PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Heavy Magic Defense Lizardmen

themandudeperson
12-03-2008, 00:35
I've got an RTT coming up where I think 4 players(1 High Elf army with Teclis, 1 Tomb Kings army, 1 O&G army with a lvl 4 shaman and 2 lvl 2's and a Britonnian army)are going to have or can have very effective magic heavy lists so I came up with two possible Sacred Host of Tepok lists. As far as limitations, I can only own 40 Saurus Warriors, 48 Skinks, 6 Kroxigor, 16 Cold One Riders, 3 Terradons, 1 Slann, 1 Carnisaur(w/ rider), 1 Stegadon(w/ crew), 3 Saurus Heroes on Foot, 1 Saurus Hero on Cold One.

Saurus Oldblood with Sacred Spawnings of Tepok, Sotek and Quetzl, Light Armor, Blade of Revered Tzunki and Aura of Quetzl
Saurus Scar-Veteran with Sacred Spawnings of Tepok and Sotek, Light Armor, Great Weapon, Maiming Shield and Charm of the Jaguar Warrior
Saurus Scar-Veteran bearing Huanchi's Blessed Totem, with Sacred Spawnings of Tepok and Sotek, and Light Armor
Core:
11 Skinks w/ Sacred Spawning of Tepok
2x10 Scout Skinks w/ Sacred Spawning of Tepok
2x90 180
2x19 Saurus Warriors w/ full command and Sacred Spawning of Tepok
2x288 576
Special:
4 Kroxigor with Ancient
Rare:
Stegadon

OR

Saurus Oldblood with Sacred Spawnings of Tepok, Sotek and Quetzl, Light Armor, Blade of Revered Tzunki and Aura of Quetzl
Saurus Scar-Veteran with Sacred Spawnings of Tepok and Sotek, Light Armor, Great Weapon, Maiming Shield and Charm of the Jaguar Warrior
Lvl 2 Skink Priest with Sacred Spawning of Tepok and 2 dispel scrolls
Core:
10 Skinks w/ Sacred Spawning of Tepok
2x12 Scout Skinks w/ Sacred Spawning of Tepok
2x104 208
19 Saurus Warriors w/ full command and Sacred Spawning of Tepok
20 Saurus Warrirors w/ full command and Sacred Spawning of Tepok
Special:
4 Kroxigor with Ancient
Rare:
Stegadon

Ivan the Terrible
12-03-2008, 21:20
There are other ways to fight magic than a sacred hord of Tepok. You can always give that mark to each character, plus a couple skink scroll caddies. A slann with the diadem of power can give you up to four dispell dice. Don't forget that your jaguar saurus can make a great mage hunter.

If you give your old blood the blade of Tzunki you should give him a shield too. An enchanted sheild costs less than mark of quetzl, but is actually more effective than your set-up. Also, one level two skink priest is not going to do much against magic heavy armies. Also, for future armies get yourself some salamander figures.

Sarael
13-03-2008, 02:15
In the second list, if all you're bringing the skink priest along for is the dispel scrolls (and he'll probably be worth his points) then I recommend dropping the lvl 2. You'll have 4 casting dice only, whereas most magic heavy armies swing 6+ dispel dice (among other things). If he's just a scroll caddy, don't spend extra points on him that won't be used.

Famder
13-03-2008, 03:17
Go for a Southlands list if you really want to got magic defense heavy. You can have most of the stuff you are already taking, plus give mark of Tepok to lvl 1 skink priests to make each one generate 2 DD.

themandudeperson
13-03-2008, 19:45
actually, I tallied up his points with a shield included, but I forgot to put it in his description.
The lvl 2 upgrade on my skink priest was more or less because I had left over points and I don't have the models to put the points into my saurus warriors and it's not enough points to get another unit of kroxigor or a unit of terradons.. Plus I figured, if I can beat up on their army enough, I might be able to drop a mage or two, then my measly 4 casting dice might be able to cast something from the lore of light, which your skink priests have to use if you use the sacred host of tepok. I might drop the stegadon and field two units of 3 kroxigor instead. That'd free up some extra points to go with the points saved by having a lvl 1 priest instead.
Personally, I like the list with the BSB in it, it gives me another ace up my sleeve in addition to my jaguar warrior. The 4 strength 5 attacks he comes with will help score kills. I can use the standard to wheel and march up to a unit that's outside of los, then use the standard to charge them, or I can use it to deny missile troops their stand and shoot or whatever. Also, being a BSB he makes my Saurus damned near impossible to run off the table barring a flank attacks and other bad scenarios that I'm depending on my unit of non-scout skinks, stegadon and kroxigor to protect against.
By the way, does anyone know how well chameleon skinks hold up as siege machine and mage hunters when compared to terradons??

themandudeperson
16-03-2008, 03:36
bump.. soooo.. about them chameleon skinks..

Dead Man Walking
16-03-2008, 14:32
Giving your saurus warriors a mark of tepok makes them into a special selection, not a core. I never go into battle without a unit of 3 salamanders. If your going up against the cheesery of teclis then I would have no problems bringing 2 units of them.

Also a good way to combat mages is to get into combat with them and kill them. That is what terradons were made for, smash in, kill the mage and then bounce out of combat. Don't challenge just swing. I have also smashed a stegadon into a hard core killing blow unit with a tomb king and a liche priest and first killed the priest and then in the next round I killed the king making the army crumble.

Frankly if you cant get enough dispel dice with lizardmen you cant do it. I am less worried about your dispel dice and more worried about the fighting synergy of your army. Dispel dice are only supposed to help you weather the storm, not shut them down. You weather the storm long enough to get into combat or shoot them down yourself. Saurus warriors are not my favorite since they have to foot slog accross the table, but some people swear by them. I prefer hard hitting and fast moving.

Also remember the cube, dispel dice and diadem of power to boost your dispel phase.

Cameleons suck compared to terradons, cameleons cost too much, and poison darts loose most of thier effect when you have to randomise onto artillery which you cant poison. They also cant single out a mage (would be nice if they could sigle out a character in the next rule book for sure!) so thier character hunting abilities are nil.

Tobias
16-03-2008, 16:10
Skink priests can't have tepok.
Mark of sotek is overrated
You need terradons, since they are excellent mage hunters.
+ I am not a big fan of saurus, but that's just me.