PDA

View Full Version : Idea overload!

mistformsquirrel
13-03-2008, 01:20
Ok, so; I've been having a lot of ideas lately... largely thanks to the fact that a new possible employment opportunity might just leave me with more disposable income (as in, substantially more); and so I'd be able to pursue my ideas a bit more freely.

But I'm having trouble nailing down which project to go with, because I want (and plan) to do them all eventually... >.<; Gah! Halp me Warseer, your my only hope!

So here's the options as I'm seeing them presently:

#1 - Cat-people race using wood elf list with a Native American/Islander feel.

This is the idea that I originally had planned as my definite "next project" before I found out about this job opportunity. Its relatively low model count, and the conversions, while not simple, shouldn't be too difficult either. Plus it lets me explore a corner of the Warhammer world that doesn't get much press. (ie: The other side of Lustria, south of the Vampire Coast)

The main thing holding the army up from being "Definitely go with this now", is that compared to other ideas I have, this one will require me do a fair bit of planning to make sure the army comes out with a uniform look. I want my folks to look tribal, not completely disorganized, ya know? So there's much sketching I need to do to plan out the themes I plan to explore. So in short, it shouldn't take long once I have it planned out (compared to a larger army); but its going to take a lot of man-hours in the planning stages.

#2 - Daemon Army; having my Chaos Lord ascend and become a Daemon Prince

This idea is a bit more recent; but I had the idea of expanding my original Chaos army with a large (army-worthy in its own right) Daemon contingent for some time; and the upcoming Daemon book seems like a good opportunity for just that.

This one also lets me explore some ideas about exactly what a Daemon is; so it also lets me dig into the fabric of the Warhammer world a bit. (If you can't tell, that's one of my favorite things to do, explore the "What ifs?" of the not-totally-defined locales and things)

The concept here would be that since my Chaos Lord was a "Good" character, as in she saw in Tzeentch a bringer of hope and salvation for oppressed people, that when she ascends to Daemon Princehood after great service, she would become something of an arch-angel in form. Ie: Less spikey crazy, more like a Diablo-style Angel (Black skin, white hair, glowing tentacle-esque wings, blazing eyes... plenty Chaotic, but not so "evil" looking)

The Daemons in question, being manifestations of Hope instead of some of Tzeentch's other aspects, might also bear more resemblance to 'good' creatures; albeit with plenty of Chaotic twists.

This army would require more conversion work (substantially) than the first, but I think planning wise it'll be relatively simple, since I just need to mix imagery of angels and Chaos until I feel I've hit the right blend. I've already got many ideas swirling on that front really.

3rd - The final possibility is to focus on 40k for awhile; a definite possibility as I've had a hankering to start (and finish) a 40k army... but Fantasy clings strong so I'm less-than-certain there. Obviously I don't want to elaborate what plans I have for 40k here since well, its not fantasy! But I do want opinions, including maybe if I should try to expand the game systems I'm involved in instead of just sticking to fantasy.

So what say you all? Thoughts and ideas? Obviously in the end the decision is going to come down to what I decide, but I'm looking for people's thoughts to help me. (That's why this isn't a poll, I don't want just "Check *option 1*" I want to see thought processes where possible.

Thanks for your time!

anarnii
13-03-2008, 02:18
you haver to go with the cat people!! thats a great idea, and altough i think your looking for it to be a 'good' army there is background somewhere (in the beastman book i think) about tigermen, wether these would have to be chaos formed is a different matter, as lizardmen are very much half lizard half man, no reasons why there cant be a feline version.

especially with the warhammer bird man project im working on at the moment (using the lizardman list) as an alternative race tested by the old ones, using lots of kroot and even more conversions.

good luck with the cat people, make sure you post a log on warseer, i want to see!

Bregalad
13-03-2008, 02:47
For catpeople, have a look at Wargod Aegyptus Basti army ( http://www.battlefield-berlin.de/shop/index.php?list=WG312 ) , plus some Lionpeople from Reaper (e.g. 02880: Lion Man). Saves you a lot of greenstuff ;)

mistformsquirrel
13-03-2008, 02:54
Yeah, whatever my next army is there'll definitely be a log; I have a camera now and am hopelessly starved for attention... ok really its just the fact that I need feedback to improve, as my painting is still 'eh'. (I mean its not the worst painting ever or anything; but its not great either by any stretch, pretty flat and a lil boring, converting is what I'm good at.)

Definitely going non-Chaotic for my cat people; originally I was going to go with non-evil Beastmen, since there were those mentions of Tigerfolk; and I thought that could be cool; but I realized there was too much temptation for me to try to tie this army to my Chaos army, and that causes no end of trouble. (I'm a narrative person <x.x>; it would be a mess I assure you!) That and while I love Chaos, I would like to just get away from it for awhile. I'm not 100% sure of the origins of this race just yet, but Chaos, at least as a continued influence on them, is probably not going to be it. That's why this is going to be a tough project if I do it next >.> there's a lot of background to work up. (Then again, nothing worth doing is ever easy!)

Gah, so many ideas <x.x> *brain fizzles* Thanks for the opinion!

*edit*

@Bregalad - Those are very interesting... I'm not 100% sure if those are quite the direction I'm leaning, but I'm definitely going to give it some deep thought before I decide for sure. At the very least they give me some inspiration, thanks for the link!

Johnnyfrej
13-03-2008, 03:34
3rd - The final possibility is to focus on 40k for awhile; a definite possibility as I've had a hankering to start (and finish) a 40k army... but Fantasy clings strong so I'm less-than-certain there. Obviously I don't want to elaborate what plans I have for 40k here since well, its not fantasy! But I do want opinions, including maybe if I should try to expand the game systems I'm involved in instead of just sticking to fantasy.

I say if you already have a fantasy army get your feet wet with a little 40k. That is the same reason why I moved from my beloved Imperial Guard to the Empire.

BTW, I don't think it wouldn't be impossible to have cat people in 40k. I mean its a big galaxy right? There has to be one planet out there that has anthropormorphized cat people damnit!
You could field them as an IG army that is conscripted from a planet of Cat/human people and focus them like Catachans. Hell, you could be set just buying Catachan models and using Green Stuff to add ears and whiskers then painting them with tiger stripes.
Just an idea of course. ;)

-Private Jon

mistformsquirrel
13-03-2008, 09:35
Well if I go 40k, it'll be with Sisters of Battle <@_@>b (Though I had considered doing the cat race in 40k, though I'd probably use the Kroot list most of the time, with IG as a "when it HAS to be tourney legal" thing)

Ethlorien
13-03-2008, 13:57
I have to go with cat people here. I think the idea sounds great. As mentioned before, the BoC army boks hints on a tiger beastman, and those Basti models from wargods are very nice
http://www.crocodilegames.com/ (I have a few of their miniatures and really like them).

I like the idea you had for Chaos - good fluff - but think cat people would look niced on the tabletop.

Finnigan2004
13-03-2008, 15:13
This may not be what you are looking for, but it might allow you to combine two of the goals. You could go with a daemonic army, which would allow you to accomplish goals 2 and 3 at the same time. I have found that I have always wanted to start 40k, but I simply prefer the fantasy models. This has left me with a blood angels army and an eldar army that would literally take only a couple of weeks to finish painting, but which get sidelined in favor of my 50 or so fantasy armies (o.k., slight exageration, but only slight).

Anyhow, I was excited about the prospects for my daemonic legion, which has been shelved for a bit over a year when I found out that there would be a new army book for them. Then I realized that with the simultaneous release of a 40k codex for daemons, I already have a massive 40k army already painted-- oh happy day!

Armilthuan
13-03-2008, 15:57
I hate and love you both for posting this Bregalad and mistformsquirrel, because now I HAVE to make a cat army with those models...

Sometimes, being a furry is deliciously wonderfull. :D

Mercules
13-03-2008, 18:22
I have to go with cat people here. I think the idea sounds great. As mentioned before, the BoC army boks hints on a tiger beastman, and those Basti models from wargods are very nice
http://www.crocodilegames.com/ (I have a few of their miniatures and really like them).

I like the idea you had for Chaos - good fluff - but think cat people would look niced on the tabletop.

Oh thank you for that link. I would so love to use those Wendigo models for my OK Yhettees. I would only need to convert the weapons slightly to be ice clubs. I have 6 Yhetees right now and I am trying to figure out how to put them together to look nice and not like 2-3 copies of the same crappy figure. :) I may add bulke with greenstuff if I decide I can manage it.

mistformsquirrel
14-03-2008, 01:36
Hmm...

@Finnigan - Question <o.O> How would I deal with the Sqaure vs Circular bases issue? I'd vaguely considered that (and it'd be kinda cool to have my ascended Chaos Lord still kicking around in the 41st Millennium; even if 40k and Fantasy aren't connected, the Warp seems to span both just the same) An interesting thought at the very least!

@Armilthuan - <^_^> Good luck! I'm personally going a little less anthropomorphized when I do this, but that's just personal preference; hope you have fun with your project!

Hmm... Sorta leaning catfolk at the moment; if for nothing else than I already had them in my brain first >.< but we'll see. Thanks all, really appreciate the ideas and such; the more ideas that go through my head, the better my final things will come out <@_@>m

<-- Brain like a steel sieve.

More opinions are definitely appreciated too!

sigur
14-03-2008, 01:45
Sorry to interrupt, I'm just asking because I can't remember; how many different armies did you start within the past 6 months?;)

anarnii
14-03-2008, 01:46
i still think cat people all the way, what army book are you going to use? im thinking maybe wood elves would be best for the tribal nature, although it depends what gaming style you want to play.

treekin could be giant orgre style catpeople, less intelligent, maybe just using catogres as an idea, as the tiger people in the beast book i mentioned say they are Ind, would be cool if we an indian tribal feel to go with the tigers. you could paint basic cats a sandy colour, or a brown, like a lynx, scouts (and maybe waywatchers if you go for the WE list) could be painted black like a jaguar, and elites like eternal guard could be like tiger strips.

or maybe even better, if you went with the WE list glade riders could be like centaurs, with a tiger body and more human torso. might work better than a cat riding a horse or something. and for the tiger body you could use the sabre tusk (ogre kingdoms models) or even better the lions for the new high elf chariot!

very exciting project!

mistformsquirrel
14-03-2008, 01:53
Sorry to interrupt, I'm just asking because I can't remember; how many different armies did you start within the past 6 months?;)

I can't even begin to count <x.x>;; I get ideas so fast I can't even start to keep up with em Sigur! A lot of it just gets packed away into a fluff archive on my computer (I write a lot). That's where my Eldar, Marine, Guard and Tau ideas are all at right now... And then there's the ones I actually got started, like my Warmachine Khador...

This one though is a definite "Will get minis and create" thing >.> cause I seriously am almost totally out of stuff to paint, and then I'm gonna be ****** bored if I don't have more to do!

@anarnii - Definitely using the WE list >.> I'm planning on using the Lions from the HE chariots for my Wild Riders (well, and a converted one as a Great Stag for my general). Going to avoid any treekin and the like though, I'd really given it consideration; but in the end I wanted to keep the fantastic monsters to the side and focus primarily on the people. Then if I expand later maybe add crazier stuff - like for instance a Leonine Titan type thing for a Treeman Ancient or DOW Giant.

I guess I've some sketching to do!

MalusCalibur
14-03-2008, 02:05
Oh good god do the Daemons.

Please.

I would KILL to see a WFB model of Tyrael :D

MalusCalibur

Drogmir
14-03-2008, 02:24
As long as you don't call the cat people Kilrathi I'm fine.

Maybe you should make an army with cowboy and American Civil War themes to balance it out.

Finnigan2004
14-03-2008, 03:35
The square vs. circular base issue is not that big in my opinion. Mine are based on square bases because I play mostly fantasy. Talking to people, this should not be an issue because the difference in base size is pretty minimal. If you want though, you can base your troops on a round base (bloodletters, etc.), and since you are using movement trays in fantasy, you can just make sure that the right number rank up according to the size of the tray. You should be fine with things like cavalry (flesh hounds) because they use the same base. I'm not sure about my crushers, but think that they use the same bases as in 40k.

All of that said, I plan on rebasing most of my daemonic legion because I've actually made an army of converted orcs into werewolves using all GW parts. I'm going to use them as my fantasy daemons and just slap new bases on my other daemons to make 40k more seamless.

mistformsquirrel
14-03-2008, 04:04
Well; I started sketching for the cat people project; though I plan to do at least some sketching on the Daemon army idea as well as I go along.

Anyway - for further updates on the whackiness of my brain, I've decided to create a post in the Art and Stories section <x,x> once I've got the concept well ironed out and (hopefully by them have my job) I'll start a PLog in the painting and modeling area. (My painting ain't so great; but hopefully my converting will keep it interesting, and maybe my painting will improve with suggestions from people!)

Here's a link to my Art and Stories section thing:

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2437187#post2437187

@Finnigan - I'm going to keep that in mind. Cause even if I don't do the Daemons right now, this is an idea I really want to pursue eventually; the image in my head for it is really spiffy >.< especially the model for my Daemon Prince herself. (I may just do that particular model up in the near future and leave the army to be done later)