said that, roping down would be a LOT easier, especially while carrying out high value assets, like people.

Just as a modeller, man, I'd feel kinda wierd modelling on the rappelling gear to a marine...

Likely conversation between me and the local shopguy: "Hey Jake, why's that marine got a bondage strap around his groin?" "Err, yeah, well, it's rappelling harness, Heath" "Haha hey Mark, everyone, come look at this! We have the Bondage Chapter of the Astartes over here!" Queue not showing face for next 4 months.

azazel_fallenangel
14-03-2008, 15:15
The SM Scouts box has a coiled rope bit on the sprue, did once have an idea to model on of them rapelling down, before realising the rope would lead to nowhere and would look silly rappeliung all over the place. Still, might do it, on "the list".