PDA

View Full Version : Glossia

ChrisAsmadi
14-03-2008, 00:10
This was featured in the Eisenhorn trilogy, and I'm wondering if there's any other information on it.

Cheers.

Rhamag
14-03-2008, 00:49
There are some mentions in the Ravenor books, but not as much as in Eisenhorn.

Michael M.
14-03-2008, 05:50
Itīs a secret language developed and used by Inquisitor Eisenhorn to communicate securely with his colleagues.
Glossiaīs strengths lay in its idiomatic use of language. It was not encrypted, and used normal words. Meaning was derived from sentence structure, and the use of certain headwords to provide context. Eisenhorn believed Glossia to be undecipherable without inside help. Rather then a rigid formula it requires an ear for poetry, metaphor and imagery, and a knowledge of the other speakers to decode, and allows its users to improvise new terms and meanings, and still be understood. Use of Glossia depends on a knowledge of the characters and personalities privy to the code: it uses substitution words such as nicknames or code names, and often used simple verb formations to describe certain protocols.

I hope this helps

heretics bane
14-03-2008, 12:08
Its there own personal communication language, like Micheal M. has quoted. It jusst stops people from decifering there messages

AlexCage
14-03-2008, 16:22
Eisenhorn even specifically says that it has no strict definition. He uses a message one of his newest Interregators (if I recall correctly) sends him as an example, saying he'd never seen those words used in Glossia before, but it made perfect sense.

In other words: Make it up, like minded people will get it. I think it just goes along the theory that when you spend enough time with a person or group of people you tend to think along the same pattern and can instinctively understand what each one is trying to communicate to you, even if it isn't verbally. Giving this underlying 'understanding' a quasi-official language just makes it easier to communicate.

After reading the book I started speaking in Glossia to other people who had read it. I tell you man, not one of them had an ear for metaphor or poetry... Never woulda made the cut.

TheMacDiesel
14-03-2008, 17:22
To tag on... like minded people get it after *years* of spending time together in the Eisenhorn books. Centuries together, in many cases in the stories.

Emperor's Grace
14-03-2008, 18:20
I assumed that it was like "Darnok at Tanagra" (sp?) from ST:TNG.

A language based on previous stories/experience in common with each other but not others.

"Remember how we defeated the Whodats of Planet Kevix IV four years ago with a slight alteration of our standard Tactics Plan B? Let's do that same alteration now."

Stated as:

"Kevia, Plan B".

Mad Jack Deacon
14-03-2008, 18:45
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra.

Shaka, when the walls fell.

Temba, his arms wide.

Sukat, his eyes uncovered.

Kerlash, when it rises.

The river Tomak in winter.

Chinza, the court of silence.

Keazer's children, their faces wet.

Sendia, his face black, his eyes red.

Darmok and Jalad on the ocean.

nightgant98c
15-03-2008, 13:17
I bow before your Star Trek Majesty. Or something like that.

Mad Jack Deacon
17-03-2008, 02:31
I bow before your Star Trek Majesty. Or something like that.

There's no majesty here, only the interweb, my friend. It's a powerful tool that, with patience and serenity, can be used for good, or if used in anger or hatred can become a force for evil...

Ah crap. I gotta stop geekin' out...