PDA

View Full Version : need help with black library selection...

vanquish46
12-03-2008, 06:41
I looked at the black library selection and it completely overwelms me, I'm looking for stuff to do with space marines/Imperium and i found that but are they just fluff or do they have tactics and stuff also? I will get a few for names of armies and inspiration but I'm wondering if they have any dedicated to formations and that kind of stuff.

sugarwookie
12-03-2008, 14:11
The Ciaphas Cain omnibus is really a fun read. If you like IG you'll really like this book. I've just started it and I'm really liking it alot. It's based on a Comissar that's a little on the shady/ cowardly side, but always ends up looking like a hero which get's him into more and more dangerous situations.

wOOkie

vanquish46
12-03-2008, 14:35
Ok, thanks

Vladigar
12-03-2008, 21:33
You're not going to read anything in a Black Library novel that's going to help you in a tabletop game. It's just loose background and inspiration for you to buy new armies. ;)

Johnny Bravo
12-03-2008, 21:45
You're not going to read anything in a Black Library novel that's going to help you in a tabletop game. It's just loose background and inspiration for you to buy new armies. ;)

QFT. If I had less willpower, I'd have a smattering of pretty much every single army out there thanks to the books I've read.

I recommend the Cain books as well, and definitely check out the Eisenhorn books, which are also available in one handy Omnibus now. The Horus Heresy series is also, on the whole, quite good.

Be warned, though. BL books tend to be either very good, or very bad. There's also a lot of creative license taken by the authors, so things don't always match up with the background you might be familiar with.

For proper tactics and such, you're better off going with the various Tactica threads here on Warseer.

Jos
12-03-2008, 22:06
I've heard from my source that BL is being butcherd in order to make the the yearly roundup go nice, and that thy won't be coming back. this is a bit of a far shot, but this guy is fully reliable, and has never faulted me before

CaptainAdama
12-03-2008, 22:12
If you want a book that details the organisation of a Space Marine chapter, you should try Insignium Astartes (http://blacklibrary.co.uk/product.asp?prod=60719999043&type=Book).

It gives the composition of a Chapter (using the Ultramarines as an example), and details organisation, colour schemes, badges and variants, vehicles and all sorts. It's very useful when painting a Space Marine army.

vanquish46
12-03-2008, 22:55
QFT. If I had less willpower, I'd have a smattering of pretty much every single army out there thanks to the books I've read.

I recommend the Cain books as well, and definitely check out the Eisenhorn books, which are also available in one handy Omnibus now. The Horus Heresy series is also, on the whole, quite good.

Be warned, though. BL books tend to be either very good, or very bad. There's also a lot of creative license taken by the authors, so things don't always match up with the background you might be familiar with.

For proper tactics and such, you're better off going with the various Tactica threads here on Warseer.

Ah, alright, thanks.

Ixajin
12-03-2008, 22:59
@Jos - Can you define what you mean by being butchered?

rebmonk
12-03-2008, 23:09
Hmm....i agree the ciaphus ones are great. The gaunts ghost books are really really good as well. I just read rebel winter, which was pretty good and focused on guard.

Fantasy wise i have to recommend the malus darkblade series. even though im a dark elf at heart, i loved all the action and backstabbing in the book. The genevieve vampire omnibus is ok too.

vanquish46
12-03-2008, 23:28

Yeah i didnt understand that either :confused:

I have like $50 of barnes and noble gift cards and im *pretty* sure you can use them online cuz the online store has warhammer 40k stuff. dont know if the actual store does, well the one near me atleast

Johnny Bravo
12-03-2008, 23:28

Yes, please. I'm curious about this as well. I can't imagine why GW would do away with their publishing wing, unless they cut a lucrative deal with some other major publishing house.

Vladigar
13-03-2008, 00:31
Actually, it's Black Industries that's being shut down in order to focus more on Black Library products.

vanquish46
13-03-2008, 04:48
Actually, it's Black Industries that's being shut down in order to focus more on Black Library products.

whats black industries?? never heard of it...

The Orange
13-03-2008, 05:18
I don't know how long they were around but BI was behind the short lived 40k RPG recently published. I believe GW signed a deal with another company to do that kind of stuff though.

vanquish46
13-03-2008, 06:42
the pen and pencil RPG correct?

Logarithm Udgaur
13-03-2008, 06:57
Correct. I hope you (The Orange) are correct, cause it seems really stupid to cancel a product that sold out in a few days.

Jos
13-03-2008, 17:14
Correct. I hope you (The Orange) are correct, cause it seems really stupid to cancel a product that sold out in a few days.

ah, but they are cutting it off. My hobby store were unable to order in more copies. the owner got to hear that they were out of prodution.

Light of the Emperor
13-03-2008, 18:28
The Dark Heresy RPG is available at my local booksellers and not my game store which is pretty funny.

The Black Library does make "artifact" books such as the Uplifting Primer and the Munitorum Manual. Those give some good insight into the 40k world. There are background books as well such as the Tactica Imperium, Battle for Armageddon and the 13th Black Crusade.

Thud
13-03-2008, 18:55
If you like literature, you should stay as far away from BL as possible. ;)

That being said, as some has already mentioned, the Ciaphas Cain series is rather entertaining and absolutely worth a read. Also, "The Inquisition War" trilogy by Ian Watson is advisable. Unlike most of the other BL fanfiction, it actually has characters, not just superficial and laughable "the emperor rules/the emperor sucks" parodies.

I sound like a pompous elitist prick, don't I? :p

Vladigar
14-03-2008, 00:13
I don't know how long they were around but BI was behind the short lived 40k RPG recently published. I believe GW signed a deal with another company to do that kind of stuff though.

Fantasy Flight Games has been given (sold) the rights to continue the Warhammer Fantasy and 40k RPGs.

nedsta
14-03-2008, 00:42
i love reading my inquisition trilogy,much better then most of the stuff out nowadays

Frep
14-03-2008, 02:17
The Gaunt's Ghost's novels by Dan Abnett are excellent (so is Double Eagle, about a fighter squadron). The Caiphas Cain novels make for a good light read as well. Though they seem a little bit distant from most other 40k fluff.

I recently bought the novels Rebel Winter, 15 Hours, Double Eagle, the Ultramarine Omnibus, the Founding Omnibus (Gaunt's Ghosts), Gotrek and Felix the first omnibus (Fantasy novel). I'd place the Dan Abnett novels at the head of the pack, closely followed by the Gotrek and Felix collection and then Rebel Winter. The others have been pretty good but the marine in the Ultramarine novels are almost too "human."

Oh and as a final word of warning spouted often here on Warseer, avoid the works of C.S. Goto like the plague if you're looking for anything close to established fluff.

vanquish46
14-03-2008, 05:25
If you like literature, you should stay as far away from BL as possible. ;)

That being said, as some has already mentioned, the Ciaphas Cain series is rather entertaining and absolutely worth a read. Also, "The Inquisition War" trilogy by Ian Watson is advisable. Unlike most of the other BL fanfiction, it actually has characters, not just superficial and laughable "the emperor rules/the emperor sucks" parodies.

I sound like a pompous elitist prick, don't I? :p

hahaha no your fine. yeah i do like literature...lol but i also like this kind of fantasy stuff but theres so much i just didnt know where to start

vanquish46
18-03-2008, 04:26
any other recommendations that focus on space marines?

Lord Cook
18-03-2008, 06:00
Recommended reading:

Eisenhorn trilogy
Ravenor trilogy
Rebel Winter
Double Eagle
All of Gaunts Ghosts
All of Ciaphus Cain

15 Hours was reasonable, but not brilliant IMO.

As for space marine literature, I don't think you would go far wrong with the Horus Heresy series. I haven't read it, but its popularity speaks for itself.

vanquish46
18-03-2008, 06:08
Recommended reading:

Eisenhorn trilogy
Ravenor trilogy
Rebel Winter
Double Eagle
All of Gaunts Ghosts
All of Ciaphus Cain

15 Hours was reasonable, but not brilliant IMO.

As for space marine literature, I don't think you would go far wrong with the Horus Heresy series. I haven't read it, but its popularity speaks for itself.

I've been looking around a bit and those all sound good. Is the Horus Heresy about like when chaos sm was formed and stuff? I dont really understand what they are about...

Brother Loki
18-03-2008, 10:13
Yes the Horus Heresy series deals with the civil war in which half the space marine legions fell to chaos when the Imperium was in its infancy. Start with 'Horus Rising' and read them in order.

vanquish46
18-03-2008, 15:18
Ok, thanks.

electricwolf
18-03-2008, 15:36
I looked at the black library selection and it completely overwelms me, I'm looking for stuff to do with space marines/Imperium and i found that but are they just fluff or do they have tactics and stuff also? I will get a few for names of armies and inspiration but I'm wondering if they have any dedicated to formations and that kind of stuff.

Are you looking for a specific chapter of pace marines or just space marines in general?

I have been amassing quite a collection of Black Library books and to be honest i have liked 90% of them. I have read the deathwatch books, some of the gaunts ghosts books, some of the space wolf books and all of the dark angel books. The compilation books are fairly decent and they give you a mixture of various races.

vanquish46
18-03-2008, 16:00
more of ultramarines but anything regarding the empire is good enough for me

boogle
18-03-2008, 16:05
Stay away from the Inquisition War trilogy, its utter utter cack in my opinion, Jaq Draco is by far the worst Inquisitor i've ever met, and trying to make anyone understand the Eldar is just stupid, i got through 2/3 and then gave up, i really tough set of books to batter through, i love reading all sorts of literature, but that book has been the only thing i have put down and never finished, although i know how it all ends

Chainsworded Codpiece
18-03-2008, 16:42
Stay away from the Inquisition War trilogy, its utter utter cack in my opinion, Jaq Draco is by far the worst Inquisitor i've ever met, and trying to make anyone understand the Eldar is just stupid

I both agree and disagree with the above.

At the time those works first came out (written in '91, published in '92), they were absolutely amazing. They were by far the most thought-provoking wierdness GW had given us.

Their sense of atmosphere was perfect; a Universe that felt both incomprehesively vast and exciting, yet also claustrophobic and threatening.

Everything was wondrous, but a sense of futility and frustration overlaid it all.

But, you know? Atmospheric prose just doesn't do it for a lot of people. And that's perfectly all right. Furthermore, the "futility" and "frustration" can often lead to a sense of, "Why the f@kk am I reading this?", eventually.

It sure did for me, after the second book in the series...

You want Spacer'ino goodness? Everyone thus far who's recommended the Horus Heresy is on the money. Horus Rising will blow you away. Or, at least, I am reasonably confident that it will not disappoint.

Dan Abnett doesn't always get it right, though. Brothers of the Snake *had some good bits, but "some good bits" within 200+ pages isn't worth one's money. A lot of it was Frank-Frazetta-Panel-Van-Art style prose.**

Good luck, and happy(?) reading.

*concerning the Iron Snakes Chapter of Space Marines

**which is to say, the written equivalent to cheesy power-fantasy macho douche-bag "art" that some scummy hesher who listens to Rush and Hawkwind would have on the side of his van.

Logarithm Udgaur
19-03-2008, 07:53
**which is to say, the written equivalent to cheesy power-fantasy macho douche-bag "art" that some scummy hesher who listens to Rush and Hawkwind would have on the side of his van.
This pretty much applies to all of 40K.

If you are looking for some thing more on the Chaos side of SM, I recommend Lord of the Night and Dark Apostle. Both are really good reads, but for different reasons.

boogle
19-03-2008, 13:05
My main gripe with inquisition war was i really didn't care about any of the main characters, that's a definition of a bad book for me

vanquish46
19-03-2008, 20:05
alright thanks guys. i ordered the first two books of horus heresy series, ultramarines omnibus and the first 7 of gaunts ghosts (in 2 omnibuses). i ordered a lot considering ive never ready any bl book before but i read the 15 pages that are on the bl website and they were all good

The Song of Spears
19-03-2008, 20:47
i love reading my inquisition trilogy,much better then most of the stuff out nowadays

Care to expand on that, i just got Dark Heresy and would love some fluff to get me started.

nuclearfeet
19-03-2008, 21:25
I'm on the third book of the Soul Drinkers omnibus, and it's been pretty good so far. Also, the Grey Knights series is a pretty good read.

Fire1098
19-03-2008, 21:46
The Imperial Armour books from forgeworld have both in them. Lots of good fluff and a whole tactics section in the back.

Drakon
19-03-2008, 22:26
What does everyone think about the last chancers?

So far im 2/3 through the first book and think its ... alright... but could be better. do the following 2 get better.

P.S. 13th legion is the first in this series isnt it? if so what is the next one? i want to make sure im reading them in the correct order.

O and for space marines ive found the HH is the best so far out of what ive read it gives you an insite to most of the chapters in the first founding.

Also the ragnar series is good and im getting the new one this week and cant wait to read it. But then again i may be alittle bias towards SW books :)

Lord Cook
19-03-2008, 23:06
Also, the Grey Knights series is a pretty good read.

Isn't that written by Goto?

nedsta
20-03-2008, 00:40
Care to expand on that, i just got Dark Heresy and would love some fluff to get me started.

i can go one better then that if your interested i've got a spare copy of the first book Inquisitor,it should wet your whistle if your after a bit of fluff,but bear in mind that this was back in the rogue trader days of 40k and fluff has changed a fair bit,i'm sure you'd be able to pick up the other books on ebay if you like this one

Eetion
20-03-2008, 01:03
The Imperial Infantrymans Uplifting Primer is a good, yet amusing read.

It takes the form as a standard issue book given to all guardsmen. Might be the closest thing your looking for.

Vladigar
20-03-2008, 01:27
Isn't that written by Goto?

Goto writes about the Blood Ravens, Deathwatch (a grave disservice to the Deathwatch, if I may be so bold) and Eldar. Ben Counter writes the Grey Knights series.

Drakon
20-03-2008, 01:37
Goto writes about the Blood Ravens, Deathwatch (a grave disservice to the Deathwatch, if I may be so bold) and Eldar. Ben Counter writes the Grey Knights series.

Dam i just brought the Dawn of War omnibus and a deathwatch book.

Is he really that bad?

If so why?

Lord Cook
20-03-2008, 01:50
Is he really that bad?

If so why?

Terminators charging out of rhinos? He wasn't a good writer in the first place IMO, but he also pays little attention to the fluff. His more recent work may have been vetted more closely by GW though, I only looked at the first few.

Drakon
20-03-2008, 02:06
Dam o well ill still attempt to read in the spirit of the game.

Is it better than the last chancers? Finding that hard to get through and im on the first book? i hope its the 1st book in the series. 13th legion is that the 1st? noone answered my previous post a page back

vanquish46
20-03-2008, 03:32
Ok...thanks for telling us why goto was bad

Logarithm Udgaur
20-03-2008, 09:49
Dam o well ill still attempt to read in the spirit of the game.

Is it better than the last chancers? Finding that hard to get through and im on the first book? i hope its the 1st book in the series. 13th legion is that the 1st? noone answered my previous post a page back

Yes, 13th Legion is the first book. The others are Kill Team and Annihilation Squad. There are also a couple of short stories that are available in the omnibus edition.

I think Goto is considered a bad writer by most people because he seems not to care about his stories. What I mean by this is that he will have characters that are established in other books acting contrary to their established personalities. He also does not follow the established (fake) physics of the universes he writes about. This comes from reading a few Battletech books he wrote, so I cannot really comment on the BL stuff. Suffice to say, after reading the drivel he wrote in the Battletech universe, I did not bother to pick up anything authored by him for BL.

Edit: Forgot to say it, but I really enjoyed the Last Cahnchers series, despite a few glaring flaws.

vanquish46
20-03-2008, 17:00
Yes, 13th Legion is the first book. The others are Kill Team and Annihilation Squad. There are also a couple of short stories that are available in the omnibus edition.

I think Goto is considered a bad writer by most people because he seems not to care about his stories. What I mean by this is that he will have characters that are established in other books acting contrary to their established personalities. He also does not follow the established (fake) physics of the universes he writes about. This comes from reading a few Battletech books he wrote, so I cannot really comment on the BL stuff. Suffice to say, after reading the drivel he wrote in the Battletech universe, I did not bother to pick up anything authored by him for BL.

Edit: Forgot to say it, but I really enjoyed the Last Cahnchers series, despite a few glaring flaws.

Ok I get what you mean about Goto. I may read one of his books just to see but probably not.

electricwolf
20-03-2008, 17:10
Ok I get what you mean about Goto. I may read one of his books just to see but probably not.

See i've read the deathwatch books and i kinda liked them.

The Song of Spears
20-03-2008, 17:21
i can go one better then that if your interested i've got a spare copy of the first book Inquisitor,it should wet your whistle if your after a bit of fluff,but bear in mind that this was back in the rogue trader days of 40k and fluff has changed a fair bit,i'm sure you'd be able to pick up the other books on ebay if you like this one

A RT era book? I saw the adverts for the INQ books in the back of the Dark Heresy book, and they looked new, at least the cover art did.

nedsta
20-03-2008, 17:49
A RT era book? I saw the adverts for the INQ books in the back of the Dark Heresy book, and they looked new, at least the cover art did.

If its by Ian Watson and has a terminator Inquisitor in red armour on the front then its definately the books from the RT era,

vanquish46
20-03-2008, 23:45
grrr my BL books still havent come...i need something good to read

Drakon
21-03-2008, 00:17

Cool thanks for that. I must admit the further into the book i get i seem to like it more. But dam it seems every page someone is dying.

Johnny Bravo
21-03-2008, 00:41
grrr my BL books still havent come...i need something good to read

Here's some titles your local bookstore should carry if they're at all self-respecting.

Wyrd Sisters - Terry Pratchett
Guards! Guards! - Terry Pratchett
Practical Demonkeeping - Christopher Moore
Bloodsucking Freaks: A Love Story - Christopher Moore

Not BL books, but they definitely qualify as 'something good to read'. :)

rambler
21-03-2008, 01:03
What does everyone think about the last chancers?

So far im 2/3 through the first book and think its ... alright... but could be better. do the following 2 get better.

P.S. 13th legion is the first in this series isnt it? if so what is the next one? i want to make sure im reading them in the correct order.

O and for space marines ive found the HH is the best so far out of what ive read it gives you an insite to most of the chapters in the first founding.

Also the ragnar series is good and im getting the new one this week and cant wait to read it. But then again i may be alittle bias towards SW books :)

I liked the Last Chancers series. You definatly get the impression that Schaffer is a MAJOR bastard.

I've got to add my votes for the Gaunt's Ghosts series and the Eisnhorn series. I'm working on the Ravenor series. I also liked Faith and Fire with the Sisters of Battle.

Drakon
21-03-2008, 06:28
I liked the Last Chancers series. You definatly get the impression that Schaffer is a MAJOR bastard.

I've got to add my votes for the Gaunt's Ghosts series and the Eisnhorn series. I'm working on the Ravenor series. I also liked Faith and Fire with the Sisters of Battle.

Ive got the Eisnhorn omnibus and the Ravenor series on my book shelf ready to read also but going to finish the last chancers series as well as legion and "wolfs honour".

Dam trying to read all these books but there bringing out new titles so fast, not that im complaining.

Yip Schaffer is a Ba*ta*d alright i would have put a bullet in his head but he proberly would have beaten me to it.

Logarithm Udgaur
21-03-2008, 06:36
Schaffer would glare at the bullet until it ran cringing back to the safety of your gun. The man took on a Hive Tyrant and lived, that pretty much makes him bulletproof.

vanquish46
21-03-2008, 06:56
Here's some titles your local bookstore should carry if they're at all self-respecting.

Wyrd Sisters - Terry Pratchett
Guards! Guards! - Terry Pratchett
Practical Demonkeeping - Christopher Moore
Bloodsucking Freaks: A Love Story - Christopher Moore

Not BL books, but they definitely qualify as 'something good to read'. :)

:) thanks. I just finished reading The Pillars of the Earth (cant remember author). It takes place in 12th century England (its fiction though) and is about the kings and earls and church and and stuff...sorry its kinda complicated to give a summary since its told from like ?8? points of view and they all are doing different stuff and betraying other people and murdering people to get what they want. its REALLY REALLY good for anyone who can sit down long enough to read all of the 973 pages of amazingness.

if you want a better summary im sure you can find one online

Drakon
21-03-2008, 06:58
Schaffer would glare at the bullet until it ran cringing back to the safety of your gun. The man took on a Hive Tyrant and lived, that pretty much makes him bulletproof.

Im guessing thats what happens either at the end of this book which is the thing running around the city or in the later books, bit of a spoileer there, dam

blankhalo
21-03-2008, 11:36
To me the 2 black library books that stood out for me in terms of discussion of tatics for space marines are Storm of Iron by Graham McNeill which goes into seige warfare and Crimson Tears by Ben Counter, which describes how a General would use Space Marines as part of a combined Imperial force.

Although to be honest your best bet for tatics, the formations used and descriptions of large scale imperial engagements is actually (as someone has already pointed out) the Imperial Armour series from Forgeworld (volume 3 onwards).

Logarithm Udgaur
21-03-2008, 12:01
Im guessing thats what happens either at the end of this book which is the thing running around the city or in the later books, bit of a spoileer there, dam
It happens in the Deliverance short story, which is in the omnibus.

Drakon
23-03-2008, 13:37
It happens in the Deliverance short story, which is in the omnibus.

Sweet and since i havent and will not get the omnibus thats all cool. Just finished the 1st book now starting to the second book while i wait for my copy of legion and "wolfs honour".

Dam post where are they.

DragonPup
23-03-2008, 13:51
: I just finished reading The Pillars of the Earth (cant remember author). It takes place in 12th century England (its fiction though) and is about the kings and earls and church and and stuff...sorry its kinda complicated to give a summary since its told from like ?8? points of view and they all are doing different stuff and betraying other people and murdering people to get what they want. its REALLY REALLY good for anyone who can sit down long enough to read all of the 973 pages of amazingness.

That would be Ken Follet. He wrote a sequel titled, 'World Without End' that takes place 4 years later(I have not had a chance to read that yet).

Rioghan Murchadha
24-03-2008, 04:33
Check out 'Space Marine' by Ian Watson if you can get your hands on it. I believe it was the first 40k novel ever published, and it certainly gives a 'different' take on the noble space marines. Keep in mind though, that this was written when space marine fluff was a bit deeper than 'Pray, Kill, Pray, Kill, Kill, Pray, Pose for motivational poster.'

Oh, and don't blame me if you do get a chance to read it ;)

vanquish46
24-03-2008, 06:24
That would be Ken Follet. He wrote a sequel titled, 'World Without End' that takes place 4 years later(I have not had a chance to read that yet).

ooh really?? thanks. although i have the new version of the book which takes place over like 40 years (from tom being poor to the kingsbridge cathedral being complete) so is it 4 years after that or is it included in the newer one?

vanquish46
24-03-2008, 06:27
wait nevermind. i just googled it and on his website it says it takes place 200 years later =p but it is definately a different book. Thanks a bunch for telling me about it!! :) :) :)

Logarithm Udgaur
24-03-2008, 10:26
Check out 'Space Marine' by Ian Watson if you can get your hands on it. I believe it was the first 40k novel ever published, and it certainly gives a 'different' take on the noble space marines. Keep in mind though, that this was written when space marine fluff was a bit deeper than 'Pray, Kill, Pray, Kill, Kill, Pray, Pose for motivational poster.'

Oh, and don't blame me if you do get a chance to read it ;)

If you can get your hands on it is right. I just checked Amazon and the cheapest copy is going for $170!

Drakon
25-03-2008, 04:39
If you can get your hands on it is right. I just checked Amazon and the cheapest copy is going for $170!

Dam there was a copy in my local 2nd hand store for $10 but i didnt think it would be worth the read or $170, dam it.

vanquish46
29-03-2008, 22:04
0.0 thats a lot for a book...lol

Logarithm Udgaur
30-03-2008, 04:57
Well it is in US dollars, which are becoming near worthless.

Lost_Heretic
31-03-2008, 03:42
This comes from reading a few Battletech books he wrote, so I cannot really comment on the BL stuff. Suffice to say, after reading the drivel he wrote in the Battletech universe, I did not bother to pick up anything authored by him for BL.

Uhm, I don't think he's written anything for Battletech, unless he's secretly Blaine Lee Pardoe, what with his 200 ton 'mechs running around and all. ;)

Logarithm Udgaur
31-03-2008, 12:58
Wow, you are right. I guess I owe Mr. Goto an apology.

Lost_Heretic
31-03-2008, 16:01
No problem, mate.

Here's what I've read from the Black Library, along with a quick note. 3/5 would be an 'average' read if you're looking for cheap thrills fiction.

Status: Deadzone: You probably won't find this book since it's seven years old. Still, Status Deadzone is a perfectly fine source for fans of Necromunda. 3/5
First And Only: Very interesting, fast read. There are a lot of characters though, so it's hard to keep track of any other than Gaunt the first time you read. 4/5
Necropolis: Uhm...it's basically the same thing as First And Only. Imperial Guard fighting on a battlefield against chaos. 4/5
Salvation: A Necromunda novel by C.S. Goto...I've never finished reading it. ?/5
Fifteen Hours: Very interesting and fast read about a farm boy enlisted into the Imperial Guard. 5/5
Horus Rising: It's a great source of fluff with solid action scenes. Too bad Abnett isn't good at writing social scenes, unless he just wants everyone in the 41st millenium to be really awkward. 4/5
False Gods: While not as eloquent as the first Horus Heresy novel, Graham McNeill portrays the characters better than Dan Abnett while keeping the same personalities. 5/5
Guardians of the Forest: I'm still reading this, but I'll say that it's just alright. It has a lot of information on the Wood Elves, but the mood just feels wrong. 3/5

vanquish46
04-04-2008, 05:15
Well it is in US dollars, which are becoming near worthless.

ahaha yes but to a 13 year old kid who lives in the US its a lot for a book. i could justify spending that money but not on a book :wtf:

vanquish46
04-04-2008, 05:17
yay i just checked my email and finally barnes and noble is shipping my stuff =D even though i ordered it like 3 and a half weeks ago...last time im ordering stuff from them online...

Drakon
04-04-2008, 10:27
yay got my copy of legion but started "rebel winter" the night before since i was getting impatient, but it seems like a good book so far, then its my legion. O and i recommend "wolfs honour" especaily to the SW fans. Took two days to read as i just couldnt put it down

brambleten
04-04-2008, 11:47
i found the 4 Soul Drinkers books a good read, and they inspired my own Soul Drinker Army (what happens if they follow Abraxes instead of kill him, and keep Tellos alive)
the Ravenor series is good, although i found the ending a bit weak (i got the first ravenor book from a charity shop for 1. it was a signed 1st edition :D). Double Eagle was good as well. i havent read any of the gaunts ghosts novels, or the eisenhorn omnibus, but i will.
Gotrek + Felix FTW!

vanquish46
12-04-2008, 22:00
i jut finished reading nightbringer and warriors of ultramar (first two books of the ultramarines omnibus) and they were great :)

victorpofa
13-04-2008, 01:15
The Ciaphas Cain omnibus is really a fun read. If you like IG you'll really like this book. I've just started it and I'm really liking it alot. It's based on a Comissar that's a little on the shady/ cowardly side, but always ends up looking like a hero which get's him into more and more dangerous situations.

I just finished this Omnibus Wednesday. Fun read. I can't wait for the second Omnibus :D