PDA

View Full Version : Barded black knights: How would you do them?

Malorian
13-03-2008, 19:42
So the black knights can take barding but the models don't really have that option. What are you going to do to make them?

-Add barding to the existing model?
-Take another model (like empire knights) and heavily convert?
-Don't convert and just say they are barded?
-Don't use barding because it's too much trouble?

I'm planning to take a unit of seven, but that was before I got to thinking how I would actually make them... and I could just use the 28 points somewhere else...

GodHead
13-03-2008, 19:53
I think Bret horses with converted "feets's" and heads would look amazing if done right.

Malorian
13-03-2008, 19:58
The problem with the bret horses is that the leg travels up on the inside of the barding while being attached to it, and would be hard to cut out.

I just wise it wasn't a 'skeletal' steed and just undead or etherialor something so I could just use another horse and paint it spooky.

But it would be cool if done right.

GodHead
13-03-2008, 20:03
Yes I recognize it would be difficult, but all the other solutions would seem lacking. They could be a great focal point of your army, and I think the large cape-like Brett barding would give you lots of room for expressing the ethereal quality of the unit through paint scheme.

Depending on your skill with the conversion they could easily be a centerpiece unit, and regardless of your skill they'd look infinitely better than the regular skeletal steeds.

Lord Inquisitor
13-03-2008, 20:07
Some of the older vampire horses have heads suitable for bretonnian barding. You can always use some greenstuff to make the rest of the horse look zombie-like.

Personally I've made them using the plastic Empire knights using skeleton and skeleton horse bits to make them undead. I'll post pics later (they're still WIP at the moment) if people would like...

Oberon
13-03-2008, 20:19
Just take TK horse, and empire knightly order-horse. Then cut the legs of the living horse away, and carve a hole for the bone tail of TK horse. Then clap those halves of barding around the TK horse and there you have it. Knight+grave guard makes fine heavily armoured black knights too.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
13-03-2008, 20:20
Hmmm..

Bret horses are the best for this plan....

Construct as normal, barring making the head Skeletal looking (easyish task if you have Skeleton horses kicking about!). Instead of messing around swapping the feet, simply hide them with white wool stuff to create an ethereal fog around the lower parts of the body.

Job done!

Kirth
13-03-2008, 20:26
The Red Duke's horse would fit the bill easily. The simplest, most expensive option. lol

http://uk.games-workshop.com/vampirecounts/blood-knights/2/

The first guy on the right. You used to be able to bitz order it, but I can't find it atm.

wolfenstein
13-03-2008, 20:29
yeh the red dudes horse is quite nice and expensive but you would have to order the whole model!

Briohmar
13-03-2008, 20:32
Another option, and probably the sigle most cost effective, but modeling intensive would be to fashion some barbing onto the skeletal horses using greenstuff and plasticard. I've seen this done very effectively before. It needn't be segmented armor like on an empire knight, nor does it need to be a full flowing horse blanket such as the old brettie steeds. but easily a tattered blanket would do well, with some shredded pieces hanging off the bones and done the flanks of the steed. Certainly would give the impression without a whole lot of effort.

Malorian
13-03-2008, 20:32
Do you guys even think that the barding is worth it? Are you putting barding on your models?

I'm just looking at this and it's getting pricy, so I have to make sure this is actually a good way to go. Not to mention I'm not the best when converting and using green stuff...

I take lizardmen cav in units of 7 (same T4 and 3+ save) and they do fine...

fluffystuff
14-03-2008, 00:23
I'm going for dire wolves as the steed, using skeleton legs and graveguard torsos and heads. I thought it would be a bit different:) I'll try and model a greenstuff saddle and reins.

Goldenwolf
14-03-2008, 00:33
Just get some screen material from the hardware store. A few snips and some glue.

theunwantedbeing
14-03-2008, 01:51
The barding is worth it.
2+ saves dont fail anywhere near as often as 3+ saves do.

I had to face 2 units of 10 black knights a few hours ago, had he given them the barding they'de of lasted a lot longer than they did.
Plus they dont suffer the movement penalty for having it (which is why its 4pts not 2)

Definitely worth having it, most people just buy empire or bretonnian knights and use them as black knights, so the barding is already on the model.

vorac
14-03-2008, 02:16
i have a unit of 6 which i made just like Oberon did, it was painstaking but worth it, but i have another 15 to do and would like an easier way to do it, since it is definetly worth it if you don't have a movement penalty.

ehlijen
14-03-2008, 02:57
You could just use brettonian horses and pain the in the same ghostly fashion as spirit hosts and say they are ghost horses.

The Problem with bret horses is that no other riders fit on them without converting their butts a little.

senorcardgage
14-03-2008, 03:31
You should just tape some pencil shavings to them! That's what I would do!

EvC
14-03-2008, 12:21
I'm just lazy and will continue to use my flesh and bone Empire horses. If anyone doesn't like it... don't care! :D

Ixquic
14-03-2008, 12:28
I put the Necrarch horse's head on the Bret horse's body and just painted the legs a zombie green kind of color.

I'm glad I had the foresight to do that before GW screwed over their bits order service. Now I would still use the Bret horses and just paint the head green as well since the current Black Knights look horrible and aren't worth buying, especially at $10 a pop.

Amon 'Chakai
14-03-2008, 12:39
I use Bret horse and just paint them to look ethereal.

Ixquic
14-03-2008, 12:41
I use Bret horse and just paint them to look ethereal.

That's a cool idea. If I ever do more I'll do that.

Lordsaradain
14-03-2008, 13:40
Black Knights:
http://img431.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0029e3xd.jpg
I took the bretonnia knight and gave them skelly heads and I also used alot of spare bits from empire. Alternatively, you can use the empire knights.

Chiron
14-03-2008, 14:28
I'm just lazy and will continue to use my flesh and bone Empire horses. If anyone doesn't like it... don't care! :D

What he said, with my empire army winding down and having plenty of skulls spare its easy enough...

W0lf
14-03-2008, 16:03
people actally buy the black knight models!!!!????

Thats news to me. Mine are (going to be) empire knights painted in black dusty/rusted armour.

Amon 'Chakai
14-03-2008, 16:15
I'm not quite sure why anyone would, they are really bad.

AlexCage
14-03-2008, 16:37
Why did they not redo the Skeletal Horse... *sigh* maybe when it comes time to do TK. One can hope.

Personally I'm just using Grave Guard torsos, probably on Brettonian Legs, maybe with Brettonian Horses. Still not sold on that idea. But likely give them Bret lances, also. I've got a bunch of spares with the Fleur De Lys already shaved off, so shouldn't be a problem...

If I could buy just the horses I'd think about using the Empire Barded horses, but I can't &#$*ing find anywhere to buy JUST a horse *grumbles*

Malorian
14-03-2008, 19:49
It's not worth getting the horses anyway. I once got a box of brets that had all the riders but no horses, so I ordered them seperately (should have just complained and got a new box...)

Turns out it was more expensive to buy the 8 horses than just buying a whole new box of knights... So basically between GW and my stupidity I was REALLY screwed over...