PDA

View Full Version : Can Vampires cast while wearing armor?

AlexCage
13-03-2008, 15:48
Ok now that I've got your attention I've got a real question.

I'm a little unclear on the staff of Damnation. It says models engaged in close combat may make 1 attack in the magic phase.

So am I correct in interperting this as 1 attack from anything, be it a 5 attack Vampire to a lowly 2 attack ghoul?

If that is the case, do spears still get to attack?

This question inspired by the Ghouls Vs Skeleton debate/thread.

Apologies if this was already asked or is fairly obvious, I did not see where it was mentioned previously.

EvC
13-03-2008, 16:01
One attack is one attack. Same as how it works with Tomb Kings. To determine if spears can attack, it depends if they've charged into combat, and if the wording on the item mentions all models, or just those in base contact with the enemy.

GodHead
13-03-2008, 17:47
Why do I have a sneaking suspicion that this thread title was meant to get my notice?
;)

EvC is correct. Only one attack per model, regardless of the number of attacks on their profile. There is precedence for allowing special attacks and abilities, such as the Destroyer of Eternities and Unstoppable Assault for Bone Giants. In that vein I would allow a Vampire with Red Fury that inflicts a wound to make an additional attack.

Also spears would be allowed for Staff of Damnation as it says "in close combat," while the Tomb Kings Incantation of Righteous Smiting says "they are in base contact with."

AlexCage
13-03-2008, 17:58
Why do I have a sneaking suspicion that this thread title was meant to get my notice?
;)

I have been caught... :D

Hey it was guaranteed to catch attention, at least! hah.

But much appreciative of the clarification, I was operating under the false assumption it effectively created another combat phase. The staff seems less wonderful now...

But still quite useful for giant blocks of spearmen!

GodHead
13-03-2008, 18:02
It would also be useful for a unit of Blood Knights on the charge too (not that I'm sure they need it). Sure they only get one attack each, but they're quite strong attacks, and the horses go too. They could easily strip an entire rank before the combat phase even starts.

Regardless of the unit you're using it on, you should try and get Vanhels off for the re-rolls first, making the attacks all the more useful.
--> EDIT: Looking at Vanhels, it's possible by RAW that it wouldn't help, as Vanhels specifically states "in the next Close Combat phase." The intent is likely to be that it would benefit them during the magic phase as well however. I will submit this to the FAQ thread on Warhammer.org.uk

It is quite an expensive item though, and suited to only certain specialized uses.

Lordsaradain
13-03-2008, 18:47
It would also be useful for a unit of Blood Knights on the charge too (not that I'm sure they need it). Sure they only get one attack each, but they're quite strong attacks, and the horses go too. They could easily strip an entire rank before the combat phase even starts.

Hehe. Evil as it may be, wouldn't it be slightly overkill?
What can survive a charge from a unit of Blood knights?
Afaik, there is no way a rank and file unit can beat them(unless the VC player rolls horribly).

Dendo Star
13-03-2008, 20:20

There is no such thing as overkill. There is only "Open Fire!" and "Reload".

Jack of Blades
13-03-2008, 20:40
You forgot the ''CHARGE! HACK! MAIM! BUTCHER! MUTILATE! ARRRR''.

sulla
13-03-2008, 21:08
What can survive a charge from a unit of Blood knights?
Afaik, there is no way a rank and file unit can beat them(unless the VC player rolls horribly).

HE elites? Haven't run the numbers but swordmasters and white lions should do alright. Even a big block of spears with a great weapon character may be a worry for the knights... and being so few in a unit usually, losing a single round of combat could mean curtains for them...pop!