PDA

View Full Version : 2 Armies which one do I choose First?

Sir Phobos
12-03-2008, 03:29
It stinks I have 2 armies that I want to start but I dont know what one to start first? Its between Space Marines and Sisters of Battle. Its going to cost me about the same to get a 2000 point army, well maybe a little more for the SoB but not much. I know as soon as I choose one I'll wish I chose the other for one reason or another. I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem, not with those specific armies but in general and how they decided?

==Me==
12-03-2008, 04:32
Well, SM are much more well supported with lots of plastics and a very numerous and devoted fanbase. ==My== favorite army in 40k and the reason I started. The most popular army by far, which earns it some ire from other (jealous) players.

SoBs are a subset of the Witch Hunters list and are more of a niche list with all metal and a unique style. The SoB base is not very big, but they are borderline rabid with their devotion to the girls.

Both armies are good to start with, since the best army to start with is the one you like most. Marines are easier on the wallet and much more noob-friendly in terms of models with loads of plastic and easy conversions.

If you can't decide, why not ally them together? SoBs can be attached to a marine army (not the other way around unfortunately) so you can have the best of both worlds.

Making that decision is tough, but everyone goes through it at some point, I did the same with ==My== 2nd 40k army (Chaos, Orks, or Eldar) and ==My== Fantasy army (Skaven, Lizzies, DE). Your best bet is to pick the force you like best, everything else will work itself out.

12-03-2008, 04:36
do both.

yeah it will take a bit longer but the advnatage of SOB and SM you can use them together

but if you don't want to use them together it gives you two forces to play with as you go along

hush88
12-03-2008, 04:48
Well SM 'cause you can get more minis, but if you are looking for uniqueness in the gaming environment, SOBs.

dblaz3r
12-03-2008, 05:31
I would say, if you have the money, then both. If not then I'd say marines, maybe buy a squad of sisters as well and slowly build them up. Each time you buy something for the marines buy a little something for the sisters and that way once you are ready to dedicate your cash to the sisters you already have a decent head start.

Burning Star IV
12-03-2008, 05:57
Ahhh yes. This old chestnut. My Tau, Chaos, and Tyranids all beg to have their ranks bolstered above the others, and when I go into the shop, I may come out with a carnifex, a vindicator, or a hammerhead, I never know until I get to the counter.

So to answer your question, I don't know.

WorLord
12-03-2008, 06:00
Sisters would stand out more, but their weapon options are limited. Lots of bolters w/ flamers and meltas being your primary support choices.

Marines, though way too common, have more options available for weapons and vehicles. You can better tailor a marine army to the style of play you prefer.

Dr.Clock
12-03-2008, 06:13
I think the best thing would, as has been said, to basically do both.

If this is your first 2000 points of GW stuff, period, then I'd advise you to build 1000 points of both. Picking marines first will allow you to get the hang of power-armoured troops quickly, without having to deal with the 'random' faith system. To win, you need to learn to use abilities that no other army does in quite the same way. The turn planning needed to win is unlike anything else in the game [IMO].

Combining Imperial forces will give you a wider range of battle experiences and. This will result in a broader sense of the tactical and strategic concerns of the system, not to mention a strong basis for a much larger force that can maintain a high degree of variety while being divisible into smaller (1500) point factions capable of use all alone.

Focussing on getting 1000 points of marines first with a few key purchases of SoB will be best from the modelling ans $ side.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Nicoca
12-03-2008, 07:18
As a sister of battle player, my unbiased opinion is to go with the sisters.

The diversity availible with the Witch Hunters list is staggering and gives you the option to incorparate SM at later date.

After all they do say "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned". Whats better than a scorned women with a bolter and a 3+ save.

Luisjoey
12-03-2008, 08:51
star with SM

oceansoul
12-03-2008, 23:24
Have to say Sisters, mostly because I like them and I don't like marines that much [not hate, just don't want to play them]

Drakon
13-03-2008, 05:18
Have to sisters as almost everyone has a marine army

Bregalad
13-03-2008, 12:00
SM is easier to start with, both playwise and paintingwise. You get lots of support, lots of different models, lots of novels from BL, the army is tolerant to tactical errors and everyone in the store can help you because he also owns a SM army ;)

SoB are more delicate to play and paint. But they are often unique at the store and have their own style, also fighting style. It might take a while to learn how to use faith points and such, but the Warseer Tactica on them is recommended:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151

Torga_DW
13-03-2008, 15:36
I'd probably say SM. Because our local sister player keeps foaming at the mouth about how in v5 they're going to be made into their own army (instead of being grouped with inquisitors). Take that with a grain of salt, but you may buy your sisters only to find things have changed and wish you had waited.

victorpofa
13-03-2008, 20:46
Go with the army that is not likely to be altered soon. AKA SoB. You can then do marines after their 5th edition debut so no obsolete loadouts.

Archangel_Ruined
13-03-2008, 23:38
SoB are going to cost A LOT MORE for 2000pts than marines will, it's simply due to the similar base points cost and the complete none existence of SoB plastics. Other than that, go with the army you want to paint more, as you'll be spending a long time looking at the models.