PDA

View Full Version : Marauder Armies

Philhelm
07-10-2005, 20:14
Is it possible to create an all Marauder army? Are there Marauder characters or would I have to use a Chaos Warrior hero? What kinds of weapon options can the Marauders have?

Bal
07-10-2005, 21:08
There are no marauder characters, sorry dude.
Marauders can have flails right?
and they can ride horses!!!

shen-yong
07-10-2005, 21:24
In UKWD309 at the end of the article written about Skeggi, the norse settlement in Lustria there are the rules for marauder lord and aspiring champion.

Basically, just their point costs and equipment lists are different from the 'normal' ones.

Unfortunately there were no norse shamans.

Jewtastic!
07-10-2005, 22:24
You can just use the rules for Chaos characters but convert suitable models......

Nazguire
07-10-2005, 23:14
Is it possible to create an all Marauder army? Are there Marauder characters or would I have to use a Chaos Warrior hero? What kinds of weapon options can the Marauders have?

Marauder Chieftains and Lord of Skeggi there are yes. They came in the White Dwarf when the Lustria thing was at its heighest (which means, was barely perceived by gamers). Basically the Marauders don't get Chaos armour, have slightly lowered stats, cost slightly less than a Chaos Lord and can have a Cold One mount.

Other than that the Chaos Exalted Champion/Marauder Chieftain and Chaos Lord/Skeggi Lord are identical. Oh yeah, Marauders can have a flail :eek: :wtf:

lorelorn
08-10-2005, 03:40

Yes you can create an all-marauder army. If you really want to do this I would strongly recommend you take a look at the Storm of Chaos book. When you have 25 marauders in a unit, you get the command (standard, champion, musician) for free. Plus there is a special character (Crom) who when taken gives your army the mark of chaos undivided. This helps a lot.

As to characters, you will have to use the chaos characters that come in the book, but modelling a marauder chieftain or shaman is a good army project and well worth undertaking. Older GW figures and current figures from other rnages are good for this purpose.

Lossion
08-10-2005, 04:25
One of my regular opponents made a marauder horde, and was quite successful with it. I believe it was the SoC list and it did have Crom. He threw in some converted chaos chariots and bam it was pretty boss. I wont give away anymore of his secrets but it can be done, and it can work just dont plan on winning all the time. It can be fragile.

Nazguire
08-10-2005, 08:50
Yes you can create an all-marauder army. If you really want to do this I would strongly recommend you take a look at the Storm of Chaos book. When you have 25 marauders in a unit, you get the command (standard, champion, musician) for free. Plus there is a special character (Crom) who when taken gives your army the mark of chaos undivided. This helps a lot.

As to characters, you will have to use the chaos characters that come in the book, but modelling a marauder chieftain or shaman is a good army project and well worth undertaking. Older GW figures and current figures from other rnages are good for this purpose.

You can now make ALL Marauder armies, you'll just need the White Dwarf to do it. Nothing big changes in the stats as I mentioned before. Just enough for everyone to go 'awww a marauder on a Cold One, how cutie' and make one with a list to boot.

Zeb
08-10-2005, 08:55
Auzu,used to have one. The only problem with his was (when I played it) that he didn't use any Maruder Horsemen. So an all infantry maruder army was no match for theDruchii...

But of course it can be done, use normal characters from the HoC book. I would defenatly not use a SC basicly because I don't like them, and most tournaments don't allow it. And I think it's more fun to use your own characters.

Lord Lucifer
08-10-2005, 11:45
I'd advise making a heavily marauder-oriented Chaos list.

Marauders on there own are a good backbone and bulk element of an army, but they lack a lot of punch, and have fewer ranged and/or harrassment troops that other infantry-based armies may have

Using the odd smattering of Chaos Warrior or Chaos Knights as elite elements as they really should be, gives you an impressively large chaos army that can lose a few units without taking too much of a hit to the Victory Points, and still retains an impressive amount of punch to break the locked combats your Marauders will inevitably find themselves in

Sanjuro
08-10-2005, 11:49
In an all-marauder army, I think DoW duellists are VITAL to the army's performance.

You can arm them with throwing knives and convert them up to look suitably chaos-esque and then you have a very valuable harassing unit (which does take up a rare slot each, but there really isn't anything else there for a marauder horde). The importance of skirmishers and disrupting troops in a mostly infantry-block army cannot be overestimated.

I'd take 2 units of 10 actually.

samw
08-10-2005, 13:21
(which does take up a rare slot each, but there really isn't anything else there for a marauder horde).

:eek: Nothing else to spend rare slots on!

Spawn! Fantastic for 60 points. Unbreakable units are a must have. A speedbump for medium-heavy cav, or simply to hold your opponent in place. A must have in any chaos army, but especially in one with relatively few rock-hard units.

Anyway I would highly recommend a BSB, with Banner of the Gods if you have the points. Stubborn and re-rolls. :evilgrin:

Philhelm
08-10-2005, 17:24
Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. So, Marauders can have flails, but is that all? No greatweapons? I wanted the Marauders to be Norse themed (unoriginal I suppose, but oh well), and figured that I could use Ogres and wolves to spice up the army selection. The Ogres could be kind of like frost giants and the chaos hounds would be regular wintery wolves. Can a Hordes of Chaos army have ogres or Chaos hounds? I'm not sure.

Latro
08-10-2005, 17:46
Marauders come with handweapons and can be equiped with:

- light armour and/or shields
- flails or great weapons

Those weapons however are usually best reserved for either small hitty flanking units, or large regiments with a combat character to prevent the enemy from killing all the poor marauders before they have a chance to use their big shiny weapons.

:cool:

yohanes13
08-10-2005, 19:59
I love the idea of an all maurauder army maurauder lords with socerors backed up by maurauder infantry ,horseman, chariots (easy conversion and use rules for chaos chariots), warhounds(would suit fluff of raiding party excelently) for rare spawn would work but also consider dow war machines and missile troops and converting crew/troops to be marauders ie bronsinos galoper guns, ogre mercenaries would be characterfull and they are after all chaos so daemons and beast up for grabs as "alies"

i think theres more than enough form a well ballanced army and with a base ws of 4 you could give most aarmies a run for thier money, also due to this strange obsesion people have with collecting pointy eared ponsys youll have lots of armies around to wipe the floor with.

Nazguire
08-10-2005, 21:14
I love the idea of an all maurauder army maurauder lords with socerors backed up by maurauder infantry ,horseman, chariots (easy conversion and use rules for chaos chariots)

That said, it'd be great if we had rules for Marauder Chariots again in this addition. A cheaper less hard hitting chariot that helps to fill a flanking role, much like the difference between Goblin and Orc Chariots, would be greatly appreciated.

samw
08-10-2005, 22:27
I think for marauder chariots most people simply use the beast chariot rules.

Sanjuro
09-10-2005, 08:54
:eek: Nothing else to spend rare slots on!

No, nothing else. I don't exactly see any marauder units in the rare slots of the chaos army lists, and none that can be converted/counted as such. Spawn are not marauders by any stretch of the imagination, and the poster said he/she wanted an all-marauder army.

But yeah, spawn are terrific. Just incredibly useful. So two spawn and a unit of duellists would be his best bet, if he decides to move away from the all-marauder army idea and use other types of units as well.

mooze
09-10-2005, 13:33
I use a marauder army sometime and it is a lot of fun. I do use a pile of marauder horse in it (mar horse w/flails charge in at str 5)I use the basic characters though.Way back when there used to be marauder characters and chariots and thugs with bows (basically marauders with bows) It's high time to bring those back.

andyg
18-10-2005, 20:59
Why dont you use your Rare slots to hire some DOW.

I have just started a Marauder army and have hire a unit of NOrse men armed with two hand weapons with frenzy. (A little more expensive but worth the points)

shen-yong
19-10-2005, 20:38
Do anyone know, if I Equip my marauder character with HoME and mount him on a cold1, then have I test separately for their stupidity(-es) or not?

And am I right, that the rider's undivided/slaanesh mark doesn't affect the mount's stupidity?

edit: And what if the rider is frensied?

Aekold
22-10-2005, 12:55
my nurgle army is gonna contain many marauders! cause they are really viking like! hehe but not mine thou! mine have zombie parts in them, i play nurgle! =)

lorelorn
26-10-2005, 07:23
Do anyone know, if I Equip my marauder character with HoME and mount him on a cold1, then have I test separately for their stupidity(-es) or not?

And am I right, that the rider's undivided/slaanesh mark doesn't affect the mount's stupidity?

edit: And what if the rider is frensied?

It's one unit, so it's one test. Similarly if you were to put that character in a unit of chaos trolls, it would also be one test.

Savnock
01-11-2005, 21:15
It's one unit, so it's one test. Similarly if you were to put that character in a unit of chaos trolls, it would also be one test.

As far as the Mark goes, it's the mounts that are testing, but on the rider's leadership. The Mark won't allow a re-roll. If the mounted character has the helm as well, it seems logical (and fair) to leave it at one test, but not allow the re-roll as it's the mount that's testing. Rahter than being a bad thing, this is effectively a way of getting out of one of your tests scott-free.

HoME and Mark of Undivided with great weapon- ah, the Super Chopper. How I love it, and cavalry hate it. Cuts those Brettonian charges right down to size.

Wintersdark
02-11-2005, 01:50
You don't get out of a test free, it's just that you'd never need to take two tests. Just one.

Undivided WOULD get to reroll a stupidity test, though, even if it were from the mounts. The source isn't relevant.