PDA

View Full Version : First Tournie

Dazed and Confused
12-03-2008, 13:07
There is a new concern in the big what WFB army debate I've been having- I have accidentally signed up for a 2250point tournament in July. These things happen. I still want a fluffy army, but now cost has become a factor! Could someone provide me with a sliding scale of each army for the cost of collecting an army from scratch please? If this isn't possible then at the moment I have the Beasts of Chaos army book, a box of bret Men at Arms and am thinking about OK and TK, so comments on any of these would be welcome!

Braad
12-03-2008, 13:14
That can be a bit difficult, since cost mainly depends on how far you want to take it...

But my guess is that armies with large amounts of models and/or lots of metal tend to be more expensive.

lachlin
12-03-2008, 13:53
How does one accidentally sign up for a tournament? :)

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
12-03-2008, 15:30
Ogres would be the thing, battalion boxes aplenty along with medium conversion to get heroes and stuff from normal plastics and you have an army!

Dazed and Confused
12-03-2008, 21:18
How does one accidentally sign up for a tournament? :)

Someone said "shall I sign you up", I said "yeah, go on then."

Could've happened to anyone.

I then woke up the following morning and thought "oh dear. I've not thought this through."

lachlin
12-03-2008, 23:40
Go Brets! They hit hard and an army can be built up in a realatively short amount of time.

zak
13-03-2008, 00:14
Ogres would be your best bet. Small numbers, easy to paint and fairly cheap.

Brets - If you want them painted this would not be my choice.

Famder
13-03-2008, 00:21
Go Brets! They hit hard and an army can be built up in a realatively short amount of time.
He said he wanted a Cheap army. At upwards of $50 per box this army isn't for the small walletted.

Ogre Kingdoms is a good cheap army. You can also use your Men-at-arms for Dogs of War to add some variety to the army. Dwarves also have an army box that contains a decent starting army. Supplement it with heroes and more warmachines and you've got an army, for under $300. Wood Elves can also be done fairly easily with a couple battalions, characters and some other supplementations.

lachlin
13-03-2008, 14:26
I don't know where you are buying your models at, but a box of bretonnian knights cost 35 bucks at the LGS. That is a far cry from "upwards of $50 a box" and puts about 216 points on the field. 5 boxes of Knights (if you are going for the all cav army) can make you 3 lances of KOTR, 2 lances of Knights errant. A 6th box can make you 6 grail knights, leaving two models left over for a lord and a paladin BSB buy a couple of damsels and you have 2250 points that are fast, has a ward save for the entire army and hits like a sledge hammer on the charge for around 240 bucks.

Finnigan2004
13-03-2008, 14:53
Could be that he's Canadian. They cost 45.00 plus tax here, and don't even get started on the cost of grail knights.

Dazed and Confused
13-03-2008, 16:05
Well I'm a Brit, if that makes any difference. I don't think I could bring myself to go all Cav. I actually bought the Men at Arms to be used in conversions in my Witch Hunter army, but they are cracking models. And I love the Trebuchet. I spoke to the guy who invited me to the tournie though and he reckons a lot of people use Brets at tournies, and I like to be different. So my men at arms may be destined to become corpses and trophies on a beast or OK army (I don't think TK take trophies do they?!)

FurryMiguell
13-03-2008, 17:11
To be different TK would be the way as I have onyl seen one TK army in a tourney ever (played by a good friend of mine). Cheap? well, I guess you could get e decent OK army for a little less then expencive as mentioned, but I personally dont like the models so I wouldnt go that way.

HoC could be very cheap to build (mind this is a expencive hobby:p) as a unit of chosen warriors of khorne with a magical banner can cost... well... a lot of points! three chaos warriors boxes, a unit of 5 chaos chosen knights, a mounted lord and two heroes, one for each of the blocks should get you well under way at not to high a prize, though the knights are very expencive.

Lizzies are also a cheap army (as the miniatures are very expencive pts wise). a few boxes of lizzy warriors, some cold one riders, a box of skinks and the slann froggy thingy on the hoovering thorne should get you way up there with the big armies in no time (and both of the armies ive sugested are fast and easy to paint with little or no conversions required).

I cant imagine a beastmen army beeing cheap in any way (as it is a horde army that require a lot of miniatures). As you dont want an all cavy army, the only really cheap not-all-mounted armies are lizzy and HoC.

Good luck! I myself have a entirely new 1,500pts 40k army to model and paint for tourney next winter and I cant start th project before my DE and goblinwolfrider armies are complete.

Cheers:D

Dazed and Confused
13-03-2008, 18:09
(mind this is a expencive hobby:p)

Tell me about it! What with fishing, shooting, tuning my car AND GW I am permanently broke!

I may have to give in and go with the army I like and get it as inexpensively as poss. I do like the TK minis, but I love to convert and theme, and this seems tough with a TK army. Plus these men at arms are either going to be painted up and in the army or strewn about as corpses and trophies, so again perhaps TK not a good idea.

wizzbang_tps
13-03-2008, 18:36
I would go for VC because its the closest to TK in models and you can convert your men at arms to grave guard or whatever. Should save you some bucks there.

From one box of 16 skellies you could make 32 by pretending they are raising from their graves for example. That should save you some money aswell.

There are tons of other things you can think of and since you said you like to convert, which shouldn't be so expensive, I think this army is perfect for you.

Good luck.

FurryMiguell
13-03-2008, 20:32
I would personally just do the army I like best. No reason rushing an army to the feet if you cant stand the models, hate painting it, and are even worse of gaming with it!

Do your beastmen if you like them:p. But if you still want that cheap army, I second what wizbang_tps said;)

Cheers:D