PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Source Books

Mad Doc Grotsnik
13-03-2008, 20:41
Right, following on from my thread about Monsters, I'd like to develop a rumination that came to me whilst replying to you guys.

You see, right now, Warhammer Books all have points values etc, as they always have done. But, it seems people are less willing to break away from pointed battles, though precisely why is for another thread.

You see, back in the olden days, Warhammer had a definite Roleplay feel, and the battles were simply on aspect of the environment. Over the years, the various editions have focussed more and more on the gaming mechanics, and the roleplaying part has fallen by the way side.

So, in order to redress this, I would dearly love to see a variety of Warhammer Sourcebooks released. A bit like the Lustria book, they would detail the various areas of the Old World, and the dangers faced in each. Perhaps, for those of us who enjoy the odd objective game, even Weather rules for each locale.

The idea is that these would allow those players who aren't interested in Tournament style play to explore the Warhammer World more thoroughly with their army. True, there is always Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay for this, but I'd still like books produced for the table top version.

It would be quite a commitment from GW in terms of labour, as they would have to make each area different enough from the next to keep people buying, but on the bright side, most of the groundwork already exists, and the books need not be as big as the Lustrian one, as there wouldn't be a great need for additional army lists. Hell, they could even release them online for all I care. I just want them!

So, poll, then post please!

Sir Charles
13-03-2008, 21:00
More background is always good.

Feefait
13-03-2008, 21:11
Well, a couple points... I don't remember WH ever being more roleplay focused, or less points intensive. I do remember them not being in Army books and being so structured. That is I guess what you mean. It's always been about points though.

Now as much as I would love mreo fluff and back ground books... I'd rather see better core army books. Make them WORTH buying just to read and enjoy. If that means a Lustria book including the lizardman army list for example, great. From what I see locally the dirty, disty, bent books that don't sell and languish at the bottom of the shelf are the fluff books. Lustria, Chaos, Generals Compendium, etc.

Now what would be cool, though maybe too expensive for the average gamer would be a box set or big book like they used to do for Chaos. You could do Chaos, Lustria Human Empire etc. IN these books ti would be fluff history and army lists. Special elf on elf battle rules, etc. Maybe a box set including the book and a few models from each included army. DOn't mean to hijack the thread if that's not where you were going, it just popped into my head that I would like to see it done.

Briohmar
13-03-2008, 21:23
More fluff is always good. I bought the Slaanesh book when it came out, but it really didn't have anything of use in it. It had cool artwork, but that's all. I'd love to fight a battle in the sand where shifting sands could slow units movement, or a sudden gust of wind would give all missile troops a minus 1 to hit, or even better a pit of shades style quicksand pit. For Lustria, as in Mordheim source book, having carnivorous plants and poisonous spiders/snakes/scorpions running around would definitely lend a new aspect to the game. Lets see how that treesurfing treeman likes sharing his wood with a huge venus flytrap trying to eat him.

ZeroTwentythree
13-03-2008, 21:29
Didn't they recently do this? Loathsome Ratmen & their Vile Kin, Empire at War, Liber Chaotica, etc.

Freakiq
13-03-2008, 23:11
Lets see how that treesurfing treeman likes sharing his wood with a huge venus flytrap trying to eat him.

Sure, I'd just use the bonus forest I get to place as the surfing board.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
14-03-2008, 00:41
Didn't they recently do this? Loathsome Ratmen & their Vile Kin, Empire at War, Liber Chaotica, etc.

Yes and no.

Whilst excellent background books, they focussed on the inhabitants of the Warhammer world itself, what I would like is books about the topography, flora and fauna

Dux Ducis
14-03-2008, 01:55
Also centered around famous battles in the past perhaps?

Maybe even modified lists for battling in specific periods?

burad
14-03-2008, 02:49
I would like to see something to assist in doing campaigns. So that each battle has an effect on the next, and certain resources/troops are in fact rare so you do not have an inexhaustable supply of them.
I'd really love to see tournaments run that way, so if you lose your Stank in your 2d battle you can't have it for the third, etc.

IronBrother
14-03-2008, 02:58
Didn't the old fantasy rulebook (6th edition) have a section to generate terrain according to where you are playing. As far as the whole venus fly traps and such, armies pick to fight on places where the battlefield is more suitable to needs. And if anything like our world, which the game is based on (just look at the map of Warhammer), our history shows us that battlefields were agreed upon by opposing sides, very rarely did armies happen on each other.

SV_Harlequin
14-03-2008, 03:13
So like the old Campaign packs (Tears of Isha, Grudge .......) but more indepth and detailed.

lilljonas
14-03-2008, 04:30
So like the old Campaign packs (Tears of Isha, Grudge .......) but more indepth and detailed.

Yeah, those were nice, and the added cardboard buildings were enough to make our horribly terrain deficient group buy them.

StormCrow
14-03-2008, 07:35
The generals compendium had rules for fighting in the less inhabitable places of the world if that's the sort of thing you're talking about mad doc. It also had some racial rules and abilities for fighting campaigns (although this was for a now fairly dated and EXTREMELY COMPLEX campaign system.)

Also isn't there the whole warhammer fantasy roleplay game if you're more interested in that aspect of wargaming? There's plenty of sourcebooks for that.

If you're looking for new gameplay options or info on the races and their habitats those would probably be the best places to start. If you want to know more about the worlsd the info is out there, if you want to apply the information to your games then you're usually best off getting creative and using your own experimental rules.

Amon 'Chakai
14-03-2008, 09:50
Well, a couple points... I don't remember WH ever being more roleplay focused, or less points intensive. I do remember them not being in Army books and being so structured. That is I guess what you mean. It's always been about points though.

1st and 2nd ed. were definitely roleplay focussed.